Acceptable netspend this summer ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One-Million-Dollars-639omk.jpg

I don't often agree with you, but tbf you've just hit the nail firmly on the head!
If net spend is so unimportant, why are we berating other clubs for spending more than us!
Net spend for net spend’s sake is silly - it proves nothing. It’s quite obvious that the important thing is who you spend it on. It could be both a good and a bad thing. Look at Brighton, look at Utd. It needs to be looked at in context.

I’m absolutely not against spending money that we have. I am against wasting money on benchwarmers.

Can we define this state of "non-acceptance"?

(Another of these things that are preferred to be left vague around here....)

....Are we talking merely having a moan here, letters to the club, banners or something more radical like boycotting games, denouncing my support etc.?

I'll be dissapointed if we haven't fixed key areas; i.e. RB/CM.

I'm not advocating the mere prospect of not spending as a POLICY; never have done. I just think there's enough pausible reasons that have contributed to that outcome for me not to lose my shit over it. If we spend ZERO in the summer then I'll be seeking to know why.

I can't be bothered to read all that , its a simple question no need for the bs

It doesn't fucking matter what the net spend is. The ONLY thing that matters is the equality of the players bought in and we sell players that don't add to the team currently.

Just why do people obsess with net spend? Have they not seen enough of what shit buys look like? Or do you still think Everton, Woolwich, Man U, West Ham & Palace bought well?

Net spend for net spend’s sake is silly - it proves nothing. It’s quite obvious that the important thing is who you spend it on. It could be both a good and a bad thing. Look at Brighton, look at Utd. It needs to be looked at in context.

I’m absolutely not against spending money that we have. I am against wasting money on benchwarmers.

Exactly right - it's who you buy and how many, look at the number of new players bought in to Fulham, they never coped with the transition.

We need to add gradually and improve incrementally, the idea we buy 4 or 5 players is concerning because you have to give them time, a fair bit of it and that means sacrificing results, which I am guessing none of us would accept either.

Also I find the 'net spend' argument a little bit of a red herring, I was listening to a podcast who made the point that Alexis Sanchez was possibly the most expensive signing for Man United of all time, why? Because the wage level he was offered meant other players would demand parity or an increase in line with that player's wage, so an ongoing cost of millions of pounds, a set of overpaid players who are unsaleable and a team that under performs. Perhaps a salient reason why anyone would struggle to manage the side.

The amount we spend is an irrelevance when compared to creating a sustainable squad that has the depth to handle the games at the business end of the season. We're not there yet and it will take more than next season to get to that point, it takes a long time to be an overnight success.

Actually that does pose another question, would you accept next season as transitional, winning nothing, no Euroean competition, if it meant that we developed a team/squad that could mount a serious challenge on all fronts?

Why don’t you read my posts where I continually state that this isn’t the narrative of the media or supporters. It’s wasnt about who they targeted - most wouldn’t be able to outline the qualities of the likes of Fabino or Keita- I suspect that the average supporter wouldn’t have even heard about them. It’s was all about monetary amount they cost - it was about them having the largest net spend last summer, it was about the statement they made to the rest of the league. That’s the narrative - it’s been echoed by the likes of Carragher and Neville on Sky and by many on here. Why you choosing to present something else I do not know - I have had multiple conversations about this very topic throughout the season with many who have gone about their spend and the impact on us. Next you will be telling me the media haven’t referenced City’s owners as a basis for their recent success.

I notice you conviently ignore the other question - funny that.
Fuck me what rock have you been living under. Before a ball was kicked this season Liverpool transfer business was lorded. It hasn't stopped since to this day. In every piece written, in every studio discussion it's all been about the perception that that bought really well for the positions they required. Throw-in some additional marketing hype around VVD in an attempt to justify the price they paid and you have the narrative that surrounds Liverpool's transfer business.

I and it would appear you to do not agree with this narrative but it absolutely IS the narrative, I will not even waste my time in googling the thousands upon thousands of words written on this very subject. But I suggest you should, there are at least 4 MNF's "debates" where they talk specifically about it, same with the post-match stuff on BT. Almost EVERY week on Sunday Sky thingy with the hacks.

Nah you right it’s clearly all about Liverpool’s’ targets ‘being Keita, Fabino and Allison .

Everyone watches Leipzig, Monaco and Roma each week so knew exactly all about them. Knew that they would address all of their weakness. Had nothing to do with them costing over £150 million.

How can any club possibly compete with such as talent and speciality in ‘targets’.
Play on your own mate.

It's all there, thousands of word written and spoken from before a ball was kicked and still to this day.

Off with you now.

Not sure about net spend but want to see us actually address the areas we need.

Have to improve CM, FB and striking options otherwise I cant see how we can progress any more than where we are now

We need a big rebuild & a net spend of +200m. BUT if we end up with no signings & a net spend of -200m then that is what I think we really need.

Why would anyone give a fuck what the net spend was?
If we sell players for 100M, and improve the team for 100M, does that mean we aren’t as ambitious as if we overpaid for the same players?

As if the serial trf-bitchers will ever commit to having that question answered on record?
I've been asking the likes of John Thomas John Thomas "how much" for years now (as have others on many occasion).... The cowards won't answer as it fatally weakens their 'hand'.
Because it's a fucking dumb-ass question only the densest piece of wood would ever think of asking.

What myself and others are asking is how is it acceptable for one of the wealthiest clubs in Europe to go two successive transfer windows without investing a dime in new players while simultaneously posting world record breaking profits.

All we want to see is a level of investment in the squad befitting of a club of our stature. Wether that's an annual net spend of 20million 50million 100million is neither here nor there.

But being the first club ever to completely duck out of a summer transfer window, and back it up by ducking out of the following January window is a fucking cop out by the owners and deep down you know it.

Not fussed about net spend just care about getting good players in. We NEED to get a new CM another forward minded midfielder to cover Eriksen a new RB minimum, and that's assuming Toby Llorente and Eriksen stay and fringe players like Wanyama and Lamela prove they ain't perma crocked.

All that's unlikely so we are probably looking at needing those 3 positions plus replacing about 4 other squad members. And this is something that must happen cause we have been piss poor this season in the league and the fact that United Chelsea and the scum have just so far shit the bed more then we have is covering it up

The level of double think by some on here is quite something. We cannot compete for major honours due to other teams net spend but seemingly this is an unimportant factor when it’s comes to our recruitment process.

Back
Top Bottom