Seattle Friendly on SAT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane needs to get time for us this year. Everybody giving Holtby credit for scoring the goal, but I think the pass was prettier than the finish. To me, Kane will make a better playmaker and CAM than Holtby will. I wouldn't mind seeing Holtby tried at 8 or on the wing though.

Bit much to make that judgement over one pass?

By that thought, you could say that Holtby would make a better Forward than Kane, just because there was a role reversal?

Kane needs to get time for us this year. Everybody giving Holtby credit for scoring the goal, but I think the pass was prettier than the finish. To me, Kane will make a better playmaker and CAM than Holtby will. I wouldn't mind seeing Holtby tried at 8 or on the wing though.

Yep. I think holtby should be only used as backup for eriksen and Lamela, although I'm a big backer of Lamela, he was ineffectual today. Holtby should be used behind the striker. He's much better in the final third than deep and it was a great run from him.

When they scored that screamer Capoue was winning his battle but the ball fell to the op and holtby and Carroll were just standing there not helping out. Capoue was overun with little help.

Kane looked so solid, progressive and proactive. Plus he has that competative edge that we need.

Bit much to make that judgement over one pass?

By that thought, you could say that Holtby would make a better Forward than Kane, just because there was a role reversal?

Holtby has potential to be one of our best forwards. He just needs protection of big players to express himself.

He was also fucked after 30 mins. He really needs to work on his engine.

Bobby - penalty king
Ice cold under pressure. That is the sign of a class act. Yes, he had a shit season generally, but he is ultra reliable from the spot. Penalties are the most difficult set pieces of the lot because the taker is expected to score & the pressure is immense. If he can regain his confidence & goal sniffing instinct in open play, it's a happy prospect. His confidence took a pounding last season for any number of reasons, so I think it's clean slate time for everyone to show the manager what they can do. I'm sure the lack of managerial certainty caused a lot of problems for players last season, especially for new signings adapting to a new country but that's no longer an excuse. Settled manager, a full year in England to adjust under their belt. I'm looking forward to seeing last years big signings prove their fee. If they don't, then there are no more excuses

Only got to see the highlights but man it looks like Harry Kane is threatening to become a real player for us. That assist was some high level shit. Combined with his excellent couple of game cameos at the end of last season and the fact that he is only 20 years old. It's very impressive.

The only concern is that he has the same problem Wayne Rooney has. The position they were made to play has largely disappeared from the modern game. It's very tough to utilize a second striker nowadays. Kane probably isn't skilled enough or mobile enough to #10 and it's up in the air whether he can truly lead a line. He's so young and has a lot of time to develop, but it would annoying if we couldn't find a true spot for him considering how much footballing quality he has.

Last edited:
Ice cold under pressure. That is the sign of a class act. Yes, he had a shit season generally, but he is ultra reliable from the spot. Penalties are the most difficult set pieces of the lot because the taker is expected to score & the pressure is immense. If he can regain his confidence & goal sniffing instinct in open play, it's a happy prospect. His confidence took a pounding last season for any number of reasons, so I think it's clean slate time for everyone to show the manager what they can do. I'm sure the lack of managerial certainty caused a lot of problems for players last season, especially for new signings adapting to a new country but that's no longer an excuse. Settled manager, a full year in England to adjust under their belt. I'm looking forward to seeing last years big signings prove their fee. If they don't, then there are no more excuses

Agree.

Also liked how he let Iago take the 2nd Penalty - all too easy for an arrogant striker to want to bag two penalties in the same match and be all like "yeah I'm the hero" - class move for him to let some of the younger guys get a chance.

Kaboul went all Morpheus there for a second.
LzRFJqQ.jpg

I watched the highlights, and i know its still pre-season but what was our general play like?

It was like the first game of preseason, rusty still not fully fit nobody breaking their neck to get anywhere, anyone quick to diss the defence must remember in those circumstances first game they are the ones who will look worst as still finding feet under pressure from team height of season, by 3rd game of tour you will see improvements

Overall as others said the main difference is where possible spurs pressed plus did one touch passages of play which was great to see this early, more please

Holtby had same old issue of running himself into ground but did well, as did Kane nobody else really stood out apart from soldados touch for his penalty

Onto Toronto!!

Something I noticed was a concerted effort to release early balls behind the defensive line. Several times Ceballos and Holtby were looking to put the ball over the top for Soldado to run onto, something we missed last season. This is clearly something being worked on with Soldado's strength as a box finisher in mind and very good to see.

Also Lamela had a fine showing. The surface was a real problem for many of our players, and indeed some of the Seattle players, when it came to reading the bounce and being able to keep the ball under control when moving with it. Lots of times players overran the ball (Townsend in particular, did he complete a dribble in the game?) or got it stuck under their feet. Lamela came on and his touch was crisp and controlled immediately. He ran at the defence with confidence and had his head up looking for the one-two all the time. It was immediately apparent that he was by far the most comfortable player with his technique on the pitch. Still not quite at his Roma level, understandably, but with minutes on the pitch he could get there. If he does he will be the difference for us.

I love how he speaks English, just well enough to know the point he is making but just questionable enough that he can go "full Manuel" when twats like Jiggins and Ashton pipe up

que.jpg

Only got to see the highlights but man it looks like Harry Kane is threatening to become a real player for us. That assist was some high level shit. Combined with his excellent couple of game cameos at the end of last season and the fact that he is only 20 years old. It's very impressive.

The only concern is that he has the same problem Wayne Rooney has. The position they were made to play has largely disappeared from the modern game. It's very tough to utilize a second striker nowadays. Kane probably isn't skilled enough or mobile enough to #10 and it's up in the air whether he can truly lead a line. He's so young and has a lot of time to develop, but it would annoying if we couldn't find a true spot for him considering how much footballing quality he has.

That's why i think Ade should be played slightly behind him. Both players are pretty good with the general game when it comes to closing down and the ugly 50 50 side of the game.

Ade and Kane looked great together at the end of the season. We could finally have a partnership on our hands.

And if we have the right people crossing (not lennon and Townsend) we will have every aspect of the game sewn up from an attacking standpoint apart from sheer pace.

So whoever we sign IMO needs pace and prem experience to make up for the average pace of eriksen and Kane.

Very interested to see how poch goes with all this.

Back
Top Bottom