Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - 3rd May, 16:00.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He didn't play that badly today not at all in fact but I mean in general I just don't think think they are good enough simple as that, passing is shocking and If you wouldn't swap bentaleb for Fernandinho you must be stoned all about opinions though

Bentaleb and Mason are lightweight in midfield, they aren't as atrocious as Paulinho but no where near as good as some of midfielders we had in the past.We live on cloud 9 where we think we can ship one or two goals in every match and outscore our opponents.

And for everybody moaning about the performances of our guys, how many of City's counterparts actually played better than ours?

Were their fullbacks better? No.
Were their center backs better? No.
Was their central midfield better? No.
Their wingers? Maybe.
Their striker? By miles.
And their keeper had a very good game - probably deserves an assist for their only goal.

Overall, good effort.
Best one-goal game I've seen all year.

:coys:
Agree on Aguero, and would add David Silva. He is much better than anything we have got.

Thought we played well.
Thought we should have scored.

That Chadli cross to Lamela in the first few minutes that never made it ...
And so many blocks by their defense.

We had chances & so did they.
Agüero is a class above everybody else out there, to be honest.

And for everybody moaning about the performances of our guys, how many of City's counterparts actually played better than ours?

Were their fullbacks better? No.
Were their center backs better? No.
Was their central midfield better? No.
Their wingers? Maybe.
Their striker? By miles.
And their keeper had a very good game - probably deserves an assist for their only goal.

Overall, good effort.

Best one-goal game I've seen all year.

:coys:

I think you've just defined 'Spursy' perfectly!
Spursy
[Spur's-ee]
1. (of a person/club) not lucky; lacking good fortune; ill-fated.
2. (of an event or repeated circumstance) inauspicious or characterized by misfortune/lasagne/Roy Carroll/Bayern & Barca missing penalties; ominous.
3. having or marked by bad luck; years of mis-fortunate:
Well that was a fucking Spursy day.

He threw the kitchen sink at the end, what other forwards can you throw on, we are just in an awful position when it comes to forwards.

He made his bed 6 months ago....and I wasnt aware that:
more strikers on pitch = more goals

Especially when our preferred formation is with one up top

I think you've just defined 'Spursy' perfectly!
Spursy
1. (of a person/club) not lucky; lacking good fortune; ill-fated.
Well that was a fucking Spursy day.
How much of it is bad luck really?
The good chances we had ... Dier missed the target with a free header, Mason made a bad choice to blast it instead of lifting it over Hart, Kane tried to go round Hart instead of squaring to Chadli. None of that is luck.
9 out of 10 strikers would have finished across Hugo into the far corner, and Lloris was starting to move that way. So Aguero went the other way. That is not luck either.

I thought you were quitting?

Don't start bitching after that great effort.
pullmebackin.gif

My own ratings for today

Lloris - 6 sounds harsh but nearly cost us a goal early on when he missed the ball, and some poor distribution today.
Dier - 7.5 good all round.
Fazio - 7 some dodgy moments but good in general.
Verts - 7 pretty good.
Rose - 8 class seems to get better every game.
Mason - 6 need more from him also feel he is not a central midfielder but should be played further forward.
Bentaleb - 8 such a good player you just don't notice him anymore, everything looks easy.
Chadli - 6 great first half, disappeared for the second.
Eriksen - 4 very poor today, needs a rest I think, something seems very wrong with him.
Lamela - 7.5 still frustrating decision making but worked so hard and linked well mostly.
Kane - 5 maybe his worst performance this season. Unlike Burnley or Southampton where he had 3-4 men marking him and thus being quiet was understandable today he had more space and didn't use it so well.

Subs
Paulinho - 7 not a fan of this guy but quite good which shocked me somewhat.
Ade - 5 he touched the ball and fell over a few times.
Soldado - 5 pretty much the same as ade.

