Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All the speculation re Holtby, Capoe, Chadli, Lamela etc proves is that we were wrong to sell Bale in the summer.

The £90m means fuck all as we didn't need 7 new players, we just needed one or two and to keep Bale - we can only play 11 players at a time and even with a crippling injury list we still have players complaining because they aren't getting enough games.

AVB got criticised for not finding a settled team, but he was managing to keep everyone bar Adebayor happy. I think we were well placed with the squad we have/had to finish the season strongly just because of the sheer numbers and the quality. Now I can see us breaking it up and relying on picking the same 11 every week, we know from Redknapp that this doesn't work when you are also playing in the Europa league.

We seem to be taking the two steps back without even managing the one step forward at the moment.

All the speculation re Holtby, Capoe, Chadli, Lamela etc proves is that we were wrong to sell Bale in the summer.

The £90m means fuck all as we didn't need 7 new players, we just needed one or two and to keep Bale - we can only play 11 players at a time and even with a crippling injury list we still have players complaining because they aren't getting enough games.

I prefer this than the alternative. Let's not forget most people were delighted with our transfer activity over the summer, hell we even wanted to bring in Willian in addition to everyone else. I think our lack of quality squad depth last season and the season before stopped us from getting Champions League as much as we want to use other factors as the only reason.

AVB got criticised for not finding a settled team, but he was managing to keep everyone bar Adebayor happy. I think we were well placed with the squad we have/had to finish the season strongly just because of the sheer numbers and the quality. Now I can see us breaking it up and relying on picking the same 11 every week, we know from Redknapp that this doesn't work when you are also playing in the Europa league.

We seem to be taking the two steps back without even managing the one step forward at the moment.
Spot on.
Even if we had to sell Bale, there was no need to buy SEVEN new players in ONE window.
Imo, Lewis/Levy and co. has had a massive fuckup this past window.

I prefer this than the alternative. Let's not forget most people were delighted with our transfer activity over the summer, hell we even wanted to bring in Willian in addition to everyone else. I think our lack of quality squad depth last season and the season before stopped us from getting Champions League as much as we want to use other factors as the only reason.

I prefer it as well, but it seems like we aren't going to keep our squad and are instead going to rely on inexperienced youngsters.

also; Willian was either/or with Lamela imo.

Problem was that we didn't know last summer whether or not Bale would sustain the form he showed last year. As it is his time at Madrid shows that he probably could have, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. I think Levy likely viewed it as his only chance to get such a hefty transfer fee.

AVB got criticised for not finding a settled team, but he was managing to keep everyone bar Adebayor happy.
Not sure where you are getting this from. The rumours suggest that he pissed off a lot of people in the club.

I think we were well placed with the squad we have/had to finish the season strongly just because of the sheer numbers and the quality. Now I can see us breaking it up and relying on picking the same 11 every week, we know from Redknapp that this doesn't work when you are also playing in the Europa league.
This isn't true. You say "we know from Redknapp that it doesn't work", but the reality is that AVB's results last season were pretty much on par with Redknapp's, with only two to three points difference for the most part. So I'm really not seeing the proof that AVB had it right and Redknapp had it wrong, because I just don't see that much of a difference in results and league position. Therefore, in my opinion, it remains to be seen what the correct approach should be with the current squad.
I don't see how that can be said. I may not yet by convinced by Timmy Weasel, but we're sixth in the table and one result off top four. When you consider that in our past three seasons we missed out on CL by a margin of one extra result I'm not seeing how we've fallen behind yet at all. Just seems to me that we're merely treading water at the same level as we have done for a number of years now and we just need that extra push to get us over the line. But that's been the case ever since our first CL run from Redknapp, to AVB to Weasel.

Like who?

Link?
Well, Chadli for a start....

http://www.london24.com/sport/totte..._to_avb_playing_him_out_of_position_1_3209044

Plus, please refer to my use of the word "rumour". A number of supposed "ITK"s have said that AVB's relationship has broken down with many inside the club and that he wanted to go as much as Levy was unhappy. It's what the Daily Fail used to create this story....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...B--Levys-humilation-bust-Freund-Adebayor.html

I don't have cast iron proof because I don't work at the club, but there there is equally no proof that it was all sweetness and light. The falling out with Adebayor and the lack of spark on the pitch under AVB this season suggest the former rather than the latter. So I think it's pure speculation to say he had a squad full of happy chappies.

Forgive me, but are you trying to make the case that AVB should still be here? If you are I'm not getting in to that again. Given my view of that on multiple occasions. He's gone now and isn't coming back. The way I see it, if Weasel is not the man to bring us success then our fan energy would be better spent focusing on who might be able to take us forward instead of holding grudges and grumbling over what could've been. You know, @ sammyspurs sammyspurs is right in that respect. He couldn't let go of Redknapp so everyone gave him shit, but I'm now seeing people who are disgruntled over AVB and can't let that go either. I find it weird.

AVB got criticised for not finding a settled team, but he was managing to keep everyone bar Adebayor happy.

Was he? This bleating seems to be players with one eye on the world cup, only bentaleb has come into the side so these 'problems' would still have arisen.

Well, Chadli for a start....
“Nacer had to play in a role which doesn’t suit him,” Evrard added. “They wanted him to play on the left wing and he is not exactly a winger – he prefers to play through the middle.
jags.gif

AVB only made Ade unhappy?

Why did Caulker tweet "karma" after he was sacked then?
BAE?
Vertonghen said twice in 3 months he doesnt like paying LB
Lloris' worse form of his career was under AVB.....now he's suddenly keeping clean sheets again and playing well:
“I felt that the team just gave up because we couldn’t find a solution,”
“It was that combined with the earlier 6-0 mauling from Manchester City that ultimately cost Villas-Boas his job.I haven’t conceded six in one game before and it is my first experience of losing 5-0 at home,”

Lloris

Walker has improved...
Naughton has improved...
Eriksen is being used....

Laughable to suggest only Ade suffered

I don't see how that can be said. I may not yet by convinced by Timmy Weasel, but we're sixth in the table and one result off top four. When you consider that in our past three seasons we missed out on CL by a margin of one extra result I'm not seeing how we've fallen behind yet at all. Just seems to me that we're merely treading water at the same level as we have done for a number of years now and we just need that extra push to get us over the line. But that's been the case ever since our first CL run from Redknapp, to AVB to Weasel.

I view;

having Bale > replacing him with large squad of internationals > selling half of them and relying on Bentaleb, Kane, Carroll

as taking four steps back without taking any forward.

If Sherwood, is as we suppose, only a short term appointment then what we do this season is largely irrelevant and in fact we shouldn't be selling anyone as the next manager might actually want these players in 6 months time.....

Levy is penny pinching yet again imo, we were told Bale was going to be replaced by a superior squad overall - and yet 6 months on that isn't the case, we are just going to rely on the youth team and pocket the cash instead.

Surely we should't sell anyone until the summer. Timmy might not like Capoue, Holtby etc, but hopefully Timmy won't be the manager in the summer and van Gal or Joe Bloggs might like them and want to build a team around them.

Levy shouldn't let Timmy sell anyone because he is only in the hot seat for 18 months (if that).

EDIT. Beat me to it Blanchflower.

Back
Top Bottom