Tottenham v. Manchester City (Sun Aug. 15 16:30 BST)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you were there, you sounded INCREDIBLE! So glad to have Spurs back.

Love this club!
Anyone know how to post a video here.

I've got a great one of the crowd singing Oh When the Spurs... I don't know how to upload it from my phone though.

I have to say I've been every home game at the new ground apart from 1. The atmosphere yesterday was probably the best, yes including the champions league nights against City and Ajax.

There was something about yesterday because of being away from the ground for so long that added a sprinkling of magic. The performance matched the effort put in by the crowd.

There were moments when Skipp and Sanchez made last ditch slides tackles at the end and the crowd were so pumped. I watched it back on the TV when I got home and you can't get a feel for how good the atmosphere was. I'm sure anyone who was at the game can corroborate this.

I genuinely felt for the first time the wall of noise from the south stand and all the acoustics were being maximised yesterday. The crowd wasn't even at capacity!

Yesterday was fantastic. I dont think we can draw too many conclusions given the stilted pre seasons for both sides; City looked extraordinarily open every time we won the ball.

What stood out though was the fight, the willingness to engage. In our pomp, we dominated the physical battles in the centre of the pitch with Dembele and Wanyama. We completely lost it in Poch's last 12 -15 months and under Jose. Skipp, Pierre and Tanganga were ferocious

It looked like 11 men fighting for each other and for us. I dont have high expectations for this season, I just want to see some progress, and we saw that yesterday.

They didn't start with him, Foden, Walker, Stones... These are big players for them. I don't see why people get so upset just because I say that although it was a very good win and a great way to start the season, we shouldn't get too excited based on one game. Had we lost by a few I wouldn't have been saying we're relegation fodder suddenly.

But some people here seem to have some sort of split personality disorder with how quickly opinions can change from game to game.

But they did start with Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Aké, Mendy, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Grealish, Mahrez, Torres and Sterling. Cancelo, who started for Walker, is a hell of a player. Foden is not an obvious improvement for any one of the 11 that started. De Bruyne is perhaps the best player in the league, but who would he replace? Gundofan, perhaps their best player last season, or their 100m new player Grealish? It is not like they fielded youth players. Stones was a joke a year ago, but sure, he had a good season last year. I am not convinced he is very superior to Aké though.

The truth of the matter is that City had a very strong lineup.

We were without our new signings, unlike City, without last years best player in the league, without Lo Celso because he was injured most of last season and played copa america in the summer.

Why are you making excuses for them? We won, fair and square, through great fucking effort.

Not really. You saw how much they improved when he came on. He makes a massive difference to them even if he's not at his best himself.

I said all week I thought we were good for a point. But in my opinion, had KDB started that game I think we'd have struggled to win that game of football. Fortunately for us he wasn't, and in the end we deserved the 3 points we got.

The reason it's BS is because you can always say "what if"....

What if Kane played.....? What is Romero was ready to go....? What if Steevie had buried his chance...?

What if Pep was right not to play him and KDB had started and pinged a hammy on the 15-minute mark....?

Fact is their starting XI was apparently the most expensive in EPL history....... We beat them with a team that even half our own fans had written off before even a ball was kicked.

Nothing should be allowed to detract from yesterday's win.... Especially not some form of faux-objectivity from one of own fans.

The reason it's BS is because you can always say "what if"....

What if Kane played.....? What is Romero was ready to go....? What if Steevie had buried his chance...?

What if Pep was right not to play him and KDB had started and pinged a hammy on the 15-minute mark....?

Fact is their starting XI was apparently the most expensive in EPL history....... We beat them with a team that even half our own fans had written off before even a ball was kicked.

Nothing should be allowed to detract from yesterday's win.... Especially not some form of faux-objectivity from one of own fans.

Its surprising how churlish some of these Kane fanbois are

I haven’t seen spirit and a refusal to give in from a Spurs side since prime Poch era

Its surprising how churlish some of these Kane fanbois are

I haven’t seen spirit and a refusal to give in from a Spurs side since prime Poch era

I can't pretend the same fixture last year(*) wasn't extremely commendable too, but this wasn't backs to the wall shit..... Lovely stuff.

Given the shit-fest of a back-drop to the game; was a very proud boy yesterday.

