Alfie Devine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ev00E75XIAEwa6J

As he’s just 17 you would think he’s miles off the first team but when you see Bellingham play for England, you just never know. He certainly looks to have the physical strength to cope. No doubt a big talent for the future.

As he’s just 17 you would think he’s miles off the first team but when you see Bellingham play for England, you just never know. He certainly looks to have the physical strength to cope. No doubt a big talent for the future.
Bellingham is a freak amongst freaks though, for me Devine looks a bit out of balance quite often, marker of in growth (hopefully), where as Bellingham is a smooth poised young man (that’s why I believe we should go hard for his bro’ as his family must have a really good diet).

High protein produces height, but he must take care to not become a rugby player in physique, as his family background is difficult to shake, if he’s so good soo young due to high powered foods he’ll burn out quick, hope our new regime can get all this dynamic nailed down.

Is 18 the youngest youths can go out then? Or, 17 at seasons start?

I'm not sure there is a rule, but is a 16 or 17 year old is going to do well on loan playing a man's game (and at that age a lot of physical development to do), not forgetting that below Academy Year 1 they will have been at school full time, as as well as dealing with life's general problems and forming relationships with your playing colleagues who are young men versus a child.

So my guess would be that after a minimum of one year's worth of full time training (putting them in Academy Year 2) or two years full time training - the latter putting them at age 18 or thereabouts is probably appropriate

I'm not sure there is a rule, but is a 16 or 17 year old is going to do well on loan playing a man's game (and at that age a lot of physical development to do), not forgetting that below Academy Year 1 they will have been at school full time, as as well as dealing with life's general problems and forming relationships with your playing colleagues who are young men versus a child.

So my guess would be that after a minimum of one year's worth of full time training (putting them in Academy Year 2) or two years full time training - the latter putting them at age 18 or thereabouts is probably appropriate

Hadn't too much considered the mental/group aspect, thanks.

Agree he's too young, but Scarlett (type as an example) if he develops as Bellingham has (adding zero un-necessary muscle) physically I could see being of the type mentally to flourish, conversely could set them back a couple of crucial years and can't expect the same conditioning/nutritional/recovery support at lower league.

Quite the quandary, as both look like the types raring to go, who will probably be ready 12-18months before their body truly is.

Hadn't too much considered the mental/group aspect, thanks.

Agree he's too young, but Scarlett (type as an example) if he develops as Bellingham has (adding zero un-necessary muscle) physically I could see being of the type mentally to flourish, conversely could set them back a couple of crucial years and can't expect the same conditioning/nutritional/recovery support at lower league.

Quite the quandary, as both look like the types raring to go, who will probably be ready 12-18months before their body truly is.

Both Scarlett and Devine look physically very developed for their age - but my guess would be that both of their bodies still need more 'maturing' to do.

My guess is that both could play some games - but not a full season of playing once or twice a week for 90 minutes which is what a loan should be ideally. Both should get a medical check up but I suspect that might be the outcome ?

Jude Bellingham made 29 appearances for Dortmund totalling 1700 minutes - or just under an hour per appearance aged 17. Personally I'd have thought that was on the high side - I'd worry that he'd follow players like Michael Owen who started playing young at a similar age but was burned out by about 26/27.

On the mental side, I can't imagine myself as a 16/17 year old coping with day to day life stuff living away from parents, although I did so aged 18. And not sure how easy it is to bond with men when aged 16/17 - and imo teams do need to bond.

So, I suspect its down to sports scientists and parents to help decide what to do - but given neither Scarlett or Devine have played a full season of u21 football, I'd suggest that both play u21 football and maybe 10-15 appearances (probably only 4/5/6 starts) in first team (assuming manager agrees) isn't a bad solution to help bridge the gap to hopefully a full season in 22/23 either out on loan or playing for Spurs first team.

But that's purely opinion !

Both Scarlett and Devine look physically very developed for their age - but my guess would be that both of their bodies still need more 'maturing' to do.

My guess is that both could play some games - but not a full season of playing once or twice a week for 90 minutes which is what a loan should be ideally. Both should get a medical check up but I suspect that might be the outcome ?

