Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, based on the stats located under our avatars, someone who posts more than you.

I'll be honest, I don't like you. You're a relatively new poster that offers next to nothing and acts like an asshole most of the time. You're like an annoying, unfunny kid brother. Therefore I feel the need to be a cunt towards you until you stop.
What a strange man you are. I would up your game a bit if that's the case. Currently you are less cuntish and more like a vaguely annoying puppy.

They find the moaning annoying because as fans we should be looking for things to love and enjoy about our club, not looking for the negatives. The problem with the serial moaners is it doesn't matter what we do, they will find the negative.

If that's how supporting spurs makes people feel they should find a new hobby because being a fan of a football club is a choice. And it's a choice that should bring you joy, not misery.
lets agree to disagree. i dont find moaning about moaners interesting & a good read like u do.
moaning is moaning, whether u are moaning at a moaner or just moaning.

& most fans i know see there football teams as those who bring joy & misery. its part of being a fan.
& most teams bring a lot more misery!

all that misery u endure makes the small amount of joy even more special!

next u will be slating fans who cry when they get relegated. would u tell them to stop supporting that club because they cried & moaned when they got relegated?
go pick a new team who will bring u more joy.
u seem to like the glory supporter model.

Last edited:
lets agree to disagree. i dont find moaning about moaners interesting & a good read like u do.
moaning is moaning, whether u are moaning at a moaner or just moaning.

& most fans i know see there football teams as those who bring joy & misery. its part of being a fan.
& most teams bring a lot more misery!

all that misery u endure makes the small amount of joy even more special!

next u will be slating fans who cry when they get relegated. would u tell them to stop supporting that club because they cried & moaned when they got relegated?
go pick a new team who will bring u more joy.
u seem to like the glory supporter model.

Of course. I hunt glory. Therefore I support a team who haven't won a major honour in my lifetime. Makes sense.

If you read my posts I spend most of my time talking about the game and the players. Occasionally discussing the owners and board when others bring it up. You on the hand rarely post anything off your own back about a game, player or tactic.

We aren't a relegated team and if we were I for one would be rather upset. But frankly I don't care for the constant bitching about levy and enic. It's boring.

Also, stop moaning about people moaning about moaners you hypocritical cunt.

Of course. I hunt glory. Therefore I support a team who haven't won a major honour in my lifetime. Makes sense.

If you read my posts I spend most of my time talking about the game and the players. Occasionally discussing the owners and board when others bring it up. You on the hand rarely post anything off your own back about a game, player or tactic.

We aren't a relegated team and if we were I for one would be rather upset. But frankly I don't care for the constant bitching about levy and enic. It's boring.

Also, stop moaning about people moaning about moaners you hypocritical cunt.
the difference is i havent told people what they can & cant post. i am just pointing out its just as boring to hear u lot moan about moaners. i am sure its even more boring hearing me moan about people who are moaning about moaners.
but i havent said stop posting this & that. & i havent told people what they can & cant post.
i am just pointing out its as boring hearing u lot moan too.
but u still wont accept that.

& i never said u were a glory supporter if u actually read my post. stop making up stuff so u can then go on a rant.

i said u seem to like the glory supporter model. u only want joy & think u have a choice in which club u support.

lets leave it at that.

no point us going back & forth.

carrying on moaning about moaners. its such a good read. not boring like u say they are.

right. i am a bit behind on the match.
2nd half about to start. please dont reboot bt box!

Last edited:
I was critical of the decision to play him at defensive midfield at the start of the season and the indecision to not buy a DCM. The way Dier at the moment is playing it makes sense.

McCarthy and Cabaye both lost the midfield vs Dier. Promising stuff..

I wonder what Poch will do should Dier need a rest or get injured. Will he go back to a more attack minded central midfield, or put another of the central defenders in midfield? I think Alderweireld has played there before. We certainly look more solid With Dier protecting the defense.

Yet another 'Scouser' ex-pro offering typically brain dead opinion. Perhaps if he realised Eriksen has been injured for about a month, along with Dier being half decent at DM. He wouldn't have spoken so soon. What is it with BT (Sky/Beeb) and their ex-Scouse love? Owen (personality of a wet lettuce), Hutchinson, McManaman and James to name a few. These so called commentators should really do some research.

Dier schooled in Portugal, probably where there is more of an emphasis on education, intelligence and technique. I for one am glad he is proving to be quite the astute signing and he's still young as well.

Midfield of Dier-Mason-Alli. Young. English. Talented.
394.gif

It does give me joy to watch English players do well in the team. On an average team out, we will have Walker, Rose, Dier, Alli, Mason and Kane. For a total of 15 million or lesser. For talented English players!!!

The press should be worshipping us and Poch for what clearly is the core of the next English team. They would be rimming LVG's ass if United started with more than 3 English youngsters. Bloody hypocrites!

After Hugo, possibly our most valuable player this season? If not, you could certainly make a strong argument for him
Definitely, absolute breath of fresh air in that midfield-no coincidence that Jan and Toby are far more comfortable now that Dier has made that position his own and improves every single game:)

Player Focus: Is Dier the Answer or a Temporary Solution in Spurs Midfield?

As the transfer window neared its conclusion earlier this month, Tottenham fans were hopeful new faces would arrive. A striker and a central midfielder were perhaps the priorities, with the former perhaps less so following the big money arrival of Heung-min Son. In hindsight, for now at least, the latter needn’t have been too much of a concern either.

Dele Alli’s performances in the middle of the park have seen him quickly endear himself to supporters, with the former MK Dons star looking everything fans hoped Paulinho would be and more. A hugely impressive showing against Crystal Palace on Sunday went a long way to cementing a regular first team berth, even when Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb return to fitness.

It’s Alli’s midfield partner at the weekend, though, who may well prove harder to displace in the starting line-up this season. Eric Dier was first used in the role in pre-season by Mauricio Pochettino and while he initially looked out of his depth in midfield, the 21-year-old has grown into the position as he aims to consolidate his place in the side. Of all Spurs players to make at least two league starts this season, only Jan Vertonghen (7.34) has gained a better WhoScored rating than Dier (7.32). Despite performing in a somewhat unfamiliar role, the young Englishman has impressed in front of the back four.

It’s no coincidence that with Dier as the deepest lying midfielder, only current title favourites Manchester City (2) have conceded fewer goals than Spurs (4) in the Premier League this term. The youngster has performed the necessary defensive duties required of him, with a tally of 25 tackles the best of all Spurs players and enough to rank fifth in England’s top tier. Since Sandro’s injury sustained in 2013, Spurs have lacked a natural holder to protect the defence, and Dier’s positional discipline arguably stands him in better stead than the Brazilian.

Of course, midfield is not a role that is completely alien to the player. Dier played in the middle of the park a handful of times during his spell at Sporting, though failed to really convince in the position, including once in a derby encounter with Benfica where he was shown up by opposite number Nemanja Matic. With a lack of options, though, Pochettino was forced into fielding Dier in midfield. As a short term solution, he has certainly performed above expectations. He has gradually improved as the season has worn on, though Dier's form in the midfield could yet end up hindering his growth as a player.

To the uninitiated, Dier is first and foremost a centre-back. He played in this position on numerous occasions last season alongside Jan Vertonghen, though the subsequent arrival of Toby Alderweireld meant his playing time at the heart of the backline was always going to be limited. Yet Dier is a player who warrants regular first team action, of that there is no doubt. He showed enough last term to suggest he is well on his way to realising his potential. Given Pochettino’s favouritism towards younger players - the starting XI’s average age of 24 years and 118 days against Palace was the youngest in the Premier League this season - this will benefit Dier.

However, he, among others, feels his long-term future is not in the midfield. Last season Dier rejected a call up to the England U21 squad as he wanted to continue his development at centre-back with his club. At such a young age, also, his poor concentration - a WhoScored weakness of his - is an area that needs improvement if he is to flourish. A case in point came in Spurs’ 3-1 Europa League win over FC Karabakh last Thursday. In the build up to Richard Almeida’s penalty, the Azerbaijani side instigated a swift counter attack, of which Dier broke rank to cut out before the move manifested into something more dangerous. His inexperience, though, meant his recklessness was capitalised upon, culminating in Kieran Tripper body-checking Ansi Agolli in the 18-yard box.

The mental side of his game can be worked on in time, but against the Premier League’s better midfields, Dier’s at times poor concentration could be highlighted. Against Manchester City this coming weekend, the England hopeful is expected to come up against Kevin De Bruyne, Yaya Toure and - if he recovers in time - David Silva, which, despite Spurs’ recent good form, will be a huge test of the team, and not least Dier's credentials.

Nevertheless a pass success rate of 87.3% and an average of 50 passes per game - both among the better returns for Spurs - shows he’s performing the duties expected of him, which, for the time being, is aiding the North London side's attempts to haul themselves up the Premier League table. However, Dier’s deployment in midfield can perhaps be seen as temporary solution to a permanent problem, without taking anything away from the defender, who has indeed impressed in the middle of the park up until this point.

Back
Top Bottom