New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

sammyspurs sammyspurs

lets look to the future mate,

I understand your point, but unfortunately wailing against the despicable nature of the modern footballer is like you looking at your dick and wishing it would grow just a few more inches..

players will be players...

come on Sammy abit of damn positivity would be nice

sammyspurs sammyspurs

lets look to the future mate,

I understand your point, but unfortunately wailing against the despicable nature of the modern footballer is like you looking at your dick and wishing it would grow just a few more inches..

players will be players...

come on Sammy abit of damn positivity would be nice

I as am optimistic as this club allows you to be.

Where was the optimism and positivity when TS came in....? Its been hell this season, and I worry about the players attitude.

One good thing, is they all seem to be on the same page at least, and want someone in charge who can match their own ambitions. But respecting a manager, and playing well should not be conditional.

In my opinion, Levy has bent to their demands....and I think its the right decision....but now he needs to call a meeting and put the players firmly back in their box, and tell them exactly who the fuck is running this club.

Can't agree with that. It's also about fan base and wealth. United and Liverpool have both trailed us at various points recently, but there is no question that their fandom and wealth far outweighs ours. That's just fact, whether we like it or not. Therefore it follows that when clubs like that have a dip they have the better reputation and financial power to recover.

Does that explain why you think Chelseas 10 years of "success" is as valid as our successes since 1901, therefore making them a bigger club?

Does it matter if we're a big club or not?

To sound horribly ruthless does it not all just go down to who can afford the most?

I could write about a proud history and the pride of North London, but anyone coming in to the club in these times is more likely to ask, 'what are you prepared to pay?', it's the nature of the beast, it's not something I think is right but that's honestly what we're looking at.

We're big enough to nick Martinez away from Everton. Yeah, he's loyal but he isn't stupid - can he do better next year at Everton? People always think managers of small clubs (Wigan) aren't that good but look what he's done with more resources at Everton. Think what he could do with our resources.
I also like the idea of De Boer but it's more of a gamble because of zero Prem experience.
I figure, whoever it is, it can't be worse than this season. Worst season ever.

Why are we big enough. Put yourself in his spot. He is working with a squad that I would argue is better than ours, and actually give a shit. He is working with a chairman that he gets on with, whereas our chairman is a vile cnunt. We can offer him absolutely nothing Everton cant. What recourses are you referring to, we have a net spend of zero in the last three years, and £6m in the last 5, that's hardly spending big, is it ?

Does it matter if we're a big club or not?

To sound horribly ruthless does it not all just go down to who can afford the most?

I could write about a proud history and the pride of North London, but anyone coming in to the club in these times is more likely to ask, 'what are you prepared to pay?', it's the nature of the beast, it's not something I think is right but that's honestly what we're looking at.

History matters, and thats why Real Madrid will always piss on the likes of City and Monaco, no matter who they sign.

Why are we big enough. Put yourself in his spot. He is working with a squad that I would argue is better than ours, and actually give a shit. He is working with a chairman that he gets on with, whereas our chairman is a vile cnunt. We can offer him absolutely nothing Everton cant. What recourses are you referring to, we have a net spend of zero in the last three years, and £6m in the last 5, that's hardly spending big, is it ?

Not sure about better than ours, Everton have a good first 11 but like Liverpool they have been luck this season not to get injuries, I would take maybe 4 of their players, Baines, Stones, Lukaku (who isn't even their's) and Barkley and maybe Coleman (still like Walker just as much though) and for me Eriksen is better than them, wouldn't swap him for any Everton player. on paper we have about 8-10 decent midfielders alone we just have no real worked out system to use them.

I don't just blame the manager, its all the new players, the constant injury crisis this season, the change in managers, the fact some players have ego's way to big for them, it a series of many issues, it's a mess. Everton have a good manager, a style of play and players who want to play for them, we do not. We have not performed as the sum of our parts, Everton have. That in many ways is the only good thing I can think of, we have great potential with the right manager and long enough time to develop the squad although I feel some players many need to be sold.

History matters, and thats why Real Madrid will always piss on the likes of City and Monaco, no matter who they sign.
So City have no history as well now, according to you? They won the old Division One exactly the same amount of times we did, along with 6 domestic cups and a European trophy in the pre-prem days.

At the end of the day your argument is illogical. Why do RM "piss all over the other clubs"? Tradition and history? That helps in terms of expectation and attractiveness to fans maybe, but in the modern era it is largely irrelevant. 78Spur is right. It is down now to who pays the most when building a side that can challenge - and the fact is that history is not just what happened 50 years ago, but what happened yesterday and what happens as we go along. Players go to Real because they can pay stupid high wages, have the best players in the world and have a realistic prospect of decent trophy hauls. They don't go there because of the trophies Real won 50 years ago.

