Andre Villas-Boas Philosophy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I fucking loved AVBs first season.

Dembele/Sandro
That NLD win.
Beating Utd at Old Trafford.
That home win against City.
Vertonghens first season.
BALE

Loved it.

AVB = most boring football I have seen at the lane in my lifetime. Nothing personal against him but his football made my eyes bleed.

Sounds like he is boring the shit out of the Russians too:

AVB Preventing Zenit from Realising Potential

By: Michael Yokhin
http://www.espnfc.com/club/zenit-st...oas-preventing-zenit-from-realising-potential

So you think Chelsea are boring? Well, then you obviously haven't seen Zenit, have you?

They both have five games left to play, and both are virtually assured of finishing at the top of the table in their second season at the club. Just like Jose Mourinho at Chelsea, his former assistant, Andre Villas-Boas is cruising to the Russian Premier League title with Zenit St Petersburg.

Just like his mentor, he is disliked in various footballing circles. But unlike the Special One, who is loved at Stamford Bridge, there is a sense that the 37-year-old Portuguese is unpopular among his own team's fans. While Zenit, like Chelsea, clearly are the most consistent side in the RPL, their focus on just earning a winning result in league play and their performances in Europe has left a lot to be desired.

At the first glance, Zenit's statistics are quite normal, with 52 goals scored in 25 league matches. However, 12 of them were netted in the first two games of the season, when the Gazprom-sponsored giants thrashed newly promoted Woolwich Tula (4-0) and Torpedo Moscow (8-1). As the season progressed, Villas-Boas' approach became more and more negative.

Despite having the best attacking options in the league, Zenit usually play extremely defensive football once they go in front. Seven of their 18 wins were achieved by the dreaded 1-0 scoreline, including the all-important away win at champions CSKA Moscow in November, when Zenit parked the bus after Javi Garcia scored an extremely lucky goal on seven minutes. While watching Zenit in the second half of that fixture, their time-wasting was farcical at times because it was so blatant.

A very similar scenario was witnessed during Zenit's next visit to the Khimki Arena in March to face Dinamo Moscow. The league leaders won 1-0 thanks to an early strike by the ever excellent right-back Igor Smolnikov, and incredibly that was the only shot on target both teams managed to produce during the entire 90 minutes. What could in theory become a feast of attacking football between two quality sides, like in a dramatic 3-2 Zenit win over Dinamo back in September, was turned by Villas-Boas into an outrageously poor affair that was almost painful to watch.

That system is implemented even against inferior opponents. Last month when leading 2-1 at Terek Grozny, for example, Alex Witsel wasted the added time by moving around and covering the ball by the flag, as if almost like a dance. That didn't work out, and Zenit were punished when Torpedo, the side that was thrashed by seven clear goals in the summer, scored the equalizer moments before the final whistle. It was even worse when Woolwich Tula came back from 2-0 down in the last minutes of the last 16 fixture of the Russian Cup to win 3-2 in extra time, but more often than not Zenit's defence is stable, with the imperious Ezequiel Garay calling the shots.

The level of success was naturally much lower against quality opposition in Europe. In the Champions League, Zenit were drawn into a manageable group with Monaco, Benfica and Bayer Leverkusen, but only managed to find the net four times in six games. That was enough to beat the Eagles from Lisbon twice, in fixtures that were especially important for Villas-Boas, who made his name at Porto, but Zenit lost both fixtures to the attack-minded Germans and failed to score versus the solid defence of Monaco.

The failure was profound, but dropping into Europa League at least enabled the fans to dream of winning a continental trophy. That wasn't to be, and Zenit should have lost to Torino in the round of 16, when, after a rather fortunate 2-0 win at the Petrovsky Stadium, Villas-Boas parked the bus again in the return leg in Italy, without having a single shot on target. He had his goalkeeper Yuri Lodygin to thank that Torino could only manage one late goal, because they could have easily scored at least five.

The same mistake proved to be costlier at Sevilla in the quarterfinals. Zenit took the lead in the first half, but didn't cross the halfway line after the break, and eventually conceded two goals, richly deserved by the hosts who won no less than 22 corners. In the return leg in Russia last week it was Zenit who conceded an early goal, and they produced a great performance in the second half, nearly forcing an extra time, but that only made the fans' frustration more acute.

