Fulham VS Tottenham Hotspur. Carabao Cup. Tuesday 29th August 2023. Craven Cottage 19:45pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn't criticise Sanchez for missing a penalty, I've not read the thread but I can imagine the comments. Plenty of players have missed, penalties is a lottery. Shows once again his character for being willing to step up. Booed off and he still puts in the effort and takes responsibility, so kudos to him for doing that. He may lack quality, but I don't see anyone else who wanted to step up.
In the 84 shootout, Danny Thomas missed and the crowd responded by singing "There's only one Danny Thomas!" in solidarity. Gary Mabbutt believes that this support inspired Tony Parks into making the two saves necessary to win the shootout. Mabbutt is quoted as saying "The fans won that trophy!".

To be fair, this was a tough shootout to win. We were away from home and right in front of the Fulham fans and I can't imagine anyone singing "There's only one Davinson Sanchez!".

Sanchez did step up and that's very much to his credit. I had a feeling that Sanchez wouldn't score and that Hojbjerg should have been there instead of him but it is what it is. Let's hope we have better luck with the FA Cup.

Most frustrating thing is that it’s the same shit players like Davies and Sanchez that have been getting us knocked out of cups for 5-6 years now. Exact same thing every season. How are they still here?
Why dues Ange need to know about these players? They have lost time and time again. Just look at the SU cup gane last season. Richi started that along with some if the other fodder and we got knocked out. Ange really ficked up and biggest of all disrespected than fans. We have no europe there is no need for major rotation.

Also
But let’s say we got kudus from Ajax. That would give us Biss sarr maddd bent and him plus May be skipp. We haven’t been in for one quality midfiekder other than madd.
we turned up our nose to Scott. Tell you what I’d rather see him play than any of those midfielders we had out last night.

Ironically one of the most Angeball suited players didn't get a runout .. Ndombele is made for this type of football. What a difference he would have made in place of any of the midfield 3.
I know I just don’t get it. His not tried to integrate him. We need quality in midfiekd. Even if he was back up to madd. Is anyone seriously thinking he would have been any worse than the 3 that started. To repeat myself it is worrying that Ange sees skipp as an 8.

I like youth getting blooded and squad players getting a run out.

The cost of that is the occasional disappointment.

It's the league cup. Nobody should care. Would have been nice as minutes for the fringe, but nothing more.
Yes you are correct but you need some of your first teamers in there. It’s not like we would do that in a league game. Like I said before the scenario would be if say madd got injured then gio would come in and play with Biss and Sarr. His not gonna play with PEH and skipp. So why change all of them, out of the players yday the ones who prbly deserved a chance to start so that Ange could get to ‘see then’ were gio and May be Solomon. The rest have all played in the league this season. Skipp started first gane was dropped fir next two so what did Ange need to see in him. Same with royal.

That's really not how you assess the second string. You keep a largly cohesive side and then introduce two, maybe three changes and see how they do.

When you make 9 changes, the whole team loses cohesion and chemistry, cos at that point it's basically 9 strangers, and some of whom are utter shite, making it impossible for the potentially decent ones to shine.
100%

Well, a better 2nd half.

But the lack of creativity in the 2nd team is shocking, misplaced passes, playing the ball behind the runs of the forwards, not being able to find players...

People are screaming at Sanchez taking a penalty and blaming it on him, Forster should have stayed on his feet shifted to the left or right, before diving.

But he did make some good saves during the game, just fecking awful at penalties.

Our biggest problem is supplying the forwards, we just continue to make fuck all chances.

Look at Solomon, only had the ball played to him once in the area, that forced the goalkeeper to make a good save.

It really is truly awful.
Angeball not working atm

Will anybody buy Sanchez and PEH after tonight?

Premier League Celebration GIF by MolaTV

There is a painful, gaping drop in quality when we play our second string.
I’m sure that the manager wanted to see for himself how they held up in a competitive match, but to start tinkering so early into the season against a decent oppo was a mistake. There was no reason to not give ourselves the best opportunity to progress.
9 changes almost inevitably meant a disjointed looking team.
I’m not too angry. Losing on penalties when Dav takes the responsibility over some of the other more likely contenders isn’t the end of the world.
We just didnt look like a cohesive unit all night. That was disappointing after the first 3 games

We lost the game because Davies, lo Celso, PEH, Skipp, and Royal couldn't get a hold of the game, we really struggled to play to play through the lines. All 5 of them shouldn't be playing together.

Skipp struggled, so many missed placed passes and poor tackling. These need to be on point for him as he doesn't offer much else.

Richarlison worst game for us this season thought his general play was crap his touch and passing was poor. Scarletts movement is more natural as a CF than Richys, his general ball control looks more crisp too. Richarlison needs to step up or he's going to be dropped.

I didn't think Sanchez was too bad to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom