Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the early days he was awful and showed the traits of an apprentice who we had just paid £30m for. He drove forward only to hesitate not knowing what to do and often made the wrong decision. Four years later he's progressed to being at best average. Average doesn't cut it when your striving to be no.1. The team now needs a player to take our established play to the next level, Lamela isn't equipped to do it.

I question if you have even watched a game with Lamela involved? :dembelefingers:

Fmh93nk.jpg

In the early days he was awful and showed the traits of an apprentice who we had just paid £30m for. He drove forward only to hesitate not knowing what to do and often made the wrong decision. Four years later he's progressed to being at best average. Average doesn't cut it when your striving to be no.1. The team now needs a player to take our established play to the next level, Lamela isn't equipped to do it.
The earlier days he was poor I agree but he did improve and we benefitted from it. The team was struggling to establish itself and a way to play. He played his game and that help us along. Now , almost two season later we are have progressed and are a very good side and we have achieved that without him. He has now the luxury to show us all, what he can offer conning into a good team.

When fit I'd have Lamela alongside Eriksen and Dele with Kane up top.

With our need for a pacy forward I really do see this season once he's back as a big one regarding his future with us.

When we first got him I honestly thought he'd go on to be the next Ronaldo. It would be great to see him fulfill his potential. Add parts of Mahrez's game to him which I do think he's capable of and he'd become one of the most important parts of the team.

Great defensively but I want to see more from his attacking side. Double digits in goals or assists per season is the least he should be delivering

The earlier days he was poor I agree but he did improve and we benefitted from it. The team was struggling to establish itself and a way to play. He played his game and that help us along. Now , almost two season later we are have progressed and are a very good side and we have achieved that without him. He has now the luxury to show us all, what he can offer conning into a good team.

You are right we have progressed and become a better team without him. I doubt if he has double digits in PL goals in the four seasons he's been here. I think he is "conning" you if you believe we have benefitted with him in the team!

When fit I'd have Lamela alongside Eriksen and Dele with Kane up top.

With our need for a pacy forward I really do see this season once he's back as a big one regarding his future with us.

When we first got him I honestly thought he'd go on to be the next Ronaldo. It would be great to see him fulfill his potential. Add parts of Mahrez's game to him which I do think he's capable of and he'd become one of the most important parts of the team.

Great defensively but I want to see more from his attacking side. Double digits in goals or assists per season is the least he should be delivering

2015/2016 when we had a fighting fit Lamela, he managed double digit goals AND assists. That was when he was at his best for us and that's not to mention the amount of chances we squandered. Lamela creates more chances then anyone I've seen in a Spurs shirt.

Last year he only played 11 games, scored 3 goals and got 6 assists. It's likely he would have done the exact same.

He's an incredible asset to the team.

You are right we have progressed and become a better team without him. I doubt if he has double digits in PL goals in the four seasons he's been here. I think he is "conning" you if you believe we have benefitted with him in the team!
The dude has scored 8 PL goals for us since joining, had he not been injured last season he would likely be between 15 and 20 at this point. He's scored 19 goals for us in all competitions but that's not his main contribution. He is much more important as a assist provider, he has provided us with 31 assists of which 18 have been in the league and the rest distributed evenly between CL, EL and the cups.

Lamela is one of our most important offensive engines and also brings along strong defensive work.

Somehow I expect that you will ignore all this because you seem to have a set anti-Lamela gimmick.

Weird that people criticise Lamela for not scoring or assisting enough (despite these myths being debunked with him assisting or scoring a reasonable amount for the time he plays) yet Dembele gets a free pass from fans not scoring or assisting enough..

Weird that people criticise Lamela for not scoring or assisting enough (despite these myths being debunked with him assisting or scoring a reasonable amount for the time he plays) yet Dembele gets a free pass from fans not scoring or assisting enough..
Because Dembele plays deeper than Lamela and his skillset is so unique that he adds an extra bit of protection in the midfield so that players like Lamela can score and assist more?

Comparing Lamela versus the rest of our attackers like Son, Eriksen, Dele makes sense in terms of goals/assists. Sissoko gets slaughtered more because he's done significantly less than Lamela.

Strange how Lamela polarises people. Quite a few seem to have an irrational hatred of him (unless they are the same person with multis)

The dude has scored 8 PL goals for us since joining, had he not been injured last season he would likely be between 15 and 20 at this point. He's scored 19 goals for us in all competitions but that's not his main contribution. He is much more important as a assist provider, he has provided us with 31 assists of which 18 have been in the league and the rest distributed evenly between CL, EL and the cups.

Lamela is one of our most important offensive engines and also brings along strong defensive work.

Somehow I expect that you will ignore all this because you seem to have a set anti-Lamela gimmick.

Lamela started our CL demise last season due to his inability to take control of the football, the same lack of ball control that sees him frequently running back and defending because he's given the ball away again. Pointless.
If he ever becomes able to change & influence matches when it matters your points might have a degree of latitude. I won't be holding my breath though, having watched him being ridiculed against a league 2 team. Lol.

I understand why you feel about him the way you do just, we are two years on.
Horse's for courses. Every player played thier part to get us where we we are now. We are a decent side now with an establish way/s to play. We may get a very good Lamela far removed from the Lamela of old. Hopefully hes fit and grown up a little. If you remove the possibility that a player can get better, then theres no hooe for any young or old player.

Lamela started our CL demise last season due to his inability to take control of the football, the same lack of ball control that sees him frequently running back and defending because he's given the ball away again. Pointless.
If he ever becomes able to change & influence matches when it matters your points might have a degree of latitude. I won't be holding my breath though, having watched him being ridiculed against a league 2 team. Lol.
Now you are just making stuff up. Lamela was out injured after our second CL game. Injuries and a thin squad caused us to fail in the CL. Not Erik Lamela.

Because Dembele plays deeper than Lamela and his skillset is so unique that he adds an extra bit of protection in the midfield so that players like Lamela can score and assist more?

Comparing Lamela versus the rest of our attackers like Son, Eriksen, Dele makes sense in terms of goals/assists. Sissoko gets slaughtered more because he's done significantly less than Lamela.

But Lamela IS different to the rest of our attackers. He's a creator. He CREATES. Like I said, he's the best footballer I've seen in my lifetime at Spurs at creating chances. He gets a shit load more assists than the likes of Son and Alli - but they score more, because they're goalscorers.

Dembele gets a free ride for his goals and assists ratio because he's a central midfielder. Yet many other central midfielders who are supposedly 'inferior' to him because they can't dribble as well as he can, manage to do alot more. I love Dembele and he's one of my favourite footballers to watch, but he practically brings nothing to the table besides the odd gasp of excitement when he beats a man.

Sissoko gets a rough ride because of his transfer fee. The same as Lamela funnily enough and nothing to do with their ability.

I understand why you feel about him the way you do just, we are two years on.
Horse's for courses. Every player played thier part to get us where we we are now. We are a decent side now with an establish way/s to play. We may get a very good Lamela far removed from the Lamela of old. Hopefully hes fit and grown up a little. If you remove the possibility that a player can get better, then theres no hooe for any young or old player.

I don't see in Lamela a player with an efficient grasp of rudimentary skills, good option choosing and an authority in possession to make the opposition worry. Too much of his play isn't up to the required level to pose a serious threat to good teams.

Erik was pretty much the only player to keep their head season before last when we imploded. Shame he didn't get to build on that last season due to injury. Who knows what he'll be like when he gets back to action.

Back
Top Bottom