Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Genuinely not sure that he would get in their team to be honest such has been his steady decline
Nah, he'd look really good in the Championship and below as he'd get a fraction more time to do everything. He's just lost all that speed of thought and movement he used to have that made him stand out in the PL.

Nah, he'd look really good in the Championship and below as he'd get a fraction more time to do everything. He's just lost all that speed of thought and movement he used to have that made him stand out in the PL.
I am not sure. I reckon he might get bullied out of things lower down the food chain. I can’t see that he does anything well anymore

I am not sure. I reckon he might get bullied out of things lower down the food chain. I can’t see that he does anything well anymore
Perhaps there may be less protection from referees, yes. But otherwise the PL is much harder in every sense. Pace, time on the ball, strength of the tackling, quality of defenders.
The only he reason he'd struggle in the Champ and lower is if he truly gave up trying.

Perhaps there may be less protection from referees, yes. But otherwise the PL is much harder in every sense. Pace, time on the ball, strength of the tackling, quality of defenders.
The only he reason he'd struggle in the Champ and lower is if he truly gave up trying.
Maybe I am being a bit harsh. But what attributes do you think will make him stand out at a lower level? He isn’t quick, he doesn’t have a great first touch, he is not particularly good at passing or finishing either when he does get a rare sight of goal. Ever since he scored that brace of headers against Chelsea he appears to have lost any ability in the air. It is a real shame

Maybe I am being a bit harsh. But what attributes do you think will make him stand out at a lower level? He isn’t quick, he doesn’t have a great first touch, he is not particularly good at passing or finishing either when he does get a rare sight of goal. Ever since he scored that brace of headers against Chelsea he appears to have lost any ability in the air. It is a real shame
I agree he just looks highly average these days at our level. I think he's pretty much lost all that fire and confidence he used to have, think of all the tricks and outlandish shots he used to pull off, and often score.
He doesn't stand out at all anymore, my impression is that he'd be fine at a lower level now, without such pace and pressure, but it's just a prediction.

A lot less than we could have in 2019.

Similar to Dier, Eriksen, Alderweireld and Kane.

But people want to be prideful and say we “aren’t a selling club” 🙄

Why the fuck should have we sold Kane at 2019 ?!?!?!?!?!?
First time he expressed desire to leave was this summer.

We could have moved on Winks and Alli at the time, agreed.
Eriksen had already 1 year left then, so way too late to make big bucks from him.
Alderweireld wouldn't have brought in that much anyway + considering alternatives to CB... why should have we sold him at that moment?

It's not like every peak-value moment missed represents a bad decision or problem.
Only with ones regressing singificantly (Alli, Winks) or those running down contracts (Eriksen, Aurier, Rose).

Eriksen had already 1 year left then, so way too late to make big bucks from him.
Alderweireld wouldn't have brought in that much anyway + considering alternatives to CB... why should have we sold him at that moment?

It's not like every peak-value moment missed represents a bad decision or problem.
Only with ones regressing singificantly (Alli, Winks) or those running down contracts (Eriksen, Aurier, Rose).
He apparently ask to go the year before man.

2019 was strictly about Dele

Dier’s moment was 17 or 18

Toby and Eriksen definitely 18

Kane would have been this summer BUT if we had rebuilt properly around him he’d have never asked to leave.

Kane would have been this summer BUT if we had rebuilt properly around him he’d have never asked to leave.

Again.... This is all well and good as long as the majority of the fanbase have the stomach for a BVB-model to the way the club is run.

If not (as is extremely evident here); R-I-O-T-S.

Last edited:

Ah, okay. I thought you meant 19 universally regarding others as well.
Then I am more on the same page, maybe except Toby. I guess if very good offer would have arrived, we would have taken him. But from Aug 2018 to May 2021 he still gave some good performances for us...

Ah, okay. I thought you meant 19 universally regarding others as well.
Then I am more on the same page, maybe except Toby. I guess if very good offer would have arrived, we would have taken him. But from Aug 2018 to May 2021 he still gave some good performances for us...

Toby:

- As per his clause, we tried to sell Toby for 25m in 2019.... No buyers..... One of the Italian teams started sniffing about for 12m; saying they couldn't otherwise afford his wage demands.
- Suspected to be on the market in 2020 too... No bites.

Toby:

- As per his clause, we tried to sell Toby for 25m in 2019.... No buyers..... One of the Italian teams started sniffing about for 12m; saying they couldn't otherwise afford his wage demands.
It’s very strange. And it’s not just us, he was still an ever-present in the Belgium team too. But seemingly no interest at club level now he’s in Qatar.

It’s very strange. And it’s not just us, he was still an ever-present in the Belgium team too. But seemingly no interest at club level now he’s in Qatar.

I guess the hints of decline were there..... He's aged pretty quickly. He's not long hit 32 which is relatively young for a modern CB.

Toby:

Thats what I meant.
If good offer would have come, we would have taken it.

But it did not, and no point of selling for peanuts if we did not really have better alternatives.

Again.... This is all well and good as long as the majority of the fanbase have the stomach for a BVB-model to the way the club is run.

If not (as is extremely evident here); R-I-O-T-S.
Spurs fans need a reality check. BVB model doesn’t prevent you from remaining competitive. In England Leicester are doing it and Liverpool basically employed it up until Jan 2019.

Back
Top Bottom