Newcastle (H) 3rd April - 1630KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eh .. he used what is a homophobic slur. As an insult directed at somebody in public. I empathise with the poster as it seems a moment of madness which he accepts was wrong, but it was still something that had to be dealt with and it isn't a term anyone should turn to, even in anger.

Hopefully the context is well considered, and the consequences aren't too severe. Being apologetic & understanding of why it was an unacceptable term to use should help. LGBT fan groups across the country are pretty unanimous in how unwelcome it makes them feel.

Been debated here numerous times, but RB doesn't necessarily carry homophobic intent.

....But more importantly; when the accusation overrides the physical danger of the coin throwing incident then I think there's something wrong with that picture.

Lastly it sounds like the deeper ramifications of the potential punishment here will outweigh the severity of the so-called crime.

Last edited:
Been debated here numerous times, but RB doesn't necessarily carry homophobic intent.

....But more importantly; when the accusation overrides the physical danger of the coin throwing incident then I think there's something wrong with that picture.

Lastly it sounds like the deeper ramifications of the potential punishment here will outweigh the severity of the so-called crime.
It's best if we're just handed a list with acceptable words (obviously subject to weekly revision by the elect).

I imagine its OK to call someone a cretin, despite this means a person with congenital iodine deficiency syndrome caused by hypothyroidism which causes seriously impaired physical and mental development.

Here is a picture of a cretin...

300px-Joseph_le_cr%C3%A9tin_-_Fonds_Trutat_-_MHNT.PHa.912.PR34_cropped.jpg

Why should this be acceptable but not to call someone a male prostitute? Why can you call someone a moron (a person with an IQ of 51–70) or worse, an imbecile (someone with an IQ of 26–50) and not be thrown out of a football match and yet to imply that a man has sex with other men for money gets you arrested?

Last edited:
That for me is a grey area... as many of them aren't homosexual (don't ask me how I know!)
Obviously, a lot ARE, but for a fair few, it's an option they sometimes feel they have to take to get by in life.
The tragedy is that many will do anything for money, including that... Doesn't always make them gay though!

N17-Tommo N17-Tommo has basically called someone 'a person who will sleep with men for money, regardless of their own sexual orientation!'

That's more a blight on society and the system, than anything the LGBT community would get involved with.

Dunno about a hate crime, but it's certainly has stigma attached!

It's considered homophobic by people who probably actually have had it used against them, and the people who face discrimination based on their sexuality. If they're saying it makes them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at games because of it, I think this case we should probably listen to them about that.

It does now. The intent of words change. <removed> may not always have been entirely homophobic, but everyone is well aware of the debate & context now. It is VERY regularly deployed as a homophobic insult, and LGBT fan groups across the country are united in how it makes them feel when it is used, i.e unsafe and unwelcome.

I don't disagree that a coin throwing incident should be dealt with, and nor would I be supportive of some inflated punishment. There's a chance for reason and education here. But I'm not in favour of a bunch of straight men telling gay people what they should and shouldn't find offensive.

It's considered homophobic by people who probably actually have had it used against them, and the people who face discrimination based on their sexuality. If they're saying it makes them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at games because of it, I think this case we should probably listen to them about that.

The core insult is for money.

It's not for me to doubt any gay person's experience, but RB must be waaaaaay low down the list of likely homophobic slurs one would suffer if someone was genuinely intent on abusing them based on their sexual preference.

God forbid, but try and put yourself in the mind of a homophobe for a moment... Why would you reach for that phrase considering the more direct and blatant one's available?

The core insult is for money.

It's not for me to doubt any gay person's experience, but RB must be waaaaaay low down the list of likely homophobic slurs one would suffer if someone was genuinely intent on abusing them based on their sexual preference.

God forbid, but try and put yourself in the mind of a homophobe for a moment... Why would you reach for that phrase considering the more direct and blatant one's available?

Why not? It implies you're not only gay, but someone offering yourself out for pay. And it has other connotations I won't get in to on here. It certainly has been used as a homophobic slur to gay people at football matches, and their experience is the one I'd be most concerned with here.

On these kind of issues, I always lean towards listening to the community impacted, hearing how it makes them feel and why, and then adjusting myself. And by the way, I don't think many in said community would want the poster to be clamped down on. All they want is to go to games and not feel uncomfortable.

It does now. The intent of words change.

How are we gauging this intent exactly?

Did anyone ask any of the accused what their intent was?

<removed> may not always have been entirely homophobic, but everyone is well aware of the debate & context now.

Are we talking debate past tense or current tense...... The idea that the debate is over is subjective.

What do you mean by "context" here?

It is VERY regularly deployed as a homophobic insult,

How are we defining regularity here? ....And again; did anyone ask any of the accused what their intent was?

and LGBT fan groups across the country are united in how it makes them feel when it is used, i.e unsafe and unwelcome.

I respect that, but that doesn't establish intent.

How are we gauging this intent exactly?

Did anyone any of the accused what their intent was?

Are we talking debate past tense or current tense...... The idea that the debate is over is subjective.

What do you mean by "context" here?

How are we defining regularity here? ....And again; did anyone any of the accused what their intent was?

I respect that, but that doesn't establish intent.

By how the actually impacted community feel when the term is used. Not by how a bunch of people who don't experience homophobic discrimination feel.

The debate is pretty over. All of the relevant parties have decided it is hate speech, hence why it was dealt with. The people who suffer homophobic abuse have been very clear and very concise about it. If some people want to grumble about free speech they're entitled to. People did the same about a lot of racist terms.

Intent isn't necessary because it has been officially filed under hate speech and there has been a lot of information made publicly available about this. People are aware now that it is considered offensive to people. LGBT fan groups have been loud, they've had interviews with the likes of Klopp, and there's been club & police announcements.

Anyway, that's me out for this one. Not gonna clog up this thread with any more preaching. I wish N17-Tommo N17-Tommo the best of luck, seems a decent guy who made an honest mistake. I really do hope that there's a fair, reasonable outcome.

Back
Top Bottom