Anderlecht vs Spurs 22 Oct

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm nervy as fuck about this one. They are a very good side & we don't glisten in Europe with our squad rotation. I reckon a draw would be a good result but we should go there tooled up with our best available XI. This is a competition to be proud of being in. It's not tinpot shite. It's the next best thing to the top table of European club football. Until/unless we can fight our way back to that top table through the league then we should go for this, because the reward of CL football for the winners is huge. All the CL teams dumped into this will want to win it because of what it means to win it nowadays unless they are a shoe in to finish in a CL spot domestically.

I'm nervy as fuck about this one. They are a very good side & we don't glisten in Europe with our squad rotation. I reckon a draw would be a good result but we should go there tooled up with our best available XI. This is a competition to be proud of being in. It's not tinpot shite. It's the next best thing to the top table of European club football. Until/unless we can fight our way back to that top table through the league then we should go for this, because the reward of CL football for the winners is huge. All the CL teams dumped into this will want to win it because of what it means to win it nowadays unless they are a shoe in to finish in a CL spot domestically.
We'll get out of the group, but we're not good enough to win it. All the talk of CL is bollocks unless we have a team good enough to make a dent in it. I think in a couple of years we might have that. Until then we should all back off about 4th, and CL, and look towards the development of the team.

We'll get out of the group, but we're not good enough to win it. All the talk of CL is bollocks unless we have a team good enough to make a dent in it. I think in a couple of years we might have that. Until then we should all back off about 4th, and CL, and look towards the development of the team.
I think our best, with a fully fit squad is good enough to win it. We've shown against man city what we're capable of. Unfortunately injuries have really hampered our recent results, especially Son. It's good that our defence has held up so we haven't dropped too many points.
If we were to have a fully fit team, we'd go far. Our ceiling really is pretty high, but I doubt we'll prioritise Europa League anyway. If we finish top of thr group, which I think we should, then we'll probably have a real crack at it. Would rather that, than another pursuit of 4th and finish 5th.

Can't disagree with that. But from the gutter you can look up to the stars or down the grid. I am getting starry eyed about a team built to tread water until we get our new stadium. It's got a lot going for it, this team. It needs a tweak here & there but the basics seem to be in place & it's going the right way. I'm genuinely optimistic.

I think our best, with a fully fit squad is good enough to win it. We've shown against man city what we're capable of. Unfortunately injuries have really hampered our recent results, especially Son. It's good that our defence has held up so we haven't dropped too many points.
If we were to have a fully fit team, we'd go far. Our ceiling really is pretty high, but I doubt we'll prioritise Europa League anyway. If we finish top of thr group, which I think we should, then we'll probably have a real crack at it. Would rather that, than another pursuit of 4th and finish 5th.
Fair enough, but injuries are a part of life, and we've had two draws since City. I like the Europa League. I like going to night games and l would love to go far in that competition, but l don't think I'm being negative in saying we're not quite good enough to win it and keep everyone happy in the league. We don't have a cutting edge in front of goal. If we'd bought another striker maybe, but we didn't, and that mistake is showing already.

Can't disagree with that. But from the gutter you can look up to the stars or down the grid. I am getting starry eyed about a team built to tread water until we get our new stadium. It's got a lot going for it, this team. It needs a tweak here & there but the basics seem to be in place & it's going the right way. I'm genuinely optimistic.
So am l, of course. All I'm saying is we don't yet have the team to compete in Europe and the league. That's the benchmark. I think Poch will throw away Europa, and go for the league. I don't blame him. The league is far from the usual order, and a decent team that's hard to beat will be in the mix in April.

Why not?

IMV the only reason we won't top the group is if we "over experiment" with team selection and either compromise the team quality or tactical structure.

Like the league cup, its a judgement call on the managerial layer to experiment enough to rest players and blood the young ones - without actually losing the game.........

or the fans......

Why not?

IMV the only reason we won't top the group is if we "over experiment" with team selection and either compromise the team quality or tactical structure.

Like the league cup, its a judgement call on the managerial layer to experiment enough to rest players and blood the young ones - without actually losing the game.........

or the fans......
Because we haven't got close in recent years. I don't believe the management take it seriously enough.

If the question is 'can we win it if that is the only trophy we are going for?' I'd say yes, we'd have an excellent chance, but not while trying to compete in the league. It's only my opinion mind, based on recent history.

Because we haven't got close in recent years. I don't believe the management take it seriously enough.

If the question is 'can we win it if that is the only trophy we are going for?' I'd say yes, we'd have an excellent chance, but not while trying to compete in the league. It's only my opinion mind, based on recent history.
fair comment, but its that whole "balancing act" conundrum

If the concept of the competition was less about whoring football out (CL drop out philosophy) and just left as an actual cup competition -I believe clubs like ours would take it totally seriously

rather than using it for rotation practice and letting the U21s have a bit of experience

Does anyone seriously question why Kane needs to sit out this game? Did you see our last, say, 3 games?
I do. He's a footballer, and an athlete. He should, and probably is, looking forward to play come Thursday. If he's that knackered, he should've been pulled out of the two dead rubber Euro games. In fact, I think he WOULD HAVE if that's what our fitness team thought was the case.

He might improve, simply because at present he is completely knackered.

I don't suggest resting him because he is low on confidence but because he is visibly drained.
You can keep making excuses for him, but he's 22 years old and only broke into our squad last November, therefore he hasn't even played a continuous 12 months of football yet and he's absolutely knackered come mid-October into a season where he did have a pre-season break as England crashed out of the U21 Euros very early.

Add to that the fitness that Poch drills into his players, I really have no reason to believe he needs a couple of weeks off.

Listening to Stan Collymore talk about this on TalkSport last night and I agree with him, after playing on the weekend, you'd be absolutely buzzing to play midweek, and the on the weekend again. It's their profession, it's what they do. Any player that would rather sit on the bench doesn't have the hunger or desire to succeed at this level. That is not Kane.

[formation=4231, LLoris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Alli, Dembele, Kane, Ericksen, N'jie][/formation]
Play Kane but I'd drop him into the N°10 slot to take some pressure off him.
Walker had a knock on Saturday so I would expect him to be rested, Lamela & Rose I've dropped based on their Saturday performances.
Personally I would expect Poch to field a strong side; the quicker we qualify for the next round the better.

They were beaten by Qarabag and held by Monaco. Currently third behind the powerhouses of Oostende and Gent.

We can't be going into this one nervy.

Anderlecht won't be easy. It was a shock that they lost to Qarabag but they're a decent team. Obviously lost two important players in the summer but Tielmans will still be a threat.

For all those that are anti-rotation: point I'd make is that it's not just about "resting" starters but also about giving "fringe" players minutes so that when we NEED them due to injury/suspension/(genuine) fatigue, they are more ready!

For all those that are anti-rotation: point I'd make is that it's not just about "resting" starters but also about giving "fringe" players minutes so that when we NEED them due to injury/suspension/(genuine) fatigue, they are more ready!
Yes, but fringe players are better utilised when given minutes with the first team, not when 8 or 9 players get rested. They gain very little from playing with every other fringe player 5 or 6 times a season. They need minutes in our strongest lineup.

Back
Top Bottom