Andre Villas-Boas Philosophy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andre Villas-Boas reflects on Tottenham tenure

.... Nice interview ...

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2012-13/may/avb-reflects-on-tottenham-tenure.html?

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Yeah, there's been lots written about his philosophy.

Boiling it down, it's attacking and possessive football, aimed at recycling possession efficiently by pressing heavily both in the attack and on defense, probing while in possession through lateral passing, then quickly translating that to vertical movement when an opportunity presents itself, with incisive attacking movement.
That's just a general description of how a football match is played, isn't it? I don't see any radical philosophy in there.

And yet the entire footballing world still won't shut up about our high defensive line.

Yeah, I don't really get that either. In the old days it was referred to as the offside trap.

The only thing that I have really noticed is the P A T I E N T build up play, as opposed to the more direct stick it down your neck style from 'Arry's tenure.

seems to work, but it might be more down to Bales ability to pull a rabbit from the hat, rather than a particular footballing ethos.

All the footballing tactics in the world are only as good as the 11 players out on the park, so if we don't have and retain good players, it won't mean shit in the long run.

Whatever it is he's doing, it seems to work - lets hope that Levy gives him the bullets to fire and opens the bank account up a bit. Mind you, if RM stump up the kind of figures being bandied around currently (the figure goes up like virgins in the afterlife for suicide bombers) for Bale, then we will be able to replace the stadium, buy a new team and lower the ST prices by 90%.

Yeah, I don't really get that either. In the old days it was referred to as the offside trap.

The only thing that I have really noticed is the P A T I E N T build up play, as opposed to the more direct stick it down your neck style from 'Arry's tenure.

seems to work, but it might be more down to Bales ability to pull a rabbit from the hat, rather than a particular footballing ethos.

All the footballing tactics in the world are only as good as the 11 players out on the park, so if we don't have and retain good players, it won't mean shit in the long run.
Too many of our results this season have been down to a moment of insanity (read Bale piledrivers) and there's two main reasons for this. The lack of a Modric/Carroll/Moutinho type player starting who can move the ball around in a quick and simple manner.

Then there's the lack of cohesive movement by players off the ball which has in the main been disrupted by Bale playing central/right for entire games which has disrupted and confused parts of the team. Bale still needs to learn how to move off the ball when playing these positions as he was too often no-where to be found in general play.

And lastly, a good tactical and systemised coach will have average players who play in a system (which is what tactics are) play greater than the sum of all 11 individual players.

Too many of our results this season have been down to a moment of insanity (read Bale piledrivers) and there's two main reasons for this. The lack of a Modric/Carroll/Moutinho type player starting who can move the ball around in a quick and simple manner.

Then there's the lack of cohesive movement by players off the ball which has in the main been disrupted by Bale playing central/right for entire games which has disrupted and confused parts of the team. Bale still needs to learn how to move off the ball when playing these positions as he was too often no-where to be found in general play.

And lastly, a good tactical and systemised coach will have average players who play in a system (which is what tactics are) play greater than the sum of all 11 individual players.
Yeah, Wimbledon proved that for years, and Greece did for a whole competition. However if you want to win anything or get a reasonable finish in the EPL, then you are going to need better than average players.

I'm not sure that I want Spurs to turn into Wimbledon.

I'm also not sure that Carroll is the answer either, but I'll be deliriously happy for him to prove me wrong

all we really missed last year was a lethal finisher ... we didn't stuff anyone last year (apart from Villa I suppose), which was reflected in our goal difference compared to the teams above us.

Yeah, Wimbledon proved that for years, and Greece did for a whole competition. However if you want to win anything or get a reasonable finish in the EPL, then you are going to need better than average players.

I'm not sure that I want Spurs to turn into Wimbledon.

I'm also not sure that Carroll is the answer either, but I'll be deliriously happy for him to prove me wrong

Didn't Greece win...

Never mind.

Yes, I tried to qualify it by saying EPL. I wasn't really all that clear. Sorry about that.
And to see a team greater than the sum of it's parts look no further than our newly crowned champions!
Then you can see what happens when 15 fantastic footballers group up without an underlying tactic/system in Man City.

And to see a team greater than the sum of it's parts look no further than our newly crowned champions!
Then you can see what happens when 15 fantastic footballers group up without an underlying tactic/system in Man City.
our? Norway or England?
I wouldn't say that a team containing Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Raphael, Carrick, Kagawa was exactly short on talent, skill or individual flair.

I got the impression that City's problem was more about a demotivated team not performing for an unpopular manager, rather than a tactical failing. Mancini didn't abandon his tactical policies from the preceding season, he just lost the confidence of his playing staff. So we are led to believe.

our? Norway or England?
I wouldn't say that a team containing Van Persie, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Raphael, Carrick, Kagawa was exactly short on talent, skill or individual flair.
Rooney passed over. Vidic, Evra, Carrick pushing the age limit. Kagawa not really fitting into their system.

They outperformed. It's all down to SAF.
I got the impression that City's problem was more about a demotivated team not performing for an unpopular manager, rather than a tactical failing. Mancini didn't abandon his tactical policies from the preceding season, he just lost the confidence of his playing staff. So we are led to believe.

Yuppers, although Mancini didn't really do them any favors. That flukey 3 at the back at the start of the season didn't help much, and frankly his substitutions were idiotic.

He was a poor man's Mourinho, relying on Arab-level spending in order to compete. His man-management was piss poor.

Frankly, probably the poorest of the elite-tier managers in Euro football at the moment. I think even Benitez edges him out.

Back
Top Bottom