\0/\0/ Poland Vs England - Weds 8th Sept KO 8pm \0/\0/

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Give him a call, he probably dreams of the day that you do.
what the fuck GIF

Exactly.... BUT..... Perhaps 2nd or even 1st gear might have got the job done.

Without a win to go with it, "we didn't even get out of 3rd gear" is not something to praise.

Too many times we beat a man and then stopped or span back round and tried to beat the same man again. Sterling & Grealish blind to Kane..... Serious lack of potency and urgency.

I'm fucked off.

Well we didn't play well, but I still think we did enough to win. We were a minute or so away from doing so. We're far from the finished article but that's what's exciting about this England team. We've now made a semi-final and a final in the last two years and yet I still think there's an absolute ton more to come from us as an attacking unit. Whether Southgate is the right bloke to bring that out is another question. But this England team and squad has a lot of potential.

Reflecting on a somewhat inglorious performance, I think we were set up to do no more than we did. The aim seemed to be just to spend 90 minutes soaking up whatever Poland did and hope for an opening. Maybe it was a deliberate training exercise. It almost came off. Both teams were just very keen not to lose. Dull as hell from us given the talent on display. A football match is no longer a piece of entertainment in itself - certainly not with this manager.

Reflecting on a somewhat inglorious performance, I think we were set up to do no more than we did. The aim seemed to be just to spend 90 minutes soaking up whatever Poland did and hope for an opening. Maybe it was a deliberate training exercise. It almost came off. Both teams were just very keen not to lose. Dull as hell from us given the talent on display. A football match is no longer a piece of entertainment in itself - certainly not with this manager.

Bit harsh. We were a couple of minutes away from saying its another very professional and decent performance. We were always going to be better in the second half than the first and we were exactly that up until the last few minutes. I definitely agree that we can be much better going forward with the players we have. But all the best teams start at the back and Southgate has made us one of the hardest teams to beat in world football right now. Not even this excellent Italy side that's breaking records could do it over 120 minutes.

We didn't play well tonight really but we're still dissapointed to only draw the game. I think that's a good sign all in all.

Well we didn't play well, but I still think we did enough to win. We were a minute or so away from doing so. We're far from the finished article but that's what's exciting about this England team.

Nah... That's what's frustrating.

Gary is our Ole..... He's our ceiling.

We've now made a semi-final and a final in the last two years and yet I still think there's an absolute ton more to come from us as an attacking unit. Whether Southgate is the right bloke to bring that out is another question.

Well that certainly is the question if we're in 3rd gear, yet Gary has made no subs and we end up pissing 2 points away.

- Why didn't he force the issue?
- Why didn't he make subs to ENSURE we saw the game out?

But this England team and squad has a lot of potential.

In spades.... That's not in question. But we ain't clicking.... There's no relationship with Kane and there's too much mindless dribbling into nowhere. Once again there was moaning about Kane wandering all over the pitch.... The best way to deter that? Fucking get him involved..... Pass to him and move.

Well that certainly is the question if we're in 3rd gear, yet Gary has made no subs and we end up pissing 2 points away.

In spades.... That's not in question. But we ain't clicking.... There's no relationship with Kane and there's too much mindless dribbling into nowhere. Once again there was moaning about Kane wandering all over the pitch.... The best way to deter that? Fucking get him involved..... Pass to him and move.
Is that fair on Gary? But for a couple of missed penalties could have been the champion?

Bit harsh. We were a couple of minutes away from saying its another very professional and decent performance. We were always going to be better in the second half than the first and we were exactly that up until the last few minutes. I definitely agree that we can be much better going forward with the players we have. But all the best teams start at the back and Southgate has made us one of the hardest teams to beat in world football right now. Not even this excellent Italy side that's breaking records could do it over 120 minutes.

We didn't play well tonight really but we're still dissapointed to only draw the game. I think that's a good sign all in all.
I don’t disagree. We’re both saying that tactically it’s almost came off. I’m just confessing to have found it a bit dull.

I believe it will come. We should only get better. Certainly in attack. Might take a bit longer than it should ideally but I can't help but think back to a lot of really shite England sides from yesteryear, and the difference between this one and those are like night and day, even if things are far from perfect.

Is that fair on Gary? But for a couple of missed penalties could have been the champion?

Doesn't that completely ignore the preceding 120mins?

Doesn't that completely ignore the valid criticism about tonight?

He comes up wanting in the tough games (also see Scotland in Euros & Croatia in the WC)......

I believe it will come. We should only get better. Certainly in attack. Might take a bit longer than it should ideally but I can't help but think back to a lot of really shite England sides from yesteryear, and the difference between this one and those are like night and day, even if things are far from perfect.

This sentiment does nothing but muddy that water and redirect completely valid questions and criticism away from Gary.

Poland is barely a top 30 team in the world.
England is top 3-5
Kane scoring against a poor team like Poland should be expected

Time and time again, Lewandowski wills his teams to good results. Delivers in the biggest moments against better teams. This is why he's the best striker in the world.

Just my opinion.
What results? What has Poland actually accomplished?

We ain’t clicking? When was the last time we lost a game?

One thing I’ve noticed with this England team is that there is one weak link in our build up, and that’s Sterling.

Don’t get me wrong, he generally delivers when he’s on the end of something, but so often our forward momentum breaks down when he’s involved in the build up, either by him holding onto the ball too long, dribbling into blind alleys or consistently picking the wrong pass.

Sterling has his merits, but I think what he does badly outweigh those things he does well.

I think we have better than him on the bench, but I can’t see him being replaced, so I think we’ll struggle to convert a lot of our breaks because Sterling seems to be involved so much but fails to deliver in the build up so often.

One thing I’ve noticed with this England team is that there is one weak link in our build up, and that’s Sterling.

Don’t get me wrong, he generally delivers when he’s on the end of something, but so often our forward momentum breaks down when he’s involved in the build up, either by him holding onto the ball too long, dribbling into blind alleys or consistently picking the wrong pass.

Sterling has his merits, but I think what he does badly outweigh those things he does well.

I think we have better than him on the bench, but I can’t see him being replaced, so I think we’ll struggle to convert a lot of our breaks because Sterling seems to be involved so much but fails to deliver in the build up so often.

Both he and Grealish did my fucking nut in tonight..... So much so that it largely distracted me from Mount's usual mediocrity.

I thought we were pretty good really, against a team who surprised me by being better than I was expecting. Bit of a brainfart at the end tarnished it but there's no getting away from the fact that this is the most solid and consistent England team I can remember.

I like the bloke and he deserves a lot of credit for the job he's done. But I can't help but feel we're doing well despite of Southgate, and not because of him. He has a fantastic squad. We didn't even have the likes of Foden, Rashford or Greenwood on the bench in the recent games. We have players like Harvey Elliott, Harvey Barnes, Cole Palmer and Tariq Lamptey who will make that next step sooner rather than later. The talent and potential in this squad is insane. I can't help but want a little more than a manager that has made us really hard to beat. We're hard to watch at times, and that shouldn't be the case with all of the wonderful attacking players we have.

Back
Top Bottom