Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A) Again, on a strictly individual level I don't think anyone's arguing with the quality of the player. But we must consider some context. The man's set to earn 175,000 GBP a fuggin week, which is far more than we've paid any player ever or even intended to considering we offered last year's Premier League Player of the Season 160,000 a week. Personally, I would love to keep Ade. I very much enjoyed watching him give our season a shot in the arm and seeing him salute the fans in particular. But I would be very, very surprised if he's not moved on come September barring he accepts a lesser contract.

B) Yes I very much indeed trust those scouts, because of one very big recent change it seems you've missed out on: Ian Broomfield is back. I absolutely agree that Baldini did a poor job last summer (decent eye for talent, but poor idea of squad needs and player suitability), but I fully trust the man who identified talents for THFC such as Luis Suarez, Jan Vertonghen, Eden Hazard, Miralem Pjanic, and Edinson Cavani before any of the big boys got ahold of them to find us a new striker in Ade's stead should we sell.

Surely, like you say, he might accept a lesser contract-- he has to have some idea that he's not going to make that kind of money no matter where he plays his football. And, at least it would seem, he likes playing for us so I hold out some hope that he'd do exactly that. Then again, I suppose you and Oz are both right in that we just don't know.

and no, I wasn't aware Broomfield was back. That being said, we did only end up with one of those players. Obviously the blame can't be his seeing as he's just a scout, but we'll need to figure out the signing part that goes along with the scouting if I'm to fully trust in the club's ability to get the players we need. That's the sort of ethos change that'll require a long term commitment to building, however. I think a good way to start it off would be by somehow convincing Ade to let us feasibly hold onto him.

You can write about stats all you want. I remember:

Stupid red card at Woolwich when we still were going well
Stupid amateur penalty in Europa
Stupid wall opening with Paulinho.

For all the good he brings he brings baggage.

Well 40 goals in three seasons....and you remember 3 things against.....not really adding up for you is it

The man's set to earn 175,000 GBP a fuggin week
How do you know this, have you seen his contract? When we signed him on a perm it was on a contract that extended beyond this season. With that in mind, and with consideration that City have been subsidising his wages, how do you know that the deal is not structured so that he actually doesn't earn that per week once city stop coughing up?

Also, as I said that other day, contracts aren't just about weekly wages. Bonuses, signing on fees and transfer fees also factor in. At least two of those we aren't privy to for pretty much every player in the squad.

I think there is a lot of guess work that is done by fans about just how much a player costs and/or earns.

The wages you assume Ade will earn next year equates to about £8m a year. Yet we paid nearly £30m for Lamela, and he's sitting around doing bugger all - plus still taking several million a year in wages. Which player has contributed more to the club? Swings and roundabouts.

I really like Ade and hope he stays with us next season - good to read his interview

He's the closest we've come to replacing Berbatov 7 years layer in terms of a 'target man' and although not always ideal, still has loads to offer for at least another 1-2 seasons. Won't find a better deal in that price range, imv - would be silly to sell

Unless of course we're in for the Drog who has just left Galatasaray - although he will be 37 soon, mind you

1- 170,000 pounds a week!
2- 20,400,000 pounds 3 seasons
3-510,000 pounds per goal
Hows those three things Sammy!

Im sure you could do the same for Messi, and see that there would be not much difference when you consider his wages....but that would make you look an even bigger tit wouldnt it...

:llorishuh:

1- 170,000 pounds a week!
2- 20,400,000 pounds 3 seasons
3-510,000 pounds per goal
Hows those three things Sammy!
Cheaper than both Lamela and Solado for this past season. Soldado is several million per goal, and that is before wages.

But nobody talks about that. It's still Ade who comes in for the shit.

How do you know this, have you seen his contract? When we signed him on a perm it was on a contract that extended beyond this season. With that in mind, and with consideration that City have been subsidising his wages, how do you know that the deal is not structured so that he actually doesn't earn that per week once city stop coughing up?

Also, as I said that other day, contracts aren't just about weekly wages. Bonuses, signing on fees and transfer fees also factor in. At least two of those we aren't privy to for pretty much every player in the squad.

I think there is a lot of guess work that is done by fans about just how much a player costs and/or earns.

