Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lamela is a player with bags of ability and natural talent. I'm convinced he'll be a star and I just hope, like Bale or Townsend (early doors admittedly), it's whilst he's with us that he starts to flourish.

He's a strange one, I'll tell you that.
I still don't know what kind of player he is supposed to be for us (ignoring the fact of how played at 'Lazio')
:baletroll:

In the beginning, he again looked like his past himself in the lily-white.
A little lost, didn't know what to do, too many back passes, etc etc..

There wasn't much link up of Lamela with any player, not even Walker imo. It feels like our other players still don't know what he is capable of, which is quite understanding. And thus, he didn't get much of the ball.

Plus, as someone else pointed out, he often loses the ball in the attacking third (whether it was a wayward pass or dispossession). Defoe too didn't help his game much. At Roma, I believe his best link up was with the striker (Totti), so hopefully he rather gets 90 mins with Soldado in the future.

As the game progressed, I did notice that he did become much better. This definitely was a plus sign, as it shows he just needs to get used to playing for a while to get his better performance.

His best moments in the game came from 2 things. The first is when we counter attack, (which makes sense given he is not used to the tight defenses in the PL as compared to Serie A). And the second is that he looked much better centrally. Whether it was when he was cutting in, or just when he switched positions with a central player, I felt that he was linking up much better with his teammates, centrally.

I always felt his best position is RW and I kinda still do, but it is sure worth trying: 'Left winger' - Lamela - Townsend

Overall, I believe he had a similar performance as most of his other games. His best being, against Aston Villa. But there were much more positives than negatives in this game. My main criticism as always is that he doesn't shoot too often. He has a killer curve ball. But this should improve as he gets more comfortable.

The penalty miss also didn't do good for him, but it was pleasing to see, throughout the game, that our other players seem to be supportive to him. He stills looks low on confidence, and there's probably gonna be more times when he's gonna fall down yet again.

But he's young ... he's just gonna have to pick himself up, and HOPEFULLY when he does so, he'll prove many of us doubting fans wrong (as Bale had done today). It's probably gonna be a little longer, but as long as AVB and the players have patience, it's best for us also to be calm and hope for the best.

Last edited:
He's a strange one, I'll tell you that.
I still don't know what kind of player he is supposed to be for us (ignoring the fact of how played at 'Lazio')
:baletroll:

In the beginning, he again looked like his past himself in the lily-white.
A little lost, didn't know what to do, too many back passes, etc etc..

There wasn't much link up of Lamela with any player, not even Walker imo. It feels like our other players still don't know what he is capable of, which is quite understanding. And thus, he didn't get much of the ball.

Plus, as someone else pointed out, he often loses the ball in the attacking third (whether it was a wayward pass or dispossession). Defoe too didn't help his game much. At Roma, I believe his best link up was with the striker (Totti), so hopefully he rather gets 90 mins with Soldado in the future.

As the game progressed, I did notice that he did become much better. This definitely was a plus sign, as it shows he just needs to get used to playing for a while to get his better performance.

His best moments in the game came from 2 things. The first is when we counter attack, (which makes sense given he is not used to the tight defenses in the PL as compared to Serie A). And the second is that he looked much better centrally. Whether it was when he was cutting in, or just when he switched positions with a central player, I felt that he was linking up much better with his teammates, centrally.

I always felt his best position is RW and I kinda still do, but it is sure worth trying: 'Left winger' - Lamela - Townsend

Overall, I believe he had a similar performance as most of his other games. His best being, against Aston Villa. But there were much more positives than negatives in this game. The penalty miss also didn't do good for him, but it was pleasing to see, throughout the game, that our other players seem to be supportive to him. He stills looks low on confidence, and there's probably gonna be more times when he's gonna fall down yet again.

But he's young ... he's just gonna have to pick himself up, and HOPEFULLY when he does so, he'll prove many of us doubting fans wrong (as Bale had done today). It's probably gonna be a little longer, but as long as AVB and the players have patience, it's best for us also to be calm and hope for the best.
Wouldn't mind seeing him played behind Soldado on Sunday with Sigurdsson on the left. Eriksen has been quiet lately and Holtby has been okay (didn't see the whole of the Hull game on Sunday).

