January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Were so starved of good signings Adama Traore is built up as the next Messi by the fan base.
I don’t think he is though (haven’t read the Twitter feed but if people on there are suggesting that, just remember that it’s Twitter).

I think people just see that he brings one of the things we lack, genuine pace and athleticism as well as a good dribble on him. Yes, huge concerns about his end product but let’s be honest, that’s probably in part why we’re able to attract him.

I’m on the fence about him, he think he’ll get us out of our seats but equally he’ll prove frustrating. If we get him he needs to start well to get the fans onside early.

Less than two weeks to go my club are backing my manager it's great to see.
Unlike other clubs who don't do anything during the window then make excuses it was a difficult time to buy #contegetsbacked

We want Traore

Levy tries loan him and club tell us they will only sell

We want to get rid of Ndombele

Clubs try to loan him and levy tells them we only want to sell

The usual BS meaning we get nothing done

Less than two weeks to go my club are backing my manager it's great to see.
Unlike other clubs who don't do anything during the window then make excuses it was a difficult time to buy #contegetsbacked

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Woolwich, Man United + Spurs. The entire top 7 teams in the PL and not one signing between them.

I wonder if any of their fans are having metldowns?

With Woolwich seemingly the only bidder, I'm sure Fiorentina is thinking they'll have a better shot at it in the summer.

I don't quite understand why the interest in Vlahovic isn't bigger. Is it as stupid as the Luka Jovic disaster scaring people off?

(Would Real loan us Jovic btw?)

He is a young striker that has played really well for 18 months... but at Serie A. And his price level that is reported is almost similar to proven top-class players.

If Lukaku moved for ~100mEUR and Kane transfer talk went around 100-120 milEUR then why would big clubs want to take that risk. I cannot stress this enough - duds like Smalling, Fazio and Chiriches have been star defenders in the league. And players like Sanchez, Mhkytaryan, Immobile etc are among elite attacking players there. Sorry but the standard is different.

Prices like 80 mil are massive risk that is compounded by high salary demands.

When we were initially linked with him, I think first rumors were around 35-40 mEUR. And at that he would be an expensive punt or chance to take. Now at 80 mil, risk and reward are WAAAAYYYY off. If he continues on current level, he could go up in value like MAX 30 mil EUR. But if he flops and Serie A is his true level, no one will buy him back for more than 25-30 mil which would mean loss of 50-55 million + millions in salaries.

Literally the price and salary terms that are expected of him are so large that every team will think not even twice but more times. Specially after many big players getting burned with massive fees - Barca with Coutinho+Dembele+Griezaman; Juventus with Ronaldo+ de Ligt; Real with Jovic+Hazard; Atletico with Felix; ManUnited with Sancho+Pogba+Maguire.

Considering COVID creating some issues with club finances I would not be very surprised if we'd see less super expensive transfers in the future. Though last summer window does not support my belief.
Still - I took a look at the top 25 transfers of all time and I counted (totally subjectively ofc) that 9 of them (mentioned Coutinho, Dembele, Griezman, Ronaldo->Juve, Hazard->Madrid, Felix, Pogba+Maguire-> ManU; Pepe) have not lived up to expectations and with 5 more (Sancho->ManU; Lukaku-> Chelsea; de Jong->Barca; de Ligt-> Juve; Grealish -> ManC) under serious question marks. I am not saying that mentioned players would be bad, question is if they have been worth anything close to money that has been paid for them.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Woolwich, Man United + Spurs. The entire top 7 teams in the PL and not one signing between them.

I wonder if any of their fans are having metldowns?
I’d imagine there are supporters at all those clubs, even City, having meltdowns as it’s not so much a Spurs thing, or even a football thing, but a symptom of the self entitled instant gratification with too much access to anything posing as information social media world we live in.

A gag I used to often crack.
I asked what does DNA stand for?
Remarkably, in whatever company, someone always said "I know this. Deoxyribonucleic acid." Which is the wrong answer.
The correct answer is, of course, the National Dyslexic Association.

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic who went to a Toga Party dressed as a goat?
:dembele:

In case there are some who still believe Modric may return to Spurs...

He looks oddly like Robert Carlyle in 28 weeks later there.

I'm not interested in other clubs you mentioned personally

People are acting as though we're behaving differently, we're not.
Everyone, even City, has something to gain by signing players, but they're not.

I’d imagine there are supporters at all those clubs, even City, having meltdowns as it’s not so much a Spurs thing, or even a football thing, but a symptom of the self entitled instant gratification with too much access to anything posing as information social media world we live in.

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

Back
Top Bottom