Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He didn't "storm right back into the side" though did he?

he was poor in his first game back (like Benteleb),then made a 10 minute cameo appearance...and has now played a good game.
zLSueZw.gif

I personally love the little rat faced rapscallion.
He definitely gets more leeway from fans having come through the academy. But I think that we have a bunch of players who maybe don't stand up to purely individual scrutiny, yet their importance to how the team as a whole plays is significant.

I absolutely love Mason as a personality. But having seen him play a fair bit, I have to hold my hands up and say I still have no idea whether he's actually good or not.

Mason is one of those squad players who when he gets a run of games surprises you. Thought he was excellent yesterday.
Man Utd were full of them squad players you could rely on when they were dominated teams. Mason come through the ranks, knows the philosophy and is a good squad player to have around. I don't think he should be starting unless we have injuries or need to rotate but squad player he's fine.

What do you expect? Do you think it's realistic to have world class players throughout the squad, even on the bench? Starting Mason in an EL game when Dembele is injured is not a Daniel Levy decision, it's completely warranted
I don't rate Mason - do you have a problem with that? Is your best response 'fuck off' lately to anyone who shares a different opinion to yours? Are you 11? Are we meant to rate all our players? Do you think Mason is world-class?

Last edited:
I think a key point to remember here is that Mason has only ever had 1 full season with us. He's almost in a similar position to Son/Wimmer in that sense, due to his long injuries this year. We all know that a player massively improves from their 1st to their 2nd season and we've yet to see Mason reach his peak or top form.

Having seen his volley today, which was technically perfect, and having seen his goal and looking at his youth scoring record, I have to wonder how good he can actually be. I think his potential is a lot higher than most give him credit for and some are quick to forget last year. The amount of interceptions he made last year was incredibly high and his tackle rate was also very high; he was one of our best players.

He offers an awful lot of attacking runs and threat to our team when he plays, more so than Dembele or Bentaleb or any other CM we have. He's almost an extra attacking midfielder, works incredibly hard, goes in hard when tackling and has huge passion for the club.

I don't think Mason is a squad player, and I don't think that phrase should be used for this team anymore. 3 of the best defenders in the league are on our team and are "squad players". The word has no meaning.

Took his finish excellently last night. Opened his body up and put it out of reach. An instinctive strikers finish.

Play the boy further up perhaps?

Took his finish excellently last night. Opened his body up and put it out of reach. An instinctive strikers finish.

Play the boy further up perhaps?

His more natural position is in the 10 role, he also hit double figures when playing in the reserves a few seasons back. He got a bad injury which slowed his progress. WindyCOYS WindyCOYS could tell you more.

I don't rate Mason - do you have a problem with that? Is your best response 'fuck off' lately to anyone who shares a different opinion to yours? Are you 11? Are we meant to rate all our players? Do you think Mason is world-class?
There is a vast gulf between world-class and average.

Back
Top Bottom