Alfie Devine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham sensation Alfie Devine has suffered a hamstring injury and faces an extended spell on the sidelines, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

The midfielder, 17, had been hoping to impress new boss Antonio Conte after failing to make a first-team appearance under Nuno Espirito Santo.

But a Spurs source has told Football Insider that Devine has broken down with a hamstring injury and that is why he has missed recent matches.

Tottenham sensation Alfie Devine has suffered a hamstring injury and faces an extended spell on the sidelines, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

The midfielder, 17, had been hoping to impress new boss Antonio Conte after failing to make a first-team appearance under Nuno Espirito Santo.

But a Spurs source has told Football Insider that Devine has broken down with a hamstring injury and that is why he has missed recent matches.

He's not played for Spurs youth for about a month - think his last appearance could have been v Wham u23's on 18 October where he was subbed after about an hour.

So he's probably been injured for that last month.

Sad to hear its still going to be an extended period out though.

Alfie Devine the organiser

He might only be 17 but Alfie Devine is an organiser. During Monday's match, he would pop up one minute in support of Scarlett high up the pitch and the next be found in a deep-lying anchorman role. All the while he was talking to everyone around him, telling the full-backs to push up or hold back and carefully watching how the match was playing out.

The teenager is another who big things are expected of and it's not hard to see why when you watch him in action with his close control, technique and reading of the game above most others on the pitch.

He has stepped up to regular U23s football with aplomb this season with 11 goals and three assists for Spurs' academy sides in 20 appearances.

Devine turns 18 on August 1 and, as with Scarlett, the plan has now shifted for the England U19 midfielder to head out on loan. Originally the idea for the midfielder was to keep him at the club to complete three full seasons in order to register him as a club-trained player for the future. His arrival from Wigan only two years ago made it difficult to involve him in the young Europa Conference League squads early this season as he could not be registered on the B list of young club players.

However, Devine's development this season has been such that football.london understands Spurs will now consider loan moves for him for next season so they do not hold back his progress and the player is also believed to be pushing for a loan spell to build on his development.

Tottenham turned down a loan offer from Leyton Orient last year as they felt at that stage his development was better served by spending time split between the first team training sessions and working with Wayne Burnett's development squad.

Devine has already made his Tottenham debut, making history as the club's youngest ever goalscorer with his strike against Marine in the FA Cup third round last season.

Despite still being just 17-years-old, this season he was named on the bench by Conte for the Premier League match at Leeds United and in the FA Cup tie at Middlesbrough.

Devine is outgrowing academy football despite his tender years and now is the time for him to push on and learn all about the rigours of first team football.

I've got pants older than Alfie Devine... But he does seem to be the real deal.... I love the idea of him, Scarlett, Etete and White being part of our 2028 Champions League winning team.... but one step at a time!

... no pressure son, plenty of time yet!

he looks like a genuine talent. if he doesnt go on loan he should be getting minutes this year especially in the domestic cups. looks a far better player than scarlett.
What’s problematic here is that he needs another year at Tottenham to qualify as club-trained. It might be enough to keep him at Spurs otherwise he’s definitely looking to go out on loan

What’s problematic here is that he needs another year at Tottenham to qualify as club-trained. It might be enough to keep him at Spurs otherwise he’s definitely looking to go out on loan
If he stays so that he gets club trained qualification hopefully he can get some minutes off the bench since we are now going to operate with 5 subs in all competitions.

He's done 2 of the 3 years he needs to be club trained. Still 3 full seasons before he's 21 so I think technically the club could loan him, something like a january loan for the next 2 seasons and he would club trained at the end of 2024 with a year to spare. I don't think it's too problematic, it would take the club loaning him for at least 2 and a half of the next 3 seasons for him to not be club trained which I would say is probably unlikely

Just realised he may be named after the Jude Law remake in 2004!

I took a Brazilian bird from work to that film never got anywhere, probably because we went to watch Million Dollar Baby next time, poor girl was crying, terrific!!!

Great goal today
loads of kids named alfie around that time. alfie moon was popular in eastenders hahaha

Defo something about him. He has all the skills but compare to many youth players seems very aggressive, powerful and robust. You need that at high level.

Defo something about him. He has all the skills but compare to many youth players seems very aggressive, powerful and robust. You need that at high level.
hes defo the youth player we should be looking at trying to bring through. i dont see what the hype is about with scarlett i dont see any wow factor. with devine you can see that hes special. would be interesting to watch him with some of the actual first team and see what hes like around much better players. see if hes got that innate number 10 magic.

Alf is classed as U21 for UEFA this season as he has been here 2 seasons.
He's something we don't have in the 1st team squad so I hope AC gives him pre-season.

hes defo the youth player we should be looking at trying to bring through. i dont see what the hype is about with scarlett i dont see any wow factor. with devine you can see that hes special. would be interesting to watch him with some of the actual first team and see what hes like around much better players. see if hes got that innate number 10 magic.
Devine seems more of a technical player for sure. The skillsets of a no 10/no 8 with passing, dribbling etc. Whereas Scarlett seems to be mostly a traditional no 9, like Nkhetia.

Back
Top Bottom