(*Which KDB did start btw, Beech Beech ...... We've handled him in the past and we can do it again.)

He put in an absolute shift. I was very impressed. He is reinventing himself before our very eyes.
I didn't notice him stomp and flap his arms petulantly once either.

Maybe he is growing up. Long may it continue.

I think this Kane saga has given a number of players a nudge in the right direction if I'm honest. That and consigning the Mourinho vanity experiment to the dustbin of Spurs history. An episode that is definitely better forgotten.

I wonder if Nuno has had any direct influence on the apparent U-turn in attitude and application.

Anyone know how to post a video here.

I've got a great one of the crowd singing Oh When the Spurs... I don't know how to upload it from my phone though.

I have to say I've been every home game at the new ground apart from 1. The atmosphere yesterday was probably the best, yes including the champions league nights against City and Ajax.

There was something about yesterday because of being away from the ground for so long that added a sprinkling of magic. The performance matched the effort put in by the crowd.

There were moments when Skipp and Sanchez made last ditch slides tackles at the end and the crowd were so pumped. I watched it back on the TV when I got home and you can't get a feel for how good the atmosphere was. I'm sure anyone who was at the game can corroborate this.

I genuinely felt for the first time the wall of noise from the south stand and all the acoustics were being maximised yesterday. The crowd wasn't even at capacity!
I agree with all of that except for me there's been a few occasions when the wall of noise (and not just from the south stand) has been spine tinglingly loud. E.g. when we drowned out the PA playing the Champs League anthem. Absolute goosebumps.

Yesterday the team put in a performance worthy of the response they got to be fair to them.

They didn't start with him, Foden, Walker, Stones... These are big players for them. I don't see why people get so upset just because I say that although it was a very good win and a great way to start the season, we shouldn't get too excited based on one game. Had we lost by a few I wouldn't have been saying we're relegation fodder suddenly.

But some people here seem to have some sort of split personality disorder with how quickly opinions can change from game to game.
Foden, Walker and Stones don’t affect a game like KDB. I don’t think any of them three alter the win, KDB does

Foden, Walker and Stones don’t affect a game like KDB. I don’t think any of them three alter the win, KDB does
Also, when this happens....

..those they leave out are completely irrelevant. If they can't beat us with the most expensively formed starting 11 the Prem has ever seen then fuck them and anyone who doesn't give us every ounce of credit we deserve. Cry all you like. We fucking did them with endeavour, tactics and outright skill.

COYS.
UTS.

'Ederson,
Cancelo, Dias, Ake, Mendy,
Fernandinho,
Gundogan, Grealish, Mahrez, Torres, Sterling.'

£550 million - the most expensive line up in history
Best barbers/haircuts too - but unless you challenge for every ball it means nothing. More of the same please Spurs.

Weird isn't it?

Both from Liverpool teams that enjoyed ridiculous success, you'd think they'd be all sunshine and rainbows.

But Nicol seems to have an unreasoning hatred of Spurs. Even when we were flying under Poch, you never got a good word out of him that wasn't followed by a sour dig.

I always turn ESPN off when his lemon sucking mug appears on it.

Burley and Hislop are even keeled, but the rest of the of them including that cunt Ogden are trailer trash.

Also, when this happens....

..those they leave out are completely irrelevant. If they can't beat us with the most expensively formed starting 11 the Prem has ever seen then fuck them and anyone who doesn't give us every ounce of credit we deserve. Cry all you like. We fucking did them with endeavour, tactics and outright skill.

COYS.
UTS.
I wonder what the difference in combined weekly wage is too, must be double ours. FU City

Yesterday was fantastic. I dont think we can draw too many conclusions given the stilted pre seasons for both sides; City looked extraordinarily open every time we won the ball.

What stood out though was the fight, the willingness to engage. In our pomp, we dominated the physical battles in the centre of the pitch with Dembele and Wanyama. We completely lost it in Poch's last 12 -15 months and under Jose. Skipp, Pierre and Tanganga were ferocious

It looked like 11 men fighting for each other and for us. I dont have high expectations for this season, I just want to see some progress, and we saw that yesterday.

Once they lose possession high up the pitch against pace, then they are there fir the taking.

Nuno got his tactics spot on, force them wide, press high and when we get the ball attack quickly.

Back
Top Bottom