So unfortunate he missed that penalty, as I thought this was his best game for us yet. Got his head up more and MOVED THE BALL FORWARD, something it seems our side no matter the players are reluctant to do. Thought the crowd reaction to his well saved late free kick was great, probably the best display of support from the club's fans he's received yet.

Hopefully he can take the positives from what was overall a good day and build upon them.

Started to see more of the old Lamela today. Asking for the ball, making runs, cutting inside, taking on players, good stuff.

The one thing he needs to realise very quickly though is that you dont play a one-two with Jermain Defoe.

There is no 'two' with Defoe.

Started to see more of the old Lamela today. Asking for the ball, making runs, cutting inside, taking on players, good stuff.

The one thing he needs to realise very quickly though is that you dont play a one-two with Jermain Defoe.

There is no 'two' with Defoe.

Well said. The infuriating part about Defoe today was that I don't recall him dishing out a single pass after Kane's goal. He was so hellbent on being the hero he began pissing balls away. So frustrating.

So unfortunate he missed that penalty, as I thought this was his best game for us yet. Got his head up more and MOVED THE BALL FORWARD, something it seems our side no matter the players are reluctant to do. Thought the crowd reaction to his well saved late free kick was great, probably the best display of support from the club's fans he's received yet.

Hopefully he can take the positives from what was overall a good day and build upon them.

Really? What did the crowd chant for Lamela and was it really noticeable? It's just I'm a huge fan of Lamela and really feel he will be a superb player for us but can't help but feel so sorry for the kid right now. Nothing is going right for him. I didn't actually catch the game apart from football league show but take it Lamela had a good game?

Really? What did the crowd chant for Lamela and was it really noticeable? It's just I'm a huge fan of Lamela and really feel he will be a superb player for us but can't help but feel so sorry for the kid right now. Nothing is going right for him. I didn't actually catch the game apart from football league show but take it Lamela had a good game?

Thought he played quite well. And it wasn't a chant I was speaking of, it was a resounding disappointed sigh reflecting the quality of the shot that was saved. By far the most audible support for anything he's done yet. It's too bad his assist against Cardiff was away.

Songs for Lamela:

1) Erik Lamela to the tune of Hava Nagila (I thought of this but have seen people shot down when suggesting singing it as is - Jewish connection being overplayed? Whatever - song works great)
2) Ohhh, Erik Lamela to the tune of the riff from Seven Nation Army - meh,
3) Everywhere You Go, You Always Take Lamela With You. Fucking. Brilliant. I will give vicious oral to whoever came up with that.

As far as his performance today...he did good. Got forward and broke through the opposition lines but Hull were good at preventing clear shots on goal and Lamela was as guilty as anyone of taking one pass too many inside the box - hardly alone on that count, though.

Hope the penalty miss doesn't hurt his confidence - he's a great player and we saw a bit of that today. And fuck it - THAT song should keep him at the club FOREVER.

...Woburn here - that's Woburn, MA, USA, m'fers...sorry for the delay - my hometown Boston RED SOX just won the World Series...again...for the 3rd time in a decade...maybe Spurs can learn a little bit from the Sox in regard to fans' home support...but that doesn't include tea-bagging struggling big-time signings - 'Lame'-ela is the Edgar Renteria ('Rent-a-Wreck') of Tottenham...if he sucks, cut him loose - at least keep him off the pitch for important games until he proves his worth - don't suck him off (e.g. '...I'm a huge fan of Lamela and really feel he will be a superb player for us but can't help but feel so sorry for the kid right now...') - as a Yid that seriously offends me...if a player sucks, call him out on it...and don't slate a guy 'cuz he doesn't have the cachet of a high price tag (e.g. Siggy) - stop looking at the paycheck and look at the performance on the field...
COYS
P.S. F the gooners...

Back
Top Bottom