Tottenham Hotspur Vs Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with all of that except for the bit about the players lifting the fans. In the second half, the crowd were really getting behind the team and lifted the performance for me. Such a shame not to get the win as I thought everyone pulled together today and it could have been a REALLY positive day as opposed to a reasonably positive one. COYS.
I think it works both ways. The crowd today saw the boys working hard, trying to make something happen and so got behind them. The players then responded to this and lifted their game. It builds and builds, which is why I think a good atmosphere from kick off is so important.

It was electric at times today though, very exciting to be a part of.

agree with all the positive posters so will not bore anyone with duplicate post. What I will say is I think we have the best home fans in the league. It is a fucking joy to be in such great company. Thought Leicester fans were OK at home but takeaway their plastic happy flappy clappy things there would be silence. It will come, I have seen nothing to make me panic and I hope our new boys are the pace that we need, at least they should provide another dimension. The Lane was not a bad place to be last season, many said this was because of Kane braking through. Well we have some good lads coming through, lads that connect us again. I am not saying this is a team that will finish higher than last year, but I think this could be a side that we as fans can relate to and be more connected with. For those who stayed behind I am sure you must have felt this by the way the players applauded.
Dier I love you.
Our home fans are definitely better when more drunk...probably the same with all teams.

Some good performances today. Vertonghen in particular was immense, I thought. Dier continuing to do well in his new role. Good to see Rose back. I thought Mason should have been sitting back and Dembele playing further forward rather than the other way around. Understand why he did it because Dembele is good at linking play, but Mason is terrible in the final third. We'll be very lucky if him and Bentaleb get four goals between them this season, for all their good work in other areas.

Playing Bentaleb-Mason-Dier seemed too defensive for a home game but I suppose our only other realistic option was to play Delle Alli from the start and I can understand why Poch wouldn't want to do that at this stage.

COYS.

Just got back from the game after MANY train delays. My 2 penneth :

• Best atmos there in ages. I was in Block 33 and the songs were constant. Great support.
  • JV and Toby seem to be forming a good partnership
  • Rose was superb. Even when he got megged he chased back and won it
  • Please stop taking fucking short corners
  • Distribution to the centrebacks from a goal kick when they are in the full back positions makes no sense and is asking for trouble
  • Dier did well but isnt the answer in that position, we need someone who can stride forward with conviction and commit oppo players to stop them once in a while - hes a centreback by trade and does the defensive stuff brilliantly so his future should be in his natural position
  • Kane is fit, just needs help
  • Mason gives everything (one particular tackle sticks out in the memory) but lacks the pace / craft to be the later runner into the box that we need to help Kane out
  • I still hate inverted wingers
  • On another day we score one of those 3 chances in the first half and go on to win it, Everton didnt really create much
  • £2.70 Chick King still a complete winner
All in all theres positives but a lot of work still to do. Pace and width are needed, hopefully My Son and Clint give us this in the weeks to come.

Last edited:
Today I also enjoyed learning that that dirty bastard Naismith is Rangers' fans' Sol Campbell. Mouthy Glaswegian sat near me came out with choice stuff like "git ta fook ya Albino Judas cunt" every time he went near the ball

I went to the Spurs store today to splurge out with my £10 voucher from Daniel. It might be just me but I thought I saw South Koreans everywhere buying up loads of merchandise

:levywhoa:

Anyone killing Tottenham on today's result is an absolute Tit. Cohesive play vs a quality side and everything but that final product. A young squad which will improve and those goals will come. Plus a side that will only benefit from the recent player signings. Disappointed in only 3 points thru 4 games but gotta be optimistic this early with the current landscape. Love me my Spurs

Last edited:
if we can draw our remaining games and win the europa league we will possibly suffer the ignominy of being the first club to to qualify for the Champions league and get relegated.
On a positive note we will forever be known as the "almost invincibles"

Am still catching up on the thread as we got back late from the game last night and son has a footy tournament this morning.

Disappointing draw but a great game that we all thoroughly enjoyed. The atmosphere in the stadium was fantastic, even our boys were making up mocking chants for the opposition and singing at the tops of our voices. Nobody had a poor game, Rose was immense, shut down that left side for their attack every time. Chadli looked dangerous every time he got on the ball, Walker was solid, Jan back to his good self and loved Mason further up. Dembele was great until he got injured, I hope that's not it for him now...

To top it off, not only did the boys do the Chirpy parade at the beginning, but on the way home, we pulled up in motorway services for a coffee and my boy sees Bentaleb coming back out to the car right next to us! All 3 boys were suddenly wide awake and around him lol! He was an absolute sweetie with them, signed their shirts and boots and posed for photos, absolutely made their night! Will see if I can figure out how to post the pics when I get back later :)

Anyone killing Tottenham on today's result is an absolute Tit. Cohesive play vs a quality side and everything but that final product. A young squad which will improve and those goals will come. Plus a side that will only benefit from the recent player signings. Disappointed in only 3 points thru 4 games but gotta be optimistic this early with the current landscape. Love me my Spurs

My biggest hope is that we have some consistency over the next several years... Keep our young team and develop them, keep Poch who I really do think will come good etc.

One thing this year that is already a huge positive is our defence looks a lot more solid. People keep giving Poch crap about playing Dier at CDM because he doesn't offer enough in the midfield part of his role, but he got forward a lot yesterday and he's also been a crucial part of our defence being tighter. Also, I think for such a young lad that Dier is a pretty nasty bastard when he wants to be. I think we need players like that who can bring a physical side to their game, psychologically I think those players are a bit of a worry to the opposition.