Frustrating one today. Thought it was our best performance in awhile but we just couldn't finish at all. Tough to pick out any real poor performances, thought we put in a real solid shift from front to back. City are a mature team and scored an opportunistic goal, it happens. Aguero is one of the world's best.

Dier, Bentaleb, Rose, and Lamela were our best for me. Special shout out to Lamela who I have been destroying recently. He finally combined his energy with a very solid offensive performance. Didn't hold onto the ball too long and got himself in excellent creative positions. Really needed to see a performance like that from him.

Nothing to fret about today from me. Another day and we probably get a win. Only thing I would say critically is that you look at our bench when we are trying to change a game and we bring one Soldado, Paulinho, and Adebayor. That's just not good enough. Need to make some shrewd acquisitions this summer and continue to successfully integrate our young players. Talent isn't all the way there yet.

Up the Spurs!

We always try and beat teams like City, Woolwich and United by playing better than them though, no way would we line up like Burnley or Palace ... 9 behind the ball hope to nick one on the break.

We played ok, we got beat though. Not clinical enough. The fact is we couldn't play to nick one on the break anyway because we failed to take several good chances to get something out of today.

Agree on Aguero, and would add David Silva. He is much better than anything we have got.

Of course he is. On the whole
I was just saying that on the pitch today Agüero outclassed us and that's why they won.
Silva's assist was pretty, but he had SO much room to thread that ball and otherwise I thought we kept him relatively quiet.

There are at least SOME positives that we can get out of this. Holding City to only a goal is definitely an improvement. Poch made early adjustments that actually improved our level of play, maybe he'll realize that early substitutions can help you win games and we'll see them more often. I thought Lamela played really well, so I'm somewhat surprised to see that people don't agree with that assessment. Eriksen needs someone behind him chomping at the bit to take his role in the 1st team. He was trash today.
For as much as I hate Paulinho, I'll admit that he did decently. He's probably one of our better substitutes (which is saying very little in the grand scheme of things) and it wouldn't surprise me if he starts next weekend.

Given how badly I wanted to finish above Liverpool I'm certainly disappointed, but we all knew that winning today was a long shot anyway.

thats whats great about football, it divides opinion. i too thought lamela was average again. he was ineffective & didnt do anything special in my eyes. not anything u wouldnt expect an average premiership player to do. he worked hard yes. but that should be a given. i thought he was brought for his flair? he showed very little of it. there are much better defensive midfielders we can get if thats what u are after. i think his defensive us a myth too. easy to get past. he cant tackle, normally fouls. & did u all miss the southampton game betrand had a field day because lamela couldnt be bothered tracking back.

thats whats great about football, it divides opinion. i too thought lamela was average again. he was uneffective & didnt do anything special in my eyes. not anything u wouldnt expect an average premiership player to do. he worked hard yes. but that should be a given. i thought he was brought for his flair? he showed very little of it. there are much better defensive midfielders we can get if thats what u are after. i think his defensive us a myth too. easy to get past. he cant tackle, normally fouls. & did u all miss the southampton game betrand had a field day because lamela couldnt be bothered tracking back.

His dead balls were good from what I remember.
The trouble with Lamela is I see a £28m price tag tied around his neck and I think he should be doing so much more.

bentaleb i really like. looks classy & will only get better. needs a better partner obviously. but i rate him really highly. rose has come on so much. he is a tough little nutter too.

thats whats great about football, it divides opinion. i too thought lamela was average again. he was ineffective & didnt do anything special in my eyes. not anything u wouldnt expect an average premiership player to do. he worked hard yes. but that should be a given. i thought he was brought for his flair? he showed very little of it. there are much better defensive midfielders we can get if thats what u are after. i think his defensive us a myth too. easy to get past. he cant tackle, normally fouls. & did u all miss the southampton game betrand had a field day because lamela couldnt be bothered tracking back.
Exactly. Reading peoples talk up Lamela's work rate while the £30m attacking winger is bollocks at banging out goals. They need to tune into the MLS where we have plenty of these type.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom