THE MIGHTY SPURS v Colchester United FC (AWAY) - 30/01 - FA Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing about drawing one of the other top clubs in the next round is that is makes it more likely for two of the weaker clubs to draw each other, essentially guaranteeing one of those a place in the QF.
Should we win, this gives us potentially easier draws in the later rounds.
Well, surely that's just swapping around the round you face the tougher club in then?

I don't think our team fears anyone. Obviously the title is the big one, but CL qualification and the FA cup? Ha ha. We'd have been laughed out of court 6 months ago for suggesting it. Good times.

Bazali Bazali no matter how many times you click 'disagree' on my posts - it doesn't improve your chances of sleeping with Tommy C.
CVtvjP9UwAAj-U2.jpg

Maybe the forum should do this. Clear the air.

Well, surely that's just swapping around the round you face the tougher club in then?
Yes but I'm guessing in most cases it feels much more gutting getting knocked out in the later stages or even losing in the final. If man city knock us out in the first few rounds I think most of us would be over it relatively quickly. But the bonus is if we beat them, the field ahead of us has 'easier' teams.

Reading tha last few pages, I understant the reasoning behind wanting to avoid some teams but its all abit cowardly. Wanting to play the small clubs to have an easy progression is wrong. Its the same as what the Chaves and City are doing trying to buy all the top players to piss the PL/CL etc - its all unfair - . Lets not start picking and choosing who we want to play rather look forward to playing anyone , anywhere and take em on. COYS...
Have you looked at the fixture list? Unlike the 3rd & 4th round there is no premiership match in midweek. However we play away in Italy in the Europa league on the Thursday before and away on the Thursday after. Therefore the teams not in Europe and even those in the CL have us at a disadvantage. We therefore need an easy draw or will probably go out of one of the competitions as our strongest team cannot play all 3 matches.

i'd like to get Shrewsbury.

I'd like, with respect, the easiest route possible to winning the final. I bet the scum fans weren't sitting there after beating Hull or Villa and lamenting the fact they hadn't beaten one of the big teams (hmm, just remembered two seasons ago they beat ourselves and Liverpool en route so discard that and focus on last season.

I see therealITK has been consigned to the sinbin.
I need to ask you guys who were responsible why that should be the case?
Ok, he presents an opinion contrary to the party line but isn't what's needed to promulgate debate?
Pain in the the proverbial maybe, if so put him on ignore but to suppress opinion is not healthy.

I see therealITK has been consigned to the sinbin.
I need to ask you guys who were responsible why that should be the case?
Ok, he presents an opinion contrary to the party line but isn't what's needed to promulgate debate?
Pain in the the proverbial maybe, if so put him on ignore but to suppress opinion is not healthy.

He's not a Spurs fan Hibs. I think that's obvious. This isn't politics.

The bonus about getting a big team earlier as jimmyriggle jimmyriggle mentioned would also be the chance to play them at home. Give me Man City at home followed by a weaker team at Wembley any day than the other way around.

Really

I'd rather go out to the FA cup winner in the fifth round
than lose to them in a Wembley final.

beat what gets in front of you - no matter who they are, its a cup now - all of them..............

get up for it and progress, or die trying.

Reading tha last few pages, I understant the reasoning behind wanting to avoid some teams but its all abit cowardly. Wanting to play the small clubs to have an easy progression is wrong. Its the same as what the Chaves and City are doing trying to buy all the top players to piss the PL/CL etc - its all unfair - . Lets not start picking and choosing who we want to play rather look forward to playing anyone , anywhere and take em on. COYS...

On our day I think we can beat anyone in a cup final. It's just about negotiating it there with minimal injuries and effort.

But can we beat anyone in a 5th round tie, where we've played 5 games in 14 games? Due to the sheer number of games and the need to rotate, I don't think we can.

I wouldn't call wanting to get the luck of a draw "unfair" either.

Have you looked at the fixture list? Unlike the 3rd & 4th round there is no premiership match in midweek. However we play away in Italy in the Europa league on the Thursday before and away on the Thursday after. Therefore the teams not in Europe and even those in the CL have us at a disadvantage. We therefore need an easy draw or will probably go out of one of the competitions as our strongest team cannot play all 3 matches.
I welcome an easy home draw and will be a little disappointed in an away draw against City for example. I am condemning the comments which want an easy draw because if it doesn't happen it creates disappointment. Lets just see and enjoy whoever we get regardless of fixtures.
We cant pick and choose our games. If we want to be the best, we need to compete at all levels, whoever we play.

On our day I think we can beat anyone in a cup final. It's just about negotiating it there with minimal injuries and effort.

But can we beat anyone in a 5th round tie, where we've played 5 games in 14 games? Due to the sheer number of games and the need to rotate, I don't think we can.

I wouldn't call wanting to get the luck of a draw "unfair" either.
Want and luck of the draw are different . I agree with whoever we get. I would not want certain teams and show disappointment with others. We get who we get.

Back
Top Bottom