Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

^ That was the only goal all season I didn't immediately erupt into celebration. I was just stupefied as to what I had just seen. I probably managed a smile at some point, but it was some minutes after I had hinged my jaw back together.

I really hope he comes back and decides to fight for his minutes. Too much quality in that player to be constantly searching for a club he can call home.

Just hurry up and leave you 5 goal a season so-called striker !!

Lets be honest here people , when he was on loan to us during 2011/12 - he was a good striker - but as soon as we sign him on a contract - the mercenary that he is was a bag of crap in a Spurs shirt (he was scoring freely in the Africa Cup of Nations in January) - but did nitto for us. That so-called penalty in the Europa League really finished his days as a Spurs player for me - he skied it totally then turned round and laughed about it - what a prick !!

While I agree with Penpen, the thing I don't understand about Ade is I am sure I remember him at the arse rifling in shots adn the net bulging. But for us, it doesn't seem that he can hit the ball directly into the goal from the edge of the penalty box without it bouncing on the way.
How can you be a striker if you cant strike the ball?
Seriously, what has happened to his shooting boots? Where did he lose the ability to strike a ball?

You make a fair point about his shooting. Far too often Ade would try something cute and try to poke it past the keeper, or place it from range. He seems to lack the aggression of his younger years and his willingness to strike the ball hard.

That game is on next on NBCSN's BPL marathon. Easily his best game of the year.

During the season, he quickly became my least favorite player on the team, I wouldn't be upset whatsoever if we sold him. If he stays, hopefully the competition with Soldado will put a pulse in Ade's body so he can be an effective squad player.

I don't get the praises, I really don't, everybody slated him throughout the season, the abuse he got after the Woolwich game when he got sent off was incredible. If the game against Chelsea had come earlier in the season I doubt it would even be remembered or referenced.

AVB has made is clear Defoe is staying which leaves Adebayor the odd one out, I'd be surprised if he was kept on with his wages, I think he'll go and a cheaper 3rd choice brought in.

I don't get the praises, I really don't, everybody slated him throughout the season, the abuse he got after the Woolwich game when he got sent off was incredible. If the game against Chelsea had come earlier in the season I doubt it would even be remembered or referenced.
No, "everybody" did not slate him. Just the moaners did. Some of us remembered the previous season and also were able to spot the games where he added more than Defoe, even when he wasn't scoring.

Adebayor, as an ex-Gooner, is an easy target. Always has been, always will be. I can't remember any other Spurs player getting dumped on so quickly when his form hit the shitter. But when people take emotions out of their hearts then you start to realise that the "Adebayor is a lazy mercenary" thing is based on pure guess work and assumption. Fact is that he is the more capable player, whether people want to accept that or not. Frankly, the amount of seasons we've seen Defoe run how and cold over the months, it equally baffles me why people think he's a top four capable player. I can't remember one season where he didn't dip out of form at some point. Contrast this to only two seasons of Adebayor, the first of which was more consistent than any of Defoe's. Yet it's still Adebayor who comes in for the abuse.

The thing that appears to be stopping him from going (if you believe the media - and lets face it nobody really does when talking about transfers), is his high wage demands. That said I still want rid - however if he stays and is given the chance by AVB, and has a repeat season of 2011/12 then I will be among the first people on here to eat my words and retract my earlier statement -- we shall wait and see what happens.

No, "everybody" did not slate him. Just the moaners did. Some of us remembered the previous season and also were able to spot the games where he added more than Defoe, even when he wasn't scoring.

Adebayor, as an ex-Gooner, is an easy target. Always has been, always will be. I can't remember any other Spurs player getting dumped on so quickly when his form hit the shitter. But when people take emotions out of their hearts then you start to realise that the "Adebayor is a lazy mercenary" thing is based on pure guess work and assumption. Fact is that he is the more capable player, whether people want to accept that or not. Frankly, the amount of seasons we've seen Defoe run how and cold over the months, it equally baffles me why people think he's a top four capable player. I can't remember one season where he didn't dip out of form at some point. Contrast this to only two seasons of Adebayor, the first of which was more consistent than any of Defoe's. Yet it's still Adebayor who comes in for the abuse.

You dump on Dempsey. I dump on Ade. In the end, both are pretty mediocre and probably best suited elsewhere.

I just have a short leash on players like Ade and how he played this season. Mostly bad, lazy with a few rare bright spots here or there. He just contributed a total negative toward our squad. There are enough of these types of players on the other teams I cheer for in the US. I just have no place for them.

You say that, but Defoe's workrate has easily surpassed that of Adebayor throughout his career - which is something that talent cannot dictate. The desire to succeed is within all of us, and Adebayor really does not seem like someone who actually gives a shit.

One day he can run his socks off for the team and look like such an asset and nightmare for a defence, the next he trundles about like a punch-drunk deer. Not good enough in my book

just realised that Adebayor is the only player left at our club that people don't really like after the departures of Gallas, Jenas, Bentley and Hudd.

In order to prevent one of the liked players becoming our new hate figure, i am starting a campaign to keep Adebayor.

When the 'deadwood' tag sticks... it REALLY sticks!
Jenas, Bentley, and to a lesser extend THudd, are all following in Sherwood's/Redknapp's (the pretty one, not the saggy one) Doherty's/Freund's (sorry) and Chris Armstrong's footsteps!

I dont think Hudd or was disliked by some fans, other than for his abilities...

Maybe hate figure was too strong, but they were definitely one of those groan figures. When their number came up to be subbed on the whole crowd would just sigh/groan/cover their eyes.

If Adebayor leaves who will be next?

just realised that Adebayor is the only player left at our club that people don't really like after the departures of Gallas, Jenas, Bentley and Hudd.

In order to prevent one of the liked players becoming our new hate figure, i am starting a campaign to keep Adebayor.

Quite a few idiots getting on Walkers back last season - not just on twitter, he's my tip for "scapegoat of the year".

Just hurry up and leave you 5 goal a season so-called striker !!

Lets be honest here people , when he was on loan to us during 2011/12 - he was a good striker - but as soon as we sign him on a contract - the mercenary that he is was a bag of crap in a Spurs shirt (he was scoring freely in the Africa Cup of Nations in January) - but did nitto for us. That so-called penalty in the Europa League really finished his days as a Spurs player for me - he skied it totally then turned round and laughed about it - what a prick !!

So how do you explain Walkers dip in form last season as well (and BAE & Parker)? Heaven forbid it might be down to the management.

And if you are going to blame him for his reaction after the penalty should you not look at Jans idiotic challenge that got him sent off?

Back
Top Bottom