Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The weirdos that follow him around from club to club I find bizarre. They infiltrated here. It was strange.
Have you read the comments section of this piece in The Athletic? It's fucking hilarious and a couple of stoic Spurs fans giving it to them, getting them rattled in full denial mode.

You think it was a good idea to fly over there and back before a game?
Not especially but i have no idea how long he had off. We'll never know if it had an impact on Saturday but given thats the sort of abysmal no shot, no show performance we've seen quite a bit of over the last 3 seasons i doubt it. Thankfully we're seeing less of them now than the last 2 or 3 years.

Have you read the comments section of this piece in The Athletic? It's fucking hilarious and a couple of stoic Spurs fans giving it to them, getting them rattled in full denial mode.

Annoyingly my comment didn’t pick up any of them. Chucked the bait out there but no bites. Yet. 😂

Never liked the guy, never wanted him at the club, though was a part of me watching his success elsewhere that was a little envious.
Levy scratched his Mourinho itch and drew blood - but maybe that's not the whole story.

Honestly I think he came to the club at possibly the worst time for any managerial appointment I remember. We weren't an optimistic team on the rise, we had been shocking for a long time in the league and added to that the Champions League final defeat massively worked against us - but mentally the team and our fans thought we were better than we were. We had players that had played to a really high level before that were no longer at that level, and we as supporters also had to slowly accept that and move on from them.
He inherited a squad he liked the look of, like a lot of fans - based on previous levels and performances. But we all know what happened and Mourinho had to handle that 'painful' transition.
Players like Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Aurier, Winks, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Dele, Ndombele - at the time probably hard if not impossible to axe them all.
At the time I can understand reasons for trying to persevere with most of those names.

Then Covid. It's hard to say what difference fans and regular fixture scheduling could have had - but I don't think all our results would have been the same in a non Covid parallel universe.

The wrong man at the wrong time for me. Don't think there has ever been a right time for Mourinho at Spurs either, but I do think he has done a decent job at Roma. Problem he has now is that people look at his CV (like him or not) and will say that he should be exceeding expectations of the club. Maybe getting Roma top 4, winning a cup or 2 - because that's the standard he has set himself. Doesn't mean he hasn't done a decent job that most managers would be pretty happy with, and kind of proves his coaching & tactical methods are still relevant in the modern Italian game at least.

As for the cup final.. the most believable reason I have heard is that Levy had a massive cup win bonus for him in his contract, and a scaling contract termination fee based on current league position. So the timing possibly saved us tens of millions. He had to go really, and for Levy to find the most financially viable way to get rid of him is very believable - probably hoping Mason could do a Di Matteo style job where it's on the players to win.. but that doesn't account for Winks getting 90 minutes or Lucas / Lo Celso starting ahead of Bale for example.

A shite era I wish never happened - though I would also concede that very few (if any) managers would have been successful with us during that period of time.

by winning two football matches against championship clubs.
That was hardly Tottenham or Mourinho’s fault, hey how many times have draws been made live for cups and we’ve had running commentary posts on hope we get ‘Doncaster’ away or ‘Bolton’ home…..nobody ever asks for ‘away’ at Liverpool, what do people want?

That was hardly Tottenham or Mourinho’s fault, hey how many times have draws been made live for cups and we’ve had running commentary posts on hope we get ‘Doncaster’ away or ‘Bolton’ home…..nobody ever asks for ‘away’ at Liverpool, what do people want?
It’s great for the club but it’s not evidence of Mourinho magic either.

Back
Top Bottom