Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Parker was 10 times the player - was willing to die in the tackle for us

This soft cunt pulls out of the first 50/50
yeah maybe, just feel some people loved Parker who isn't fundamentally that different from Winks.

I wouldn't say winks should stay, or be a first team player but just making an observation that Parker was limited, rarely played forward, never scored, ran in circles but had his place.

Parker was 31 when he joined us.

Parker was 10 times the player - was willing to die in the tackle for us

This soft cunt pulls out of the first 50/50
And I would be amazed if Scotty ever went snivelling to the press that he wasn’t in the team!

He would get his head down and graft to get back in

No comparison between the two imv

However he did drop bale from the final just after I think he scored a hatrick the previous game. Made no sense to drop bale one of our true gane changers at the time.? Just didn’t make sense. To boot we played absolute gutless in that final didn’t even attempt to win. He had nothing to lose but still didn’t take a chance. Also tanguy who was playing regularly up to that point was discard completely like a bad apple and never to be seen again under mason. His choice but when your trying to win a cup and you bring on sissoko ahead of tanguy then your judgement and professionalism is going to be questioned.

Bale scored the hattrick after City, not before. Mason had like a week to prepare before the final and went with players he knew, it was understandable. At 29 you're not exactly going to be the finished article as a manager, he made mistakes but he also showed promise, our general play after the City game was an improvement. We actually attacked teams, we looked somewhat coached.

And as I said, you can question individual decisions all you like, the fact is he was thrown in at a ridiculously young age late in the season and improved results and performances wise on what Jose was doing. I'm not saying he's the new Guardiola or anything stupid like that, but he's shown coaching ability, and it doesn't surprise me at all he has a place under Conte.

Even if he wasn't successful though, he doesn't deserve hate. He gave it a shot at a really difficult time, it took balls. And I really liked him as a player, always gave everything for the shirt..

yeah maybe, just feel some people loved Parker who isn't fundamentally that different from Winks.

I wouldn't say winks should stay, or be a first team player but just making an observation that Parker was limited, rarely played forward, never scored, ran in circles but had his place.

Parker was 31 when he joined us.

I firmly believe Winks gets an insane degree of unwarranted hate, but Scotty P was on a completely different level.

POTY for us in his first season and EPL POTY the year before. A physically sound Parker would have been a mainstay in our team at any time during the decade since he left.

Fucking rock of a player.... Him and Dembele together at their peak would have been an insane duo..... One of AVBs biggest crimes was to completely mis-assessed them both and played SP as the B2B and Dembele as the holder. If he wasn't such a fucking div; our MF could have been:

Parker (DM) / Dembele (B2B)
Van Der Vaart (CAM)

Last edited:
4baabbd8-7341-42d1-8e70-df401696cfb3_text.gif

Parker was a warrior defensively, never ducked from a shot or pulled out of a tackle.
He was a one man midfield for Spam at times before we bought him.

I just wish we signed him a decade earlier.

Parker is one of those people who are slowly disappearing from football.
He is a leader. That’s why he will become a successful manager and one day, I hope, will be our manager.

Parker is one of those people who are slowly disappearing from football.
He is a leader. That’s why he will become a successful manager and one day, I hope, will be our manager.

Him blossoming over the next couple of years and succeeding Conte would be the bollocks.....

Him blossoming over the next couple of years and succeeding Conte would be the bollocks.....

Doing a fantastic job with Bournemouth. I live nearby so I go to the odd game of theirs (and Southampton) and they're one of the best pressing teams in England right now, for me. Really high effort stuff, and devastating when they get in to the attacking phase.

Long way to go and all that, but after losing Danjuma many Bournemouth fans I knew were worried they'd missed their shot at promotion. They LOVE Parker.

I wish this club would stop rewarding mediocrity.

No other top side would have this guy anywhere near their club, let alone as head coach!

Yet Man City gave Arteta the same role

Maybe just maybe they want to groom him to go onto be a potential up and coming manager for us at some point in the future, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I wish this club would stop rewarding mediocrity.

No other top side would have this guy anywhere near their club, let alone as head coach!

He says in a world where Lampard, Ole & Arteta have all had top jobs in recent years...........

Clueless.

And I would be amazed if Scotty ever went snivelling to the press that he wasn’t in the team!

He would get his head down and graft to get back in

No comparison between the two imv
I wasn't saying they were the same player, or on the same level but some of the things Winks gets flack for, others have also done and reaped praise. At this point I couldn't really care if he stays or goes, just inconsistent criticism.
Oh come on, they couldn't be further apart.

This is the biggest insult you could ever lay on Scott Parker. Ten times the player Harry Winks will ever be.
No denying He had a couple of great seasons for us but I also remember all the Flack in the match threads about him running in circles and never passing forward.

Over the years we have had a lot of back up coaches and whether they are any good is rarely known publicly. Harry Redknapp's deputies left with him and have not been heard of since. The same with Poch's assistants although I assume they are now at PSG. Many back up coaches never move into the top position. Arteta at MC was an exception getting the Woolwich job but his absence from MC has not really made any difference. Whilst the top job is high profile the deputies work largely behind the scenes.

Mason will not be picking the team but is in a position to improve or not the team's performance. However in say 18 months will we as fans be any the wiser? We judge him on his brief caretaker experience last season but how can we judge him on his current role? The players will know whether he is any good but this does not really get out into the press. We do know that Managers or Head Coaches are very loyal to their staff taking them to new jobs but is this loyalty justified? I doubt he is being groomed to take over and needs a top job in the lower leagues first if he ever wants to Manage at this level.

Yeah they were all actually good players though rather than a Hull City clogger.

Being a good player has very little to do with being a good coach. If the reports say Conte is impressed with Mason, I'm inclined to believe it rather than jump to other conclusions. And if Conte is impressed by him, who is anyone on here to say he's a mediocre coach?

Yeah they were all actually good players though rather than a Hull City clogger.

Being a top player means little in terms of managerial or coaching ability.

Let's face it; you know jack shit about his coaching aptitudes because you're NEVER seen him coach a single player. Not once.

Meanwhile, Mason wasn't merely a "Hull clogger". He was one of a handful of HG SPURS lads that stepped up for in the early days of Poch when others were content to throw him straight under the bus.....

He deserves a damn sight more respect than the mindless crap you & the usual toxic mob are slinging at him.

Last edited:
Being a top player means little in terms of managerial or coaching ability.

Let's fact it; you know jack shit about his coaching aptitudes becasue you're NEVER seen him coach a single player. Not once.

Meanwhile, Mason wasn't merely a Hull clogger. He was one of a handful of HG SPURS lads that stepped up for in the early days of Poch when others were content to throw him straight under the bus.....

He deserves a damn sight more respect than the mindless crap you & the usual toxic mob are slinging at him.
100% this... And the stats are there to prove it:
Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho... Nothing special as players, but fantastic managers....

...and in the opposite corner:
Hoddle, Ardiles, Souness, Lampard, Roy Keane!!!

Yes, there are exceptions, but great players don't automatically make great managers, if anything, they have TOO MUCH expectation to live up to!!

Sam Allardyce is about the same level Manager as he was a Player.... He pretty much stayed consistent throughout!

Back
Top Bottom