Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

100% this... And the stats are there to prove it:
Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho... Nothing special as players, but fantastic managers....

...and in the opposite corner:
Hoddle, Ardiles, Souness, Lampard, Roy Keane!!!

Yes, there are exceptions, but great players don't automatically make great managers, if anything, they have TOO MUCH expectation to live up to!!

Sam Allardyce is about the same level Manager as he was a Player.... He pretty much stayed consistent throughout!
In the opposite corner should really be Guardiola, Zidane, Conte?

In the opposite corner should really be Guardiola, Zidane, Conte?
Simeone too. Ancelotti was also a damn good player in his day.

Beckenbauer won a World Cup, though I don’t know if he was actually a great manager. Deschamps, similarly.

Zidane is surely the greatest player ever to be a truly great manager, though he still has his doubters.

He actually isn’t though

How the hell would you know?

All we've heard is good things from people who work alongside him, and in his twenties he acted as a competent caretaker for a good Premier League team. Certainly that sounds promising to me, do you have any information which says he isn't a promising coach?

Conte is not going to accept someone being forced into his coaching staff against his will. Mason is there because Conte wants him to be there. He knows the squad, he knows the club and he is a promising young coach who can learn a lot from him. He is not some spy put there by Levy.
The only thing he is promising is a first team spot to Winks.

I wasn't saying they were the same player, or on the same level but some of the things Winks gets flack for, others have also done and reaped praise. At this point I couldn't really care if he stays or goes, just inconsistent criticism.

No denying He had a couple of great seasons for us but I also remember all the Flack in the match threads about him running in circles and never passing forward.
You try running straight after Balotelli had stamped on your head!

How the hell would you know?

All we've heard is good things from people who work alongside him, and in his twenties he acted as a competent caretaker for a good Premier League team. Certainly that sounds promising to me, do you have any information which says he isn't a promising coach?
He wasn’t promising in the League cup final though

Abysmal more appropriate

He wasn’t promising in the League cup final though

Abysmal more appropriate

He had been managing the team about a week before that game. A proper management job is probably too much for him now, but that doesn't mean he isn't a promising coach. We were bad vs City but a 1-0 loss to a late goal is hardly some career ending result, is it?

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's ready for the top job now, but along the road if he learns from Conte and gathers some experience, maybe one day he will be ready, and that would be great. I find him to be a likable guy, and see no reason why there can't be truth to the idea he has potential.

Because I watched him drop Bale for Winks in a cup final

They play completely different positions .. so he didn't drop Bale for Winks at all. If Bale was gonna play anywhere, it would've been on the right instead of Lucas. I assume he wanted runners vs City and that's why he went for Lucas. It's not a nonsensical decision.

They play completely different positions .. so he didn't drop Bale for Winks at all. If Bale was gonna play anywhere, it would've been on the right instead of Lucas. I assume he wanted runners vs City and that's why he went for Lucas. It's not a nonsensical decision.
So a promising young manager can’t utilise a formation that includes Bale and doesn’t include Winks?

How is that promising?

So a promising young manager can’t utilise a formation that includes Bale and doesn’t include Winks?

How is that promising?

He'd been in charge a week. Bale had not been in the lineup for most of the season under Jose, and offered very little running off the ball or pace at this point in his career. Playing Son/Lucas instead as players who will press and be more dangerous on the counter makes sense.

Playing Winks was, in my opinion, a mistake. I imagine he felt he was a player who could help provide stability, but he was wrong. But a coach of that age a week in to the job making mistakes doesn't mean he's not promising at all.

Overall, I thought we played better football under Mason, and had a few really entertaining games. I applaud him for taking on the job, and I'm glad he has a place in the coaching staff now .. why wouldn't I be?

He'd been in charge a week. Bale had not been in the lineup for most of the season under Jose, and offered very little running off the ball or pace at this point in his career. Playing Son/Lucas instead as players who will press and be more dangerous on the counter makes sense.

Playing Winks was, in my opinion, a mistake. I imagine he felt he was a player who could help provide stability, but he was wrong. But a coach of that age a week in to the job making mistakes doesn't mean he's not promising at all.

Overall, I thought we played better football under Mason, and had a few really entertaining games. I applaud him for taking on the job, and I'm glad he has a place in the coaching staff now .. why wouldn't I be?

If you want more Nuno ball with a touch of Tim, that’s your problem

Being a top player means little in terms of managerial or coaching ability.

Let's face it; you know jack shit about his coaching aptitudes becasue you're NEVER seen him coach a single player. Not once.

Meanwhile, Mason wasn't merely a Hull clogger. He was one of a handful of HG SPURS lads that stepped up for in the early days of Poch when others were content to throw him straight under the bus.....

He deserves a damn sight more respect than the mindless crap you & the usual toxic mob are slinging at him.
Mason isn't coaching anyone mate, imagine we actually spend some money and a star player rocks up to Hotspur Way.

You think Ronaldo would work his butt off for the Doncaster loanee?

Come on now....

But a coach of that age a week in to the job making mistakes doesn't mean he's not promising at all.
he picked the useless harry winks over a midfielder who could of made things happen. thats a spineless selection and he deserves the tag of 'ryan mateson'

we was never winning that final with winks in that form, would of been a struggle with winks in his best form let alone the form hes been in for the last few years.

he picked the useless harry winks over a midfielder who could of made things happen. thats a spineless selection and he deserves the tag of 'ryan mateson'

we was never winning that final with winks in that form, would of been a struggle with winks in his best form let alone the form hes been in for the last few years.

The only midfielder we had who could really make things happen was Ndombele. And Mason obviously wasn't a fan, maybe due to an attitude issue which he was showing towards the end of Jose's tenure, and maybe even more so when Mason took charge. Conte thus far hasn't started him either.

As I've said, starting Winks in a final was a mistake. But I'm not gonna dismiss his potential as a coach in the future because he made one error. I saw a lot of other positives while he was at the helm, and I'm sure he brings something to the table.

The only midfielder we had who could really make things happen was Ndombele. And Mason obviously wasn't a fan, maybe due to an attitude issue which he was showing towards the end of Jose's tenure, and maybe even more so when Mason took charge. Conte thus far hasn't started him either.

As I've said, starting Winks in a final was a mistake. But I'm not gonna dismiss his potential as a coach in the future because he made one error. I saw a lot of other positives while he was at the helm, and I'm sure he brings something to the table.
well lets hope youre right because hes obviously being pushed onto us.

hes far too soft for my liking, cant think of any good competent managers that are that soft.

Back
Top Bottom