Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy retirement, Aaron.

Very intelligent player and underrated in that respect. Many, especially non-Spurs fans, would see Lennon as nothing more than that old school speed merchant winger with very little end product but could be a menace on his day. But he was a clever player. Very good finisher too when given a chance, very cool under pressure and incredibly unselfish.

But that type of player would never break through and succeed nowadays like Lennon did in his pomp. Different era, different abilities and needs nowadays. He was just what we needed though at the time after a spell of utter dross. Seeing him come in, along with the likes of Carrick blossoming, Defoe being the main man, King before the knee injuries, Robinson when he was one of the best in the league etc. was a real bright spark of the mid 00s.

Lennon was a great player for us for many years, from his start as a £1m backup to Routledge to the guy who would get the whole stadium on their feet when he turned on the afterburners. Year after year we'd hope he would be able to develop a consistently good cross to make him one of the best right wing options in the Premier League, but he was so often injured mid-season and came back too tentative, more reluctant to roast the full back each time, his trademark blistering runs happening less and less.

Ultimately he got more praise for his tracking back than he did for his forward forays and having not developed his game, offered less each season. He does not quite fit in to the role of a player who could cut inside, pick a pass, or get a shot off...(I've never seen a player so reluctant to get a shot off.) He's an old school winger, wide right in a 4-4-2, his pace is deserting him and he still hasn't developed a decent cross. Maybe it's down to his attitude, maybe he does not have the desire to be better and was just happy with being faster...I'll never shake the feeling of the player he could have been in spite of all the good memories of the player he was.

Good luck at Everton Aaron, I hope you can carry on at a decent level. There have been some great moments but in the end he's just another Spurs player who despite his qualities, had some failings that meant he just wasn't quite good enough to be great.

Great servant to the club. But clinging on to past memories if we retain him. Hasn't been anywhere close to his best recently and I don't think he ever truly reached what could have been his best.

cBBJD.gif

Love Aaron Lennon. Spurs legend. From the minute he arrived, under Martin Jol in 2005, Spurs luck changed. We've been on an upward curve since then. We never lost a game he scored in and he scored and assisted some big goals in some big games. Frightening pace and on his day unplayable.

I always felt sorry for Wayne Routledge who was signed to compete for the same role in the team with Lennon. Routledge was originally given the nod ahead of Lennon and started off well for Spurs in the opening fixtures of 05 / 06. He got injured away at Portsmouth and Lennon got his chance. Routledge never got a look in after that. Edgar Davids spent time with Lennon after training working on his game. It paid off.

One Aaron Lennon.

I wish him all the best.

I hate to rain on your parade but I'm one of the few who do not like Lennon very much. He's way too one dimensional for me. Doesn't score many goals, not a great crosser, not the greatest passer. Sure he's pretty good at taking on a full back, but a lot of the time he wastes a chance to create something great with his poor final ball. He should be a lot better than he is at this point.

I remember seeing his breakthrough in 2005 thinking he's going to be a colossus (no height involved), but he reached a glass ceiling at one point. Yet he gave 110% everytime he was on the pitch and he was truly a yid through and through.

Everybody mentioned his important goals but I actually want to salute him for a different moment. It was last season when Andros was taking over his first team spot, AVB put Lennon as a sub at LW and Andros on the right, I can't remember against who it was but the opposition LB was brutally taking down Townsend time after time. Lennon ran from the other side fouled that twat got a yellow card but showed he was proper sportsman and above all a proper yid.

I truly hope he'll find a new home to blossom at.

Because he's been shit the past few years. I don't care if he's been around awhile, he deserves criticism if he doesn't play well. Especially if his attitude has been poor and he's been causing no problems behind the scenes. Why should he be an exception?

He's been poor for managers who use him incorrectly (although no worse than Lamela, to be honest). He was great for Martinez January onwards.

If used properly, he's still the best winger we've got. But no, he's being treated like a cunt by a managers who prefers a complete pretender in his place.

Some of the comments in this thread are a joke.

Back
Top Bottom