Jude Bellingham made 29 appearances for Dortmund totalling 1700 minutes - or just under an hour per appearance aged 17. Personally I'd have thought that was on the high side - I'd worry that he'd follow players like Michael Owen who started playing young at a similar age but was burned out by about 26/27.

On the mental side, I can't imagine myself as a 16/17 year old coping with day to day life stuff living away from parents, although I did so aged 18. And not sure how easy it is to bond with men when aged 16/17 - and imo teams do need to bond.

So, I suspect its down to sports scientists and parents to help decide what to do - but given neither Scarlett or Devine have played a full season of u21 football, I'd suggest that both play u21 football and maybe 10-15 appearances (probably only 4/5/6 starts) in first team (assuming manager agrees) isn't a bad solution to help bridge the gap to hopefully a full season in 22/23 either out on loan or playing for Spurs first team.

But that's purely opinion !

Agree, but also the will of these kids is soo strong, clearly, so it's such a balancing act to avoid a Noni, Scarlett just got given Kane's shirt and got bigged up by Jose in the press, he will be difficult to manage if he's smashing it in training, and getting months outside the 18, type deal.

Fundamentally if either are Bellingham level, they'll find themselves in and around the team next season, as what Manager/Coach/Ghost would resist; as his bones might not be strong enough? not many, if any.

Think it's something we'll see more of now, there was a 16year old who broke Bellingham's record at the Euro's days ago, not that I agree with it, though Wijlnaldum (SP?) was playing in Holland at 16 I vaguely recall, so if not borrowing from tomorrow to play too early (seriously load them up on Calcium though), it can work and preserve longevity so a high degree.

It's most dangerous to Scarlett as he is about explosiveness in his burst movements. That's why we remember Rooney, Owen, but they were not dedicated enough to care for their bodies, so perhaps false flags.

Agree, but also the will of these kids is soo strong, clearly, so it's such a balancing act to avoid a Noni, Scarlett just got given Kane's shirt and got bigged up by Jose in the press, he will be difficult to manage if he's smashing it in training, and getting months outside the 18, type deal.

Fundamentally if either are Bellingham level, they'll find themselves in and around the team next season, as what Manager/Coach/Ghost would resist; as his bones might not be strong enough? not many, if any.

Think it's something we'll see more of now, there was a 16year old who broke Bellingham's record at the Euro's days ago, not that I agree with it, though Wijlnaldum (SP?) was playing in Holland at 16 I vaguely recall, so if not borrowing from tomorrow to play too early (seriously load them up on Calcium though), it can work and preserve longevity so a high degree.

It's most dangerous to Scarlett as he is about explosiveness in his burst movements. That's why we remember Rooney, Owen, but they were not dedicated enough to care for their bodies, so perhaps false flags.

Noni Mandueke is a slightly different case he declined to sign a contract (aged 16) as he could see no route to the first team. And its difficult to argue with that, as other than Winks none of the others over a 5 year period seemed to make any real substantive progress.

IMO the youth coaches/sports scientists and player/parents need to agree a program for the player at the start of each season - and for most at Scarlett's age it will be pretty simple : Play u18 football, train hard and you might play some u21 football and be considered for pre-season 2022 as one of about 6 players.

With Scarlett, I think it makes sense to see how he plays in pre-season and can he handle playing twice a week (playing regularly twice a week in youth football doesn't happen as its considered too much for yougsters. But then its the same decision makers (possibly including new MD of football and manager) discussing the options with Scarlett/parents and coming to an amicable agreement as to what is best for the player in the long term.

The outcome might even be in 2 halves - up to Christmas play u21 football and some fitst team football and a review at Christmas as to what to do in 2nd half of the season.

But as I say its got to be an agreenent between player and club as to the way forward.

Watching a MOTD thingy, was struck by Micah Richards reflecting, he said that when he was 19 he was playing for Man City and Patrick Viera said to him after a game "you have all the tools to be the next Lillian Thuram". He said, then he saw him 5years later and he said "what happened to you?"...

Thing is, still now I suspect he has no real focus on the fact he put on 30kg odd of muscle he needn't have carried around for several seasons and destroyed his athletic qualities.

The same Dele, to some degree, way too much upper body increase for those chicken legs to not get clogged up in double quick time...

Alfie beware!

Back
Top Bottom