Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nobody can afford him, I think too many fans fail to understand just how little money non-PL clubs have.

Hojbjerg's salary is probably around £100k a week. We'd be looking for a fee of at least £20m too. No European team is going to pay that in the middle of the season. A loan might be possible but if we don't get a fee or at least an obligation to buy, that doesn't help us at all. It has become incredibly difficult for English clubs to sell their unwanted players because the financial disparity between the PL and other leagues is so huge.

Agree that there are not many clubs outside EPL who can buy high-earners from EPL.

However, if situation is as portrayed and PEH wants to be a starter himself, he ALWAYS has an option to settle for like 75 kpw salary and starters position. Also you know, upon signing he will get longer contract. So instead of 18 months on 100 kpw he could get 48 months for 75 kpw.

Also, while talking about finances, saying that "other clubs have no money in winter" is total bollocks. You know very well, that the amount will be paid in installments, across multiple years. So buying club does not need to have 20 mil sitting in the corner for the transfer to happen ;) .

Also, he is not "unwanted EPL player". He is often used and to me it looks like he himself wants to play more and be a starter. PEH situation is hardly same as Ndombeles for example.

Agree that there are not many clubs outside EPL who can buy high-earners from EPL.

However, if situation is as portrayed and PEH wants to be a starter himself, he ALWAYS has an option to settle for like 75 kpw salary and starters position. Also you know, upon signing he will get longer contract. So instead of 18 months on 100 kpw he could get 48 months for 75 kpw.

Also, while talking about finances, saying that "other clubs have no money in winter" is total bollocks. You know very well, that the amount will be paid in installments, across multiple years. So buying club does not need to have 20 mil sitting in the corner for the transfer to happen ;) .

We all know that fees are amortised, my point is that in the middle of the season it's not easy to add a big new earner to your squad if you can't move an existing one out. Most European clubs are already at their limit of spending and can't commit to big new contracts. That's exactly why so little business is being done outside of loan moves.

Well I see there are two possibilities here -

1) Club, manager and 90% of fans are clueless idiots, who cannot see a true world-class footballer even if he stares them in the face for a year...

2) There is something more and you cannot only base your evaluation on stats like "forward passes" or "forward passes success rate". You might also need to consider things like how quickly those passes are executed. EPL is fast-paced environment, literally every tenth of a second might make or break an attack. So even if you make that forward pass. Even if reaches it's target, it is very different if it arrives bit faster or bit slower. And I claim, that PEH technical limitations mean that for him it takes bit more time.

Also it just comfortably focuses on some stats. Though in the same chart is is visible, that in "progressive carries" he is on 33th percentile. Meaning... 67% of players compared to are better at that. Another thing that this does not cover (and I am not sure there is stat that would describe it accurately) is press resistance. How well can a midfielder can retain possession in tight spaces between opposition players. And what outcome (pass backwards, pass sideways, pass forward, losing possession) does this situation has. This is where PEH biggest limitation comes to play. He is just not that good in playing in such situations.
-----

NB! All that does not mean that PEH would be shit player. He just has his limitations.
This season he has played and helped team in numerous occasions. Professional player and part of the squad who absolutely has his part to play. I do not hate him, or say that we NEED to get rid of him - absolutely not.

To me, selling him would make sense if we get a good offer mainly because -
- he himself seems to want to be a starter, and due to his limitations he will not be starter for us under Ange
- he has 18 months left on his contract, and his potential sales value is decreasing fast
- he actually has value on the market, and I think if we sold him for 25 mil, right now we have ability to invest this money for player that fits better to Ange-ball logic

Basically - I'd be fine with him staying as squad player. But rationally it makes sense to sell him if there is decent bid for him.

I swear you just told me to compare charts for Davies and Micky VDV.

Where's the relevance?

Few more data points in these charts but still both examples miss as much context as you really need to really conduct analytics studies. The stats we all share in these groups are designed for exactly what we are, fans.

I'm fully aware of the context.

Hojbjerg is a terrible fit for Angeball and needs to be moved on. Regardless of over the top stats that tell us he's the best midfielder in the team.

How the fuck is he still here? 9th choice midfielder and he’s still hanging around like a cuckold husband in a wheelchair, watching his wife get poled by a basketball team

Fucking tosser

How the fuck is he still here? 9th choice midfielder and he’s still hanging around like a cuckold husband in a wheelchair, watching his wife get poled by a basketball team

Fucking tosser

Sometimes I just think you aren't aware of how human beings actually function and think football is basically a video game

The option to buy, should they take it, is €15.000.000 & it has been agreed to be paid in equal installments spread over 5 seasons, starting from 2025.

I wonder if we could offer Hog to Newcastle on a loan with an obligation to buy.
Play now, pay later deal similar to Ndombele?

Meh. Whether they think PEH is good or not is not the issue.

Just a deeply unpleasant individual in many ways.
Just enjoy posting nonsense to whip you into a headwand, italic typing frenzy

Doubt this oaf will even make the bench tonight, we told you all along so bring your apologies boy

Back
Top Bottom