Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In our last game Southampton absolutely battered us, and in large part due to a mdifield incapable of holding onto the ball.

We're now about to start the season with that same midfield. Then soon after face Chelsea... and even if Bissouma returns he won't be in top condition.

Going into the first two games of the season with Perisic as the only meaningful addition to the startng 11. Unless Spece gets off to a flying start.

Despite all the optimism that's not very exiting tbh.
Exactly. I want Bissouma integrated as soon as possible I watched Brighton a fair bit last term and few teams ran over the top of their midfield when he was fit. People talking like Southampton is a gimme have short memories.

0-1, 89 mins
No chance. This has shades of the 2019/2020 match. Early season, shite Southampton side, go 1-0 up early, go down to 10 men early, they equalise and we immediately make it 2-1 and never looked like conceding another. Considering how shit we were then (CL Final hangover), you could just imagine how shit Southampton were that day.

In our last game Southampton absolutely battered us, and in large part due to a mdifield incapable of holding onto the ball.

We're now about to start the season with that same midfield. Then soon after face Chelsea... and even if Bissouma returns he won't be in top condition.

Going into the first two games of the season with Perisic as the only meaningful addition to the startng 11. Unless Spece gets off to a flying start.

It's bad luck...

Unless your complaint is we should have bought 2 more CMs in this trf window just in case...?

Exactly. I want Bissouma integrated as soon as possible I watched Brighton a fair bit last term and few teams ran over the top of their midfield when he was fit. People talking like Southampton is a gimme have short memories.

So does everybody else (presumably including the manager).......

hopefully lenglet starts as we wll need more on the ball quality.

------------------------lloris-------------------------
-------------romero---dier---lenglet---------------
doherty--------PEH----bent--------------perisic
---------kulu--------kane------------son-----

get the job done quick and make full use of the subs to keep things fresh and share the match fitness about.

get the job done quick and make full use of the subs to keep things fresh and share the match fitness about.
I broke out in a sweat when I saw Bent in our line-up.. Suffered some serious flashbacks

That's the team I would like to see,

Of course, we’d all prefer to have Bissouma in the midfield for this game. But, due to a bit of bad luck and circumstances out of our control (Covid and injury) he can’t be. Thankfully we have more depth than what we had last year, so we’re not relying on players we don’t want or academy kids

Doherty really is the sore thumb sticking out.

It's bad luck...

Unless your complaint is we should have bought 2 more CMs in this trf window just in case...?
Well, you're jumping the gun a bit. I didn't say that, I'm just saying this is not the way we would have wanted to start the season. The likely starting 11 is nothing to get excited about cos it's basically what we had last season.

Rather than a truck full of CMs, if we'd managed to buy a top RWB, a top LCB and a quality attack minded CM (e.g. Barella), Bissouma wouldn't look like such a big miss. There are valid excuses not getting those players, but the bissouma injury does expose that our transfer business wasn't really THAT amazing.

I say this for Winks - he's a survivor

He's made it through Poch, Mourhino, Mason, Nuno and now Conte without being booted out.

Probably helps that he's home grown but still - for someone with a very low ceiling of footballing talent and progression, he's outlasted them all.

Quite incredible!

:adesalute:

Of course, we’d all prefer to have Bissouma in the midfield for this game. But, due to a bit of bad luck and circumstances out of our control (Covid and injury) he can’t be. Thankfully we have more depth than what we had last year, so we’re not relying on players we don’t want or academy kids
Just saying that it exposes our window as a being a lot less exciting than we'd hoped. With just one injury we're back to fielding almost the same starting 11 as the one that ended last season.

Just saying that it exposes our window as a being a lot less exciting than we'd hoped. With just one injury we're back to fielding almost the same starting 11 as the one that ended last season.
Yep. Its why its a decent but unspectacular window so far for me. 10/10 for the early deals, 8/10 for improving the squad but we just havent improved the first team enough to go too overboard as yet. Hopefully that will change in the next 4 weeks.

Well, you're jumping the gun a bit. I didn't say that,

It's a question..... No 'gun' has been 'jumped'.

(There is no 3rd scenario to this predicament, mind.)

I'm just saying this is not the way we would have wanted to start the season.

Of course not, but short of legislating against it with more signings in a position we don't need them; we've little choice but to suck it up.

Thankfully, PEH & Bentancur are a better combo than some are prepared to concede.

The likely starting 11 is nothing to get excited about cos it's basically what we had last season.

Perhaps; but mourning other positions due to 2 injuries at CM is a red-herring.

Rather than a truck full of CMs, if we'd managed to buy a top RWB, a top LCB and a quality attack minded CM (e.g. Barella), Bissouma wouldn't look like such a big miss. There are valid excuses not getting those players, but the bissouma injury does expose that our transfer business wasn't really THAT amazing.

(See above.)

Luckily for the purposes of this exchange, you're not conversing with someone that has used such extreme superlatives as "amazing" to describe this window.

We've done some good business and done it early, but you know what they say about 'best laid plans' (*).......

(*I mean, looking at another recent window, we bought GLC, TN & Sess all assumed to be starters and yet to this day I don't think they've ever started a game together.... Let alone Day 1 of the season.)

Last edited:
Not from a few posts in this thread. Some folk seem to think our midfield was fine. I think its functional with room still to improve

Hmmmmmm........ I don't see a single person in this thread saying they wouldn't want Bissouma to start.

Just cos Biss & Skipp aren't available; it doesn't mean the other 2 lads are shit.... We had a lot of good performances and results with that duo last season.

Perhaps; but mourning other positions due to 2 injuries at CM is a red-herring.
No it's not. Teams that have greater quality and depth across all 11 positions can afford to lose key players to injuries more than teams that have lesser overall quality.

The fact that with just one injury we're back to practically the same starting 11 as last season is a reason to be disappointed with the state of the squad.
Luckily for the purposes of this exchange, you're not conversing with someone that he used such extreme superlatives as "amazing" to describe this window.
And I wouldn't say "this is not an exciting start to the season" superlatives either, so I don't understand the point of your original reply.

No it's not. Teams that have greater quality and depth across all 11 positions can afford to lose key players to injuries more than teams that have lesser overall quality.

Errrr.... Hence we have decent players able to cover the 2 absences (+ Sarr for emergencies).

Besides..... Your talk of new starting players has magically morphed into a complaint about a lack of depth..... Seemingly you are prepared to complain that we didn't by more CMs afterall?

Virtually no-one has a bench that's a good as their best XI.

I'm not prepared to bicker with you about quality of depth..... It's ridiculous.

In 6 months we've gone from:

PEH, Skipp, Winks, Dele + Panic.

to

Bissoumsa, Bentancur, PEH, Skipp + Sarr.

It's even more ridiculous considering you assured me that your point was that we hadn't bought enough new starters....... and in other positions, no less!

And I wouldn't say "this is not an exciting start to the season" superlatives either, so I don't understand the point of your original reply.

Errrrr...... You literally started off complaining that (i quote) "Despite all the optimism that's not very exiting tbh."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom