Alfie Devine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This debate is pointless now. You were being harsh and that has been proven. On to Marseille!
It hasn't been proven. Go and watch the game(s) and tell me something Winks did other than short easy passes, usually backwards.

I pointed out years ago that was all he ever did. He was getting MoTM awards because a stat popped up on the screen that said 98% successful passes. That meant nothing then and means nothing now.

I remember The Athletic claimed Conte is a fan of Devine (see below).

Reading this analysis again, I note it's not just his ability but also his spirit and character that our coaches like.

In Paratici's recent interview about the transfer window, he said the club targeted Richarlison not just because of his talent, PL experience & ability to play across the front line. But also because of his drive and character.

If Alfie is from a similar mould, I can see Conte giving him some minutes as the season progresses.

-----------------------------------------------

Antonio Conte is a big fan of Devine, which is why he was so involved with the first team towards the end of last season — both in training and being on the bench for matches like May’s north London derby. It wasn’t just about filling gaps — Conte and his staff really see something in the youngster. The head coach wants players developed in the under-21 set-up and given to him ready to go. He sees Devine in that category, and has been impressed with how seamlessly he’s fitted into the first-team group, in terms of ability and attitude.

Conte’s staff have been similarly impressed, some particularly taken with his dribbling and confidence with the ball at his feet. At youth-team level, Devine has shown again and again he has the character to dominate games and lift his team-mates with his attitude and communication on the pitch. These are traits he shares with his father, Sean, who played professional rugby league as a scrum-half for St Helens. During the under-23s’ north London derby against Woolwich in March, for instance, Devine took matters into his own hands with the team 2-0 down and scored a brilliant solo goal as part of an outstanding display, despite the 2-1 defeat.

Alfie Devine showing promise for Spurs and England - what will next season bring?

Dont like hyping up youngsters because so much can go wrong but from the little i've seen Devine really does look like he has something about him. I'd have him on the bench tomorrow, needs to start being in and around the first team more.
I'd play him at RWB over Emerson any day, any opposition, doesn't matter...

Probably wouldn't do much for Devine's development, but would improve the team no end.

Dont like hyping up youngsters because so much can go wrong but from the little i've seen Devine really does look like he has something about him. I'd have him on the bench tomorrow, needs to start being in and around the first team more.

It's really disappointing that he's not. More than good enough to play in 10 or so Prem games this season.

So good to see him today. If only for a minute or two.

Far too good to be playing U21 football. Should probably be on our bench every week or sent out on loan for first team football at this stage. Ceiling is very high for this kid.

Lets not ruin his development.

We need a manager that will give minutes to Gil, Sarr, Devine and Skipp over the coming 3 years.

Seeing then four and Spence get minutes between now and the end of the season would be great. They give us the energy we've needed for so long.

We've got a squad and talented young players. Lets use them.

So good to see him today. If only for a minute or two.

Far too good to be playing U21 football. Should probably be on our bench every week or sent out on loan for first team football at this stage. Ceiling is very high for this kid.

Lets not ruin his development.
Think the club wanted to send him on loan but he pulled his hamstring in August and was out for a bit

Back
Top Bottom