Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know we had a terrible start, and injuries after - but I really think watching back that Mourinho should have got us top 4 once he'd managed to close the gap to 3 points.

Think he did his upmost to get us anywhere near competitive... and for that I’m impressed! We shall see where he really is ( and the mentality of our players) this season.

Won't bother parroting other people's comments about how enjoyable (surprisingly) it was, but one thing that did strike me was how childish Dele seems? Perhaps it's his style of humour, but I think there's an interesting comparison to make with Dier.

The two were very good friends at first, but if you compare the two meetings the players had with Jose, the difference in their reactions during the conversations was quite stark. Dele seemed like a schoolboy being told off by the headmaster, whereas Dier seemed more adult in discussing how he was addressing his future under Pochettino.

Now we've seen this summer the difference in holidays the two players had, with Dier having a more chilled holiday with some of the other players, whereas Dele was at one of these party resorts with Maddison.

It's no surprise that there's a lot less of a bromance visible between the two.

Interested to see if anyone else felt this too, or maybe I'm way off the mark.

I read a good interview with Dier yesterday; he came across as pretty worldly and sophisticated, which surprised me, and isn't how Dele comes across, to me at least.

Dier mentioned that he was great mates with Jan and was really sad to see him leave, and also that he likes to spend time with the Argentinians at the club, especially Gio, and loves their outlook on life. No mention of Dele - doesn't mean they're not still good friends, but it did suggest that maybe Dier's matured quicker than Dele has. Of course, Dele's a couple of years younger so maybe that'll change.

One thing I've really picked up from this series so far is just how important it is for players to be filled with confidence.

They're like a completely different set of lads when the heads are dropping but look at them after coming back to beat Olympiakos. Bouncing, smiling, full of it.

Just shows the importance of stringing wins together and just how much difference a win after a bad run can make.

I read a good interview with Dier yesterday; he came across as pretty worldly and sophisticated, which surprised me, and isn't how Dele comes across, to me at least.

Dier mentioned that he was great mates with Jan and was really sad to see him leave, and also that he likes to spend time with the Argentinians at the club, especially Gio, and loves their outlook on life. No mention of Dele - doesn't mean they're not still good friends, but it did suggest that maybe Dier's matured quicker than Dele has. Of course, Dele's a couple of years younger so maybe that'll change.

Dele is pretty immature. I don’t mean that as a criticism. If I was him I’d be playing computer games and partying as much as I could, and he comes across as a funny and likeable guy.

He’s got a tonne of natural ability. He just needs to focus on making the most of that. He’s got great role models like Kane to inspire him.

Dele is pretty immature. I don’t mean that as a criticism. If I was him I’d be playing computer games and partying as much as I could, and he comes across as a funny and likeable guy.

He’s got a tonne of natural ability. He just needs to focus on making the most of that. He’s got great role models like Kane to inspire him.

Needs to put more effort into the training and less on social media, but I agree.

Dele is the key to it all. If he reaches his potential while Kane is at the club the sky is the limit.

Re watched it a bit more sober and everything I thought at first still stands. One other thing I noticed is what a calamitous cunt Gazzaniga is in nets. Fuck me he is second tier. I completely see why we are happy to get Gideon in on a free despite his fuck ups that led to him being unemployed and fuck the handsome chump off to Fulham for a couple of million. Jesus. When it’s condensed like that, you realise how important a good keeper and back up is.
Levy makes my blood run cold. Camera shy my arse. Everything he says is as wooden as fuck and designed to make him look good. Jan working for the food bank & professing his love for the club has got me welled up again knowing how it ended. What a true gent he is. Really hope he did put his man mallet through Eriksen’s wife tbh.

It’s a complete non starter.
Anyone with half a brain can see what our club is about without watching this.
If someone watches this and still holds Levy responsible for the lack of trophies under Pochs tenure, then it’s obvious they don’t really get football clubs and live by the equation:

More money = more players = Cups

It’s demented at best
Half a brain here Sammy... I don’t hold Levy Directly responsible for a lack of trophies under Poch but from day one, Poch was programmed that his remit was top 4. He simply didn’t take domestic cups seriously. We never took the Europa cup seriously either. Now for me, a manager who hasn’t won a thing to not “give a fuck” about a pot in the cupboard seems very weird. My personal take on it is that he was aware from a very early stage that a league cup and a top 10 finish was beneath the club’s expectations these days. For a while, he was the goose that kept laying the golden egg of CL football. He guided us through the rebuild. But his mojo just upped and offed before the CL final. He had done what he was expected to do (& more) by guiding us to consecutive top 4 finishes and to the biggest final of them all in club football.
We should have won something with that team. But I genuinely believe his remit & priorities wouldn’t have seen him survive if he’d delivered one domestic pot and a couple of Europa runs

That was a class show! So anoying we only get 3 episodes tho, levy seems like a guy who tries to buy his mates ..seems in awe of Mourinho and cleary loved getting him in, also seemed pretty upset about poch and hoped to still be friends!
The whole dier being the player Mourinho tried to sign and bigging up erics ego was funny after the next bit of him getting subbed after 30 mins!

Its clear now how much of a leader kane is off the pitch too, that voice!, so when him and son and sissoko got injured our season was basically over, if they would of stayed fit i genuinely believe top 4 would of been achievable after lockdown especially with Leicester on self destruction.

