Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is that because he is our only center mid that can pass forwards?

No. I dont believe he is. Sandro, Capoue, Eriksen, Holtby, Sigurdsson and Bentaleb are all adept.

Its because I think he has the physicality to make himself a real nuisance, because he plays some very smart touches and can clearly shoot/score. While he isnt your traditional #10 type, I think he has the tools to be really effective there. Soldado's only goal from open play came from a wonderful interchange and touch with Paulinho, for example

No. I dont believe he is. Sandro, Capoue, Eriksen, Holtby, Sigurdsson and Bentaleb are all adept.

Its because I think he has the physicality to make himself a real nuisance, because he plays some very smart touches and can clearly shoot/score. While he isnt your traditional #10 type, I think he has the tools to be really effective there. Soldado's only goal from open play came from a wonderful interchange and touch with Paulinho, for example

Paulinho definitely needs to play further forward, he looks lost when he drops back to pick up the ball to be the player that starts attacks.

We also desperately need one of our midfielders to take on some defensive discipline and hold their position in front of the back four - Bentaleb doesn't seem capable of doing it, perhaps its just inexperience.

It's odd with us lot,...
Many will kneejerk the season away in September if we're not Top by 10 clear points (an extreme example, I realise)
But at what point of the season CAN we accept we ARE in the mix?
Fuck me, people are still talking about Man Utd putting a run together and challenging for 4th, so if THEY'RE in the mix......
Not saying we should start planning our trips to the Nou Camp or Allianz Arena JUST yet, but fuck me we're IN THERE with at least 3 other teams!

It may be desperately 'un-Spursy',... But it's no crime if we allow ourselves to start enjoying it!!!

Agree completely. People are so unnecessarily negative. A lot of these are the same people who mercilessly slag off our squad, coaches, etc. It seems to me to be a bit hypocritical to give up on your team, call them names, say they are soft, they can't handle adversity, no toughness, etc... when the person saying all this stuff gives up midway into the first half, panics, loses composure, etc... talk about needing to look in the mirror.

Paulinho definitely needs to play further forward, he looks lost when he drops back to pick up the ball to be the player that starts attacks.

We also desperately need one of our midfielders to take on some defensive discipline and hold their position in front of the back four - Bentaleb doesn't seem capable of doing it, perhaps its just inexperience.

Its funny cos I remember when we were signing Paulinho, there were loads of articles on sites talking about how he was a box to box midfielder who was great going forward but also defensively. Since the game at Selhurst I think everyone would have said he doesn't defend well

Bentaleb is an attacking midfielder who has been used in a more box to box manner his tackle stats are good but he is not there to screen the defence. Capoue and dembele would be a better combo for this but even they have adventurous instincts, only Sandro really screens the defence in the way Parker used to do, as long as we are midfield heavy I think the defending can be shared.

Agree with you about paulinho would love him, Ade, Townsend and eriksen to be our attacking four. We could do that if we play dembele and capoue or bentaleb behind to protect our defence. Paulinho doesn't look right in centre mid, he needs the freedom to cause mayhem.

Back
Top Bottom