Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Something very strange is going on but it's a tad worrying. Whilst not overly excited about Nuno coming in I was confident that he'll have us play a better version of Jose ball, because he's more "now" than the dinosaur and he'll have us fitter.

Early signs of this were all on show, we were pressing teams, very aggressively from our midblock and lots of tackles and turnover as a consequence. But with every passing game this has got collectively worse (I think Dele is the only midfielder posting consistent defensive numbers tackles and pressures etc). but the midfield mid-block is now turning into a low-block and also becoming very passive, again.
There was a ton of encouraging things during the City match that weren't just opposition related that seem to have gone out the window already. It's really weird.

We didn't create a single thing after he went off!!!! NOTHING.

This was his first game for nearly 5 months, he did more than OK within this context. Without him, we are fucking shite, no midfield control, creativity absolute zero. Every single one of our chances last night he was involved in and/or started.

It wasn't a brilliant performance, it was an OK performance, but one of our better players on the night for sure.

We started well because he controlled the midfield. Immediately after we scored they were better, they took control of the midfield, I thought he and the other midfielders couldn't live with the oppo's aggression and quick tempo they set after we scored.

With the oppo now having most of the ball the game passed him by in midfield, he found himself too high or too deep, he couldn't get in the faces of the oppo (non of our midfield did, not just him).

2nd half we stepped up a tad, and we competed in midfield better than we did in the first half (or did this happen because the oppo wasn't as aggressive and as quick as they were in the period after we scored????).

People seriously need to stop focussing on what he can't do for now (without the ball) because seriously without him on the ball we are gash. He's genuinely the only hope we have to create something from midfield, there isn't a single midfielder in our squad who can create. I'd sacrifice anyone of our midfielders to ensure that he's playing, otherwise, we will be watching paint dry for a season.

Agree however I’m honestly not sure he is a centre midfielder - he doesn’t give us control but I agree with you other than that.

I would start him for the next ten or so games 100%, but possibly higher up the pitch

how dele gets picked ahead of him is a disgrace, they are both similar in the way that they hang onto the ball...just ndombele does it with actual quality and substance
That pass into Kane 1:00 in is delightful (when Kane returns it and he nearly scored). His passing is superb, love the angles - obviously tons of ability on the ball too

But please tell me more about Dele doing half marathons and Winks’ great attitude

People bring up his defensive work rate, but I think his work rate in possession is where things need to improve.

He's an average defender, better than most give him credit for, but his main job in the team is to progress the ball forward either by dribbling or line-breaking passes. However, in order to do that, he needs to basically get on the ball every time we gain possession. He was showing for the ball a lot in the first 15 minutes when we had the bulk of possession, but when Rennes were in the ascension and we lost control he wasn't available as much.

This is why pushing him further forward makes no sense to me - we need him to take the ball off the CBs and be that option for them. When Bergwijn went off injured and Nuno pushed Ndombele up a bit we basically had no ball progression at all. After half he dropped back more and Hojbjerg pushed forward, and Ndombele started getting on the ball again.

This was his first match in 5 months and he was good and basically everything we did moving forward he was involved with. A 4-3-3 with two other midfielders supporting him makes a ton of sense and should get the most out of him. If he and Lo Celso manage to not injure themselves for a stretch we could actually see what Poch was hoping to do with the midfield 2 years ago.

If you blindly think results are the be all and end all, you have a short memory and a rude awakening

What are you talking about? Us getting out played badly and looking terrible is a great sign for us going forward.

No way that style could collapse and end up with us dropping down the table.

Emotion played a huge part in that match. And Guardiola’s sides have always been vulnerable against counters.

No doubt it did.......

Regardless of style/tactics; we had an aggression about us which had been absent for a long time though.... Proving it's in there somewhere....... I want it back.

In the last 10 minutes after going behind twice I was pleased we played with 11 men instead of ten and held on for the draw.
In other games we might need to go for it last knockings but not last night.
Draw was a good result with all our personnel problems.
Didn’t we score first?

Emotion played a huge part in that match. And Guardiola’s sides have always been vulnerable against counters.
I agree to a point, and I know that Nuno looked at what Chelsea did against them in the CL final and borrowed some of those tactics, but we should be training towards those actions, not just hoping we arrive at them organically.

The dodgy penalty was Wolves of course in the other 1-0 we didn't really deserve to win (when the shit Adama Traore ripped them apart at will). That made everyone think everything was great.

The only side we've noticeably outplayed was Watford and that was a struggle...maybe Pacos the 2nd time, but they're shite.

Back
Top Bottom