The wages you assume Ade will earn next year equates to about £8m a year. Yet we paid nearly £30m for Lamela, and he's sitting around doing bugger all - plus still taking several million a year in wages. Which player has contributed more to the club? Swings and roundabouts.

People quibling over a few grand a week for a footballer, at the end of the season its a drop in the ocean.
If Levy is happy with the deal then Ive got not cause to complain about it. If we know one thing its that Levy doesnt dick about with finances. Storm in a teacup, IMO.

Adebayor is a fine player and the best striker we have. We should keep him. Simple as that, for me.

You said for every good thing there is a bad thing.

You named three things, and I named 40 goals...

No I didn't. "For all the good he brings he brings baggage". I named some examples of baggage. You have taken my post out context. I don't have to name 40 issues. This isn't an equation. Your relevance is zero (see what I did there?). No further discussion/trolling required. Happy for him to stay if the manager wants him, happy for him to leave if the manager doesn't. I really want a left back!

No I didn't. "For all the good he brings he brings baggage". I named some examples of baggage. You have taken my post out context. I don't have to name 40 issues. This isn't an equation. Your relevance is zero (see what I did there?). No further discussion/trolling required. Happy for him to stay if the manager wants him, happy for him to leave if the manager doesn't. I really want a left back!
calmdown.png

Surely, like you say, he might accept a lesser contract-- he has to have some idea that he's not going to make that kind of money no matter where he plays his football. And, at least it would seem, he likes playing for us so I hold out some hope that he'd do exactly that. Then again, I suppose you and Oz are both right in that we just don't know.

and no, I wasn't aware Broomfield was back. That being said, we did only end up with one of those players. Obviously the blame can't be his seeing as he's just a scout, but we'll need to figure out the signing part that goes along with the scouting if I'm to fully trust in the club's ability to get the players we need. That's the sort of ethos change that'll require a long term commitment to building, however. I think a good way to start it off would be by somehow convincing Ade to let us feasibly hold onto him.

Indeed we did only sign one of them, but the list I cited was intended to point out some of the more premier recent picks he made before some of Europe's biggest even took notice. There are plenty others he did he point out that we did get, such as Sandro namely. But either way, he's a great evaluater of talent to have back on board. I don't think we'll be making the same mistakes as we did last summer.

You said for every good thing there is a bad thing.

You named three things, and I named 40 goals...

Cheaper than both Lamela and Solado for this past season. Soldado is several million per goal, and that is before wages.

But nobody talks about that. It's still Ade who comes in for the shit.
Its an Ade thread and the example was highlighted to Sammy's propensity to insult other posters intelligence and yet when he is challenged he mentions Messi, I mean why don't we start comparing Ade to to all the best strikers in the world and look like bigger fools.

Its an Ade thread and the example was highlighted to Sammy's propensity to insult other posters intelligence and yet when he is challenged he mentions Messi, I mean why don't we start comparing Ade to to all the best strikers in the world and look like bigger fools.

Please show me how much one of Messi's goals is "worth", using your silly little equation on wage versus goals scored over the last three years.

You insulted your own intelligence......I guess RVP is a load of shit then based on the "wages to goals" method you have devised...

:goonermong:

Please show me how much one of Messi's goals is "worth", using your silly little equation on wage versus goals scored over the last three years.

You insulted your own intelligence......I guess RVP is a load of shit then based on the "wages to goals" method you have devised...

Selectivity is a fine thing to use Sammy

You opened the box Sammy

By pointing out that he scored 40 goals in three seasons....sorry...two and a half seasons (would have been more but for a twat manager)...

You then decided, all on your own, to "value" his goals at 300-500,000 pounds each as a way of belittling his tally and saying he is over paid.

Now....please run along and do the same for Messi, so you can see how "overly expensive" one of his goals would also look, relative to the 250 odd grand a week he's probably on...

Div

Selectivity is a fine thing to use Sammy

Is that why you have selected Ade's "wage to goals" tally, but wont do the same for a top world class player...?

Could it be because despite world class strikers earning around a MILLION pound a month, they still only score about 4-8 goals a month..?

Doesnt add up really for any player does it eh?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom