Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Checked some stats for discussion in another topic, as it mainly relates to Dele, I'd add it here as well -

My point was that across our first 3 matches of the season, Dele has been the weak link of our midfield. And a player upon whom there is biggest chance to improve the starting XI.

Against City - all 3 were really good. But in last two games Skipp and PEH were involved so much more. Dele in reality was not. This also reflects in stats.
Wolves game -
Alli 32 passes 81,3% accuracy, 4 long balls, 1 accurate, key passes 0, tackles 2
Skipp 47 passes 83% accuracy, 4 long balls, 1 accurate, key passes 0, tackles 3
PEH 46 passes 81,3% accuracy, 2 long balls, 1 accurate, key passes 0, tackles 2
Alli disposessed 4x, Skipp and PEH 0
Watford game -
Alli 33 passes 84,9% accuracy, 0 long balls, 0 accurate, key passes 0, tackles 3
Skipp 73 passes 93,2% accuracy, 2 long balls, 1 accurate, key passes 0, tackles 3
PEH 91 passes 86,8% accuracy, 14 long balls, 9 accurate, key passes 1, tackles 3
Alli disposessed 3x, Skipp and PEH 0

So he is doing roughly same amount of defensive work than others
but is less involved in build up-play and moving the ball around
he gets disposessed much more than his midfield counterparts
and his passing success is lower
he does not create chances and or move the ball upward with any more success

Hence - his performances have been improvement on some stuff we have seen in past 2 seasons but still - across all 3 games in EPL he has been our weakest midfielder by clear margin. And if we hope / plan to instill some further creativity in form of Lo Celso / Ndombele in the future, he seems the obvious pick who to drop.

That's pretty harsh to say to a player that's scored 18 PL goals and 9 assists in 16/17.

Sure he's slow on the ball but you can't be "not very good" and put up those kind of numbers.
What the hell is the point of quoting stats from the past? We need to look at the present, and accept that Dele is very limited, and offers very little overall, unless you count running around lots. Stop with the stats now!!

What does this gangly cunt offer us? Someone please enlighten me
Not a fan of Dele at all, but I'll say at least in the last few games he's been industrious and getting stuck in, in the 433 system. Moving him to that no.10 diamond role today and changing the whole fucking formation to accommodate bloody Winks was madness. Was totally ineffective today.

Not a fan of Dele at all, but I'll say at least in the last few games he's been industrious and getting stuck in, in the 433 system. Moving him to that no.10 diamond role today and changing the whole fucking formation to accommodate bloody Winks was madness. Was totally ineffective today.
Yep this is on the manager. You dont get three performances out of a player who's starting to get a grove the turn it all on its head. Weird stuff.

Last edited:
What does this gangly cunt offer us? Someone please enlighten me
He used to offer the ability to get in the box and score goals. It's a valuable gift. One he appears to have now lost as he's become basically a midfield water-carrier.

I think he has no footballing identity. He doesn't know what he actually is on the pitch. Neither do the club. But as long as he's running around a lot they'll kind of stumble on as they are.

It's the Spurs way.

Yep this is on the manager. You dont get three performances out of a player who's starting to get a grove the turn it all on its head. Weird stuff.
In fact his performance was non existent vs Wolves and against Watford, he was way more passive and invisible than Skipp and PEH

We got one really good performance out of him and that was the opening game.

That still does not excuse today's pick, I agree. Should have been Gil in AM and Alli in CM. But just pointing out that past two games his performance was overrated and he already was weakest link of our midfield before.

It's kinda funny because I keep going into individual player's threads and I can't think of anything to criticise.
Yet we got beat 3-0.
You've come to the Dele thread today and are struggling to find anything to criticise? Mate he got outperformed by fucking Harry Winks. You could have honestly spent 80mins watching the game and be forgiven for not realising he was on the pitch until he threw himself in front of that shot.

A serious ghost performance today from the man who was supposed to be one of our only attacking outlets.

You've come to the Dele thread today and are struggling to find anything to criticise? Mate he got outperformed by fucking Harry Winks. You could have honestly spent 80mins watching the game and be forgiven for not realising he was on the pitch until he threw himself in front of that shot.

A serious ghost performance today from the man who was supposed to be one of our only attacking outlets.
He’s not a winger. Winks would have been just as bad on the wing.

One good defensive block aside, contributed nothing apart from giving away needless free kicks.

Given what he went through with the last manager it would be great to see the arrogant, petulant Dele making a return but I think that's wishful thinking.

As someone wrote above, he's a player with no identity, Nuno is selecting him but I have no idea what attributes dele gives to this team, poor in the tackle, zero attacking threat, can't pick a pass past ten yards and for his height , terrible in the air. He's turned into a pound land version of fellani.

Back
Top Bottom