Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dnipro's goal in the first game was not a pen, it was outside the box.. Their goal tonight was offside, they have rolled around holding their faces for 180 mins, they have time wasted and people want to mention Jans head butt as though it was cheating... He was actually head butted and feigned nothing.. Get a fucking grip..

On second thought although it's not great to see, what would've happened if JV hadn't have dropped to the floor dramatically holding his face?

Most likely nothing, even though a headbutt is a straight red. It's not right but that's how it is in football, you don't get a lot for honesty.

It was wrong, end of story, if anything it was a head bump,(accidental) Vertonghen was walking into him. If your gonna give a red card fine, but to roll around on the ground like that is ridiculous. I don't like to see it from any team, let alone my own. Gotta hold our boys to higher standards.

It was wrong, end of story, if anything it was a head bump,(accidental) Vertonghen was walking into him. If your gonna give a red card fine, but to roll around on the ground like that is ridiculous. I don't like to see it from any team, let alone my own. Gotta hold our boys to higher standards.

Have you even seen the episode more than one time?

Accidental? Get your head out of your ass.
Watch the douchebag in this video, clear fucking deliberate headbutt. Watch the last angle from 0:50 and then get the fuck out.

Yes, Jan's reaction is drastic, but that fucking prick deserved everything he got.

Watch the douchebag in this video, clear fucking deliberate headbutt. Watch the last angle from 0:50 and then get the fuck out.

Yes, Jan's reaction is drastic, but that fucking prick deserved everything he got.

Do you really want to see Spurs players do that shit?.

No. But no matter what his reaction is, there's no perfect ending to that situation.

1) He could stay on his feet. Result: The diving, cheating scumbag who headbutted him would stay on the field.
2) He could fall to the ground. Result: The diving, cheating scumbag who headbutted him is sent off.

Either situation is terrible, but situation 2) gives the prick what he deserves while Jans reputation takes a knock down, while situation 1) allows this prick to continue while Jans reputation is intact.

Hate divers, but this is not a classic Ashley-Young-dead-leg-no-contact-dive. This is a clear red card no matter what, but if Jan stays on his feet it won't be given. Therefore situation 2) anyday.

if your gonna defend our players no matter what fine, but the 5'2 dwarf couldn't even reach vertonghen's shoulder. IMO there is absolutely nothing in it. Makes him look like a Fucking Pussy.

Looks to me like he got headbutted in the temple, and went to ground.
Sure, he could have stood his ground, but football has changed.
Singling out Jan here and criticizing him is stupid.
Quite frankly I'm glad he did that, the cunt headbutted him and shouldn't be on the field...

More like a head bump. Happy to move on in the competition, but hate that it had to be this way. I don't like to see so many people supporting Jan's actions either... that 'win at all costs' mentality is a shame. We complain and insult others for their diving incidents, so it's only right we hold our guys to the same standards.

No, but they will, so accept it. It's not Spurs, it's football. Don't expect the whole game to do something and expect us not too. High standards or not, it is what it is and moaning about it is futile. As futile as the Levy Out brigade.
I don't have to have accept it. Moaning about it is futile? What is this, Nazi Germany. Fuck off.

if your gonna defend our players no matter what fine, but the 5'2 dwarf couldn't even reach vertonghen's shoulder. IMO there is absolutely nothing in it. Makes him look like a Fucking Pussy.

Blind as a fucking bat. Just look at him at 0:50. If you don't see it:
2696695090_40e47469ca_b.jpg

In no way was it accidental, it's painfully clear that it wasn't. The way he stepped up, hit into him, and then backed up while feigning surprise proves it. You're just wrong on this part of it.

While I don't want to see our players go down that easily, it was the best option. Here are the choices...

1. Jan could take the hit and do nothing - Seriously? We're advocating our players take digs like that lying down? That just invites more abuse and is not a viable option.

2. Jan strikes back - Not a good idea as we've seen in the past. He could lash out and either (1) he'd get a red card, (2) or their offenses would wash and both would maybe get yellows.

3. Jan draws attention - He just got headbutted and relatively hard if you see the way his head shakes when he gets hit. Enough to drop to the ground? No, but it didn't result in him getting penalized in any manner and the offender was punished.

I never want to see our players dive or go down easy, but this was a crystal clear offense and in that moment he chose the best out of the available options.

Back
Top Bottom