I missed Eriksen yesterday though, I do think Eriksen is more creative than most of our midfield and could have helped get us the 3 points yesterday. I was probably least impressed with Chadli who looked to be looking for a goal himself and totally missed more than one chance to play Kane in while in dangerous areas... Usually a big Chadli fan, but perhaps by virtue of the whole team playing well he looked the worst on the pitch yesterday.

I didn't think much of the Alli sub, he really looked out of his depth yesterday and barely got into the game. Same with Pritchard though he came on too late to say.

The best game so far . Spurs played with tempo
which made the game far better on the eye.
This is a team that lacks game changers and
being being honest is bang average.
The weakness besides pace is not having creativity in
a deep central position in midfield . Somebody like
Cabaye (10 mill ) would have been perfect and cheap. Playing all rounders will never be enough
to compete for success .
Thank sweet Jesus it was watchable .

Last edited:
What clear cut chances did we have? What flowing moves was there? How many times did we rip them open at the back?

I will answer that for you......

None

Kane missed an absolute sitter and Mason missed two sitters off the top of my head.

Finishing was a big let down, but the performance had everything else it needed after the first half hour.

Internet went down for the first time in years just around the hours of the game. By the sounds of it we played rather well though, points wise a really shit start to the season still.

I think Son will bring us goals and movement right off the bat, while Clinton most probably will take some time to have an impact. Surely would have needed either of those two or a Pritchard in form for these first games anyway...

So you would rather someone who does 'something' (It is unclear what you mean by this) for 89 minutes other than score or assist?

What he is saying, and I totally agree, is that if Chadli doesnt score, basically he doesnt exist.
He will never lead our attack and change the game if we are struggling. He rides the wave if we are playing well, and dissapears when we are not.

Remember the shit fest at home to Stoke, 2-0 down and Chadli scpred that great volley. Then what does he do?
Runs to the fans lauding himself off and the entire East stand is screaming at him to get fucking back to the halfway line with the rest of the team.
Not the brightest spark.

What he is saying, and I totally agree, is that if Chadli doesnt score, basically he doesnt exist.
He will never lead our attack and change the game if we are struggling. He rides the wave if we are playing well, and dissapears when we are not.

Remember the shit fest at home to Stoke, 2-0 down and Chadli scpred that great volley. Then what does he do?
Runs to the fans lauding himself off and the entire East stand is screaming at him to get fucking back to the halfway line with the rest of the team.
Not the brightest spark.
I know that is not what he means however that is the choice we had, Townsend, Dembele, Lamela won't do anything in that role though. I guess in short what I am saying is that he is the best of a bad bunch, which I do not believe is an unfair assessment.

Assist vs Tblisi for the fourth goal of the game
Assist vs Tblisi for the fifth goal of the game
Goal vs Aston Villa, Spurs fourth goal of the game
Goal vs Anzi for the second goal of the game
Assist vs Sheriff for the second goal of the game (10 minutes after coming on)
Assist vs Sunderland for Spurs first goal of the game
Assist vs Southampton for Spurs third goal (which won the game 3-2)
Goal vs Benfica Spurs first goal of the game
Goal vs Benfica Spurs second goal of the game
Goal vs Newcastle Spurs fourth goal of the game
Assist vs Sunderland Spurs third goal of the game

Goal vs QPR first goal of the game
Goal vs QPR third goal of the game
Goal vs Sunderland first goal of the game
Goal vs Woolwich first goal of the game
Assist vs Southampton for the first goal of the game
Goal vs Villa first Spurs goal of the game
Goal vs Stoke first Spurs goal of the game
Goal vs Newcastle second Spurs goal (right after half time to calm nerves)
Assist vs Chelsea for Spurs fourth goal
Goal vs Chelsea fifth Spurs goal (solidify our lead)
Assist vs Crystal Palace for the first goal of the game
Assist vs Burnley for the first goal of the game
Goal vs Burnley first goal of the game
Assist vs Leicester for the first goal of the game
Goal vs Swansea First goal of the game
Goal vs Newcastle First goal of the game
Goal vs Southampton second Spurs goal (equaliser)
Goal vs Hull First goal of the game

Goal vs Stoke second goal of the game
Assist vs Leicester for the first goal of the game

^ the colours are there to resemble different seasons.
Totals: 19 goals, 12 assists = 31 goals scored or assisted in 81 games.

This is all of Chadli contributions in a Spurs shirt, he has scored or assisted the first goal 16 times in 81 games. I think to dismiss Chaldi's contribution is foolish and irrelevant considering we have much more pressing concerns than whether or not to play Chadli. By all means lets question his position when the right side is producing but it simply not, thus we shouldn't focus on Chadli just yet! Also notice the improvement between his first and second season, as with the rest of the team he can improve year on year. I also fully believe that with pace on the right opposition defences can be stretched providing room not just for Kane but for Chadli and Eriksen also.

Not the brightest spark.

Tend to agree, he is a Dempsey type player, gets goals and not much else.

I am ok with one of them in the starting line up but remember last season when we had Chaldi and Townsend on each wing, two players not tracking back or linking well, it was awful to watch.

I would put Chadli, Eriksen and Townsend in a group of players who have a tendency to go missing in games. Not so Lamela he works hard just fucks up a lot.

That's why I like Dembele, Mason etc on the pitch and only one of the previous group at any one time because if we have too many of the missing type players we lose control of the game.

I felt yesterday we had a good balance other than lack of pace which Son and Clinton should provide.

Back
Top Bottom