If their potential is so spectacular, why on earth do they fulfill it so rarely? Why is Zenit's game based on countless shots by Hulk from all distances, and an occasional clever pass by Danny? Where is the teamwork, as far as attacking football is concerned? Usually, it is nowhere to be seen.

It would have been interesting to know what the coach thinks about that, but Villas-Boas prefers not to discuss his tactics. Instead, he is busy criticizing referees. Most of the time, the Zenit coach claims that his team -- supported by the government's most powerful company, mind you -- are victims of unfair decisions. For example, the Portuguese blamed the men in black for both defeats versus Leverkusen, stating after the fiasco at the Petrovsky Stadium that Spaniard Alberto Undiano Mallenco "wasn't on the Champions League level". That was also his excuse for the 0-0 draw with Spartak Moscow in September, and the list goes on and on.

At the press conference following the 1-1 home draw with Rubin Kazan, Villas-Boas expectedly said: "A lot of fouls on Hulk went unnoticed by the referee. Our players are not protected, and a goal against us was scored from offside, but we are used to all that." When asked if he doesn't think that his attitude is wrong, the Portuguese reacted angrily, accusing the press of incompetence, and then left the scene.

Unsurprisingly, with such an influence, Zenit players often argue with referees. When the team is in front, that is one of their favourite time-wasting tactics, and that can hardly endear them to the fans.

As if all that negativity wasn't enough, Villas-Boas is clearly not on the same page with two of Zenit's most loved veteran stars, Aleksandr Kerzhakov and Andrey Arshavin. While the latter's form is indeed questionable, even though he performed brilliantly at center forward and scored in the aforementioned 3-2 win over Dinamo, the former is clearly very fit and raring to go. That was evident when Villas-Boas sent Kerzhakov on as a very late substitute in the game versus Rubin -- the striker very nearly scored almost immediately when his shot bounced off the bar. Incredibly, that was his only appearance on the field in the league since November. Zenit fans even staged a protest in the stands supporting Kerzhakov, who lost his place in the national team squad as a result of lack of playing time under Villas-Boas.

Arshavin has also been left wanting -- his only two appearances in 2015 lasted seven minutes in total. When asked about it after the goalless draw with Kuban, Villas-Boas simply replied: "I am making substitutions when I find the timing right, and not according to someone else's wishes."

At times, it looks like the former Chelsea and Tottenham boss is determined to irritate as many people as possible. If that is his goal, he is doing a good job. In a recent interview to Sport Express, Boris Chukhlov, the former Zenit striker who was part of the squad that won the historic first title in 1984, claimed that "Villas-Boas is the worst Zenit coach in recent memory".

"I don't want to talk about him. His games are awful. The results are achieved, but all the game is based on individual actions of Hulk and Danny. This is boring. It is evident that there are less fans in the stands as time goes on. I understand that Villas-Boas learned from Mourinho, but Mourinho's teams are not only rational, but also capable of spectacular football. Zenit are just torturing fans," Chukhlov said.

In a poll conducted by Sport Express, Zenit fans were asked to name the best foreign coach in the club's history. Dick Advocaat, who won the first Russian title in 2007 and UEFA Cup in 2008, was the big winner with 48 percent of the votes. Vlastimil Petrzela, the likable Czech who worked in the pre-Gazprom era in the beginning of the 2000s, got 22 percent. Luciano Spalletti, whose popularity nosedived towards the end of mostly successful spell, was chosen by 10 percent of the fans.

Villas-Boas, who is about to win the title by a huge margin, received just five percent of the vote. That says it all. An outsider might be surprised to hear that, but the Portuguese can hardly be less popular nowadays, be it in St Petersburg or anywhere else in Russia. Compared to his Zenit, Chelsea are hugely entertaining.

In his defence he did real well with Marseille last season.

But Marseille are the definition of a chaos club. A owner that is not present, a president and board that do whatever they feel like and don't keep in touch with the manager about player transfers etc. And we all know that AVB can only handle a certain amount of chaos and pressure before he cracks.

Their season so far has been real chaotic, this week in particular with fans storming the training center and setting things on fire.
He's dead right. It's his job on the line.