How can anyone hate Mourinho i do not know.
I think you are missing the most important player here. Hugo Lloris.

You don't see much of him because of his elbow injury. But there is a major difference between having him playing and between the sticks and having Gazza.
I think we will see more of what kind of leader and influence he has on the club (not just the team) in the latter episodes.

Re watched it a bit more sober and everything I thought at first still stands. One other thing I noticed is what a calamitous cunt Gazzaniga is in nets. Fuck me he is second tier. I completely see why we are happy to get Gideon in on a free despite his fuck ups that led to him being unemployed and fuck the handsome chump off to Fulham for a couple of million. Jesus. When it’s condensed like that, you realise how important a good keeper and back up is.
Levy makes my blood run cold. Camera shy my arse. Everything he says is as wooden as fuck and designed to make him look good. Jan working for the food bank & professing his love for the club has got me welled up again knowing how it ended. What a true gent he is. Really hope he did put his man mallet through Eriksen’s wife tbh.

:mourwhat:

When Jose told him that yesterday he was 20 & today he is 56 hit me hard. I feel just like that.
I hope a lad like Dele (who is bloody bright) realises what Jose is getting at because he is absolutely on the money when he says that.

I mean he was playing Rose and Eriksen every single game despite them playing like shit and running their mouths. He was using a wheelchair-bound Wanyama to try and close out games. He was playing a diamond formation that was killing us defensively. He wasn’t able to be ruthless with his own players the way he was with Kaboul, Ade etc all those years ago. His whole ethos was based on commitment to the collective and loyalty, to have your midfield maestro openly say he wants to leave will have been like a dagger to his heart. His philosophy just ran out of road, when players don’t believe in you anymore it can only end one way. He wasn’t the same man anymore.

Poch lost belief in himself too. If you read his book then you’ll know that he really believes in destiny, in the power of positive thinking. Our run to the CL final was like a divine plan, the miraculous comebacks all the way from the group stage to the final. He will have believed with all his heart that we were going to win, that we were fated to win. It‘s understandable that his psyche was severely damaged by the final.
That's interesting.
I've not read this bio. But Jose also seems like a guy who is involved with his religion. But with far fewer morals if that's the correct way of putting it.

This. I know people have agendas, but to watch this and hate Levy more seems a lot to me like someone is simply looking for what they want to find. There's little in it that we didn't know already from instinct or interviews (intelligent but a bit awkward. Not a fan of the limelight).

There's plenty out there that documents the good relationship Poch and Levy had, and it's no doubt that Levy is being honest when saying how hard it was on a personal level to sack him. One thing I was pleased to hear was Levy admitting that he had gotten lucky when he hired Pochettino (i.e. had made an educated decision to choose him but the project went far better than he had expected). - I think a few of us on here were concerned that he'd taken him for granted.

Now, this doesn't excuse the role he had in allowing our squad to become stagnant by not making any purchases in the 2018 summer transfer window, but when the manager neither seems able or motivated to fix the post-CL-final funk, there's only one thing that can be done.

Oh, and one last word on Ndombele - a huge factor in how he comes across is the editing and, so far, they've simply not included him in the 'main cast' they've chosen to follow (Kane, Son, Dier, Vertonghen, Toby, Dele are the biggies thus far). However, what I don't think they can mask is a seemingly anonymous presence in the dressing room and it only makes me more concerned that he will never come good here.
I can see Ndombele not reacting well to criticism.
Mourinho probably openly criticised him like he did to Aurier. But different people react differently. For a new player that is in a new country I can see someone like Ndombele not reacting well and going into his shell. Probably why we hear distant rumours from French journalists every so often as he probably doesn't feel like he has the confidence to come out and openly confront his problems.
I also would say that any other player may answer just by working harder but he has injury problems and he will need more management and care than your usual player.
I'm really interested to see any reaction from Ndombele after Mourinho openly outed him after the Burnley away game.

I know we had a terrible start, and injuries after - but I really think watching back that Mourinho should have got us top 4 once he'd managed to close the gap to 3 points.
Yeah but from watching our post Lockdown and pre season games. You can see the difference in quality of our play, especially going forward when Son and Kane play than when they don't.
This is why I'll be fuming if we don't have a backup striker this season.

One thing I've really picked up from this series so far is just how important it is for players to be filled with confidence.

They're like a completely different set of lads when the heads are dropping but look at them after coming back to beat Olympiakos. Bouncing, smiling, full of it.

Just shows the importance of stringing wins together and just how much difference a win after a bad run can make.
That's in most walks of life.
But having worked in elite sport its even more imperative to have confidence when you are in a high pressure cooker like that.
Honestly these guys need a degree in managing emotions and juggling media etc. Especially in a social media world where someone can openly and directly abuse you. Dele alluded to it.

I know you follow cricket Goat, the England youth teams do a course on how to manage media and work with psychologists. I'm very interested in how many of the ex athletes with mental health problems are because of being but into a high pressure cooker environment before they have even left their parental home at age 16 and up. Dele is an extreme example of kid to superstar in 1 year. Sure as shit need to a have strong mindset and thick skin.

If you look at players in the pre season game, notice someone like Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett, these guys still haven't done their GCSE tests yet. They do get more psychological support but people also need to think twice before mindlessly criticising and swearing at young players.

Back
Top Bottom