There is certainly an argument that the recent successes of Chelsea and Man City have been considerably helped by the financial investment. But games still have to be won and these sides still have to compete against other teams with good players or similar investment. So, from that point of view, their trophy wins are still trophy wins - and that constitutes a history. An inferior history because of they way these trophies were won? Maybe, but it's still a history. Oh, and I never said Chelsea were "bigger" than us. What I said was that they are now a big club and they do now have a history, whether it's been "bought" or not. It's simply stupid to bury one's head in the sand and pretend that they are still midtable minnows. Like it or not they are direct competitors and now have ten times the amount of fans we have - and seriously, how long have you been holding onto that? I think I said that about 2 years ago. Wow. Anything for an argument, eh?

The problem with a lot of Spurs fans is that they are stuck in the past, clinging onto this notion of us as a big club with a grand history. But the vast majority of our trophies and success pre-date the Premier League era. For the past 20 years we've done very little and do you know what it's taken to even get us to be competing for the CL spots? Inward investment from a portfolio funded by, yup, a billionaire. Investment in a new training ground and a new stadium has come directly from that - and it's all being done so that we can fill more seats and afford to pay the better players the bigger salaries. What's more it's pretty much the only way we can remain in contention for CL, and eventually the title, and stay in with a chance of creating new history for ourselves. The only difference between City, Chelsea and us in the modern era is that the level of investment that they have is more direct and higher than ours. But talk to a fan of another club with past glories such as Nottingham Forest and they will likely make the case that we are where we are because of a billionaire benefactor. In historical terms, they are a big club too. But it doesn't seem to be helping them create new history.

These may be uncomfortable truths for keyboard warriors and blokes in the pub, but the fact is that the football world of 50 years ago is lost to the past and isn't coming back. We have to accept the reality of the present and move with the times.

So City have no history as well now, according to you? They won the old Division One exactly the same amount of times we did, along with 6 domestic cups and a European trophy in the pre-prem days.

At the end of the day your argument is illogical. Why do RM "piss all over the other clubs"? Tradition and history? That helps in terms of expectation and attractiveness to fans maybe, but in the modern era it is largely irrelevant. 78Spur is right. It is down now to who pays the most when building a side that can challenge - and the fact is that history is not just what happened 50 years ago, but what happened yesterday and what happens as we go along. Players go to Real because they can pay stupid high wages, have the best players in the world and have a realistic prospect of decent trophy hauls. They don't go there because of the trophies Real won 50 years ago.

There is certainly an argument that the recent successes of Chelsea and Man City have been considerably helped by the financial investment. But games still have to be won and these sides still have to compete against other teams with good players or similar investment. So, from that point of view, their trophy wins are still trophy wins - and that constitutes a history. An inferior history because of they way these trophies were won? Maybe, but it's still a history. Oh, and I never said Chelsea were "bigger" than us. What I said was that they are now a big club and they do now have a history, whether it's been "bought" or not. It's simply stupid to bury one's head in the sand and pretend that they are still midtable minnows. Like it or not they are direct competitors and now have ten times the amount of fans we have - and seriously, how long have you been holding onto that? I think I said that about 2 years ago. Wow. Anything for an argument, eh?

The problem with a lot of Spurs fans is that they are stuck in the past, clinging onto this notion of us as a big club with a grand history. But the vast majority of our trophies and success pre-date the Premier League era. For the past 20 years we've done very little and do you know what it's taken to even get us to be competing for the CL spots? Inward investment from a portfolio funded by, yup, a billionaire. Investment in a new training ground and a new stadium has come directly from that - and it's all being done so that we can fill more seats and afford to pay the better players the bigger salaries. What's more it's pretty much the only way we can remain in contention for CL, and eventually the title, and stay in with a chance of creating new history for ourselves. The only difference between City, Chelsea and us in the modern era is that the level of investment that they have is more direct and higher than ours. But talk to a fan of another club with past glories such as Nottingham Forest and they will likely make the case that we are where we are because of a billionaire benefactor. In historical terms, they are a big club too. But it doesn't seem to be helping them create new history.

These may be uncomfortable truths for keyboard warriors and blokes in the pub, but the fact is that the football world of 50 years ago is lost to the past and isn't coming back. We have to accept the reality of the present and move with the times.

Fucking hell mate, do you need to write an encyclopedia every time.....

THFC > Chelsea

Just click disagree next time and save yourself the bother. Your argument sucks.

Point is Chelsea can pay more for a player than we can. They can attract talent with the Champions League and challenge for the leaugue next year.

The fact it's all bought with illigitimate billions from a Russian Oligargh and their fans are horrendous does not seem to have stopped them signing some of the most talented playing staff in the world.

History counts only to us fans, not the players or coaches.Would I want to be a Chelsea fan? Not for all the fucking tea in China...

Back
Top Bottom