Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I`m not actually Anti-Sherwood. But I am Anti-Levy for basically writing off our season before half way by appointing him. I honestly believe the supporters, especially those who go week in week out, deserved better.

Well he created two chances second only to Adebayor and Eriksen. He has more attempted forward passes (36) than square and backward passes combined (33). He completed 58 passes which is 15 more than Walker who had the second most.

He had the highest pass completion on the team at 84% tied with Paulinho who attempted 22 less passes. He also led the team in accurate long balls with 4. Furthermore, he had 4 interceptions and won 2/3 aerial duels and was 2/2 on clearances.

So basically your eyes are crocked mate.
Those stats are meaningless, especially since his actual displaced passes were the most important ones like where he destroyed a few counters or failed to find Ade/Soldado in the final third when they were open. He's more concerned with not making mistakes than doing something particularly outstanding. You can add all the numbers you can find - but I know what a I saw today - and no stat can change that.

Last edited:
It was strange to throw both Paulinho and Vertonghen in for 90 mins after being out for so long.
Lennon looked as poor as i've seen him in a Spurs shirt, hopefully he will have a blinder next week against a much more offensive Everton, usually has the better of Baines. The thing with Hull they literally don't let their defenders leave their half, you can't counter against them as they're already organised and the two centre midfielders are very defensive. We've had this problem for years, teams who drop deep we can't break down, not without a Bale or a muscular forward anyway.
Positives, our 'first choice' back 5 are fit.
Bentaleb has replaced Scott Parker for turning in circles whilst standing. In all honesty he has impressed me, he is purely a 'tick over' sort of footballer. Paulinho is similar but has a bit of everything in his locker, especially getting into that box. Still my ideal formation in the midfield would be,
:sandroscream::dembele:
:paulinhowtf:
:townhmm::eriksenserious:
not that i've a problem with the 442 but starting 2/3rds of our fit strikers scares me.
:sherwoodwtf:

Now I see why TS wanted to cut our roster depth, he's planning on making no substitutions the rest of the way. I won't miss AVB the tactician, but at least he knew the importances of depth.

I`ll be at WHL next Sunday. The Spurs v Everton "match up" doesnt worry me. But the Sherwood v Martinez one certainly does. Its just so fucking wrong.

Those stats are meaningless, especially since his displaced passes were the most important ones like the ones were he destroyed a few counters or failed to find Ade/Soldado in the final third when they were open. He's more concerned with not making mistakes than doing something particularly outstdanign. You can add all the numbers you can find - but I know what a I saw today - and no stat can change that

Stats do not lie. I have changed my mind. Bentaleb was outstanding today. Lloris was the weak link. The fucker barely made any passes and had zero shots on goal. Lloris out

IF he hadn't scored, I'd have agreed with you!

Lennon & Soldado were our weak links today not Nabil... a fit-again Townsend will hopefully keep Lennon on his toes!

Hopefully ONE of Ade & Robbie will be fit for next weekend!
Massively agree not sure what games people are watching sometimes, bentaleb was not great against city but he's been ok so far our weak links are Dawson, Lennon and soldado, they are providing far more problems imo.

Those stats are meaningless, especially since his displaced passes were the most important ones like the ones were he destroyed a few counters or failed to find Ade/Soldado in the final third when they were open. He's more concerned with not making mistakes than doing something particularly outstdanign. You can add all the numbers you can find - but I know what a I saw today - and no stat can change that

You know what you saw today because you made up your mind before the game was played. You would never give Bentaleb credit no matter what he did.

Yeah stats mean nothing at all because it is better to not complete passes, create chances, or dispossess the other team. None of these things are important in a football match. Makes sense.

It all just fits into your I hate Sherwood narrative. You are Sammy mk 2.

Yeah, fucking joker - only sat at the back and flapped his hands
I swear some people collate all stats at the end of every game for every team and at the end of the season decide how well we have done according to number of diagonal balls hit in the 59th minute of every match we've played

You know what you saw today because you made up your mind before the game was played. You would never give Bentaleb credit no matter what he did.

Yeah stats mean nothing at all because it is better to not complete passes, create chances, or dispossess the other team. None of these things are important in a football match. Makes sense.
No - I saw displaced passes at crucial attacking phases and general passive play. He can knock 400 side ways passes to Verts and get in his way - but that won't make him Zidane because ALL stats are contextual

You can spin this any pro-Timmy way you want - but I'll tell you as much - I have no issues with him pushing youngsters through but there has to be balance and reason. The kid has played in every game which is ridiculous, imv

No - I saw displaced passes at crucial attacking phases and general passive play. He can knock 400 side ways passes to Verts and get in his way - but that won't make him Zidane because ALL stats are contextual

You can spin this any pro-Timmy way you want - but I'll tell you as much - I have no issues with him pushing youngsters through but there has to be balance and reason. The kid has played in every game which is ridiculous, imv
I certainly agree that all stats are contextual. They aren't the be all end all. However, he didn't just complete sideways passes to Vertonghen. He completed the most forward passes of any one in the side. I don't remember him killing any counterattack or being any hindrance in attacking play. I'll have to rewatch. I thought Eriksen and Lennon were much more destructive to attacking play.

You've had a target on Bentaleb since he started playing and have never stopped. You have a very strong bias against him for whatever reason. I don't know what else to say.

Lots to blame Tim for today, Bentaleb isn't even in the top ten.

I agree, I'm sure if we combine all of our positive thoughts, we'll win the league, forget fighting for 4th. :freundgoal:
There's a difference between saying the same shit over and over and criticism. We all know this season's been shit, don't need people telling me how bad it is every 5 mins.

Back
Top Bottom