I can't believe that any manager would accept the board signing a player against their wishes,

Which is why I don't believe all the "He was a Levy signing" bollocks. Maybe a youth team player, fair enough, but a 1st teamer. No way Pedro.

I don't know if AVB will ever be "successful" in football, but he may end up the happiest man to ever be a manager of top flight football. You can tell he very much regards it merely as a profession that affords him a life he very much enjoys - the opportunity to experience the world and develop relationships with a wide variety of people from dozens of cultures.

Football is definitely an interest to him, but not something through which he defines himself. I think this is why I'll always like AVB, even if he oversaw some dreadful football at Tottenham...I find him fascinating and admirable.

I don't know if AVB will ever be "successful" in football, but he may end up the happiest man to ever be a manager of top flight football. You can tell he very much regards it merely as a profession that affords him a life he very much enjoys - the opportunity to experience the world and develop relationships with a wide variety of people from dozens of cultures.

Football is definitely an interest to him, but not something through which he defines himself. I think this is why I'll always like AVB, even if he oversaw some dreadful football at Tottenham...I find him fascinating and admirable.

I'll always admire AVB just for the fact he brought Lloris, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Lamela and Dembele to the club. All of which have provided us with so much joy over the years.

And THAT Bale season. First win at OT, beat Woolwich and City in great fashion etc.

Shame his football wasn't enjoyable. Did make us relatively hard to beat at times through his tenure though.

Another fine piece by John Crace...

Spurs get passing grade, but need to be less passive

Towards the end of Sunday's game, it felt like the good old times were back. Andros Townsend was giving Antonio Luna, the Villa left back, a game he would rather forget, beating him at will and setting up a handful of chances for himself and the rest of Spurs attack.

Aaron Lennon, back from injury, was stretching Villa out on the left and Spurs were cruising to a comfortable 2-0 win. Apart from one free header from Christian Benteke shortly after he had come on as sub, Villa barely mustered a worthwhile attack and never threatened a comeback once Roberto Soldado had put Spurs two up.

Yet Spurs were fairly poor for much of the first half. Andre Villas-Boas talks a good game about direct, incisive passing, but for all Spurs' possession the first 45 minutes, most of the passing was between the back four. There was no fluency going forward from midfield, as Villa found it all too easy to contain Spurs' attacking instincts.

Spurs were just about worth the goal advantage at half-time, but it had been hard to see where one was likely to come from before Townsend's 31st-minute cross evaded Lewis Holtby and Soldado and went straight into the net.

AVB can point to the result, saying the ends justify the means; that Villa wore themselves out trying to negate Spurs' possession football in the first hour, leaving Spurs in total control and plenty of free spaces in the last 30 minutes. But that's half the story. The key change in the game came when Lennon replaced Sigurddsson.

Sigurdsson has many virtues -- including scoring some vital goals already this season -- but he doesn't have the pace of the style of a left winger: when he starts in that position, as he did on Sunday, Spurs have few genuine attacking options down the left-hand side.

Small wonder then that Spurs' tight passing game broke down so often in the first half; Villa knew that the only real threat was coming from Townsend and could double up on him.

When Lennon came on, Villa were enjoying their brief and only moment of dominance in the game: the crowd sensed something might be building for the home team and got behind them. Lennon changed that. Not because he was particularly great: he's still a little rusty after being out injured and it showed. He was a danger, merely because he was there.

Villa didn't dare attack so freely because they knew they could be caught out by the pace of both Lennon and Townsend. Nor could they put two men on each player. Having two wingers can be as effective a defensive move as it is an attacking one.

Credit to AVB for recognising the potential of using both wingers -- and for having a Plan B, something which some of us had begun to doubt -- but it would be a better option to start against Hull next weekend with Townsend and Lennon.

Hull will come to defend, and if Spurs try to work the ball through tight spaces in the middle of the ground rather than stretch them wide, it could play into the opposition's hands.

Lennon apart, though, it is beginning to look as if AVB is beginning to make a statement about what he thinks his best team is. This is not good news for Kyle Naughton or Ezekiel Fryers, both of whom have failed to impress when given a chance in Danny Rose's absence.

AVB would clearly rather play Jan Vertonghen in the centre of defence -- one senses that the Belgian would rather play there too -- but an out of position Vertonghen is a safer bet than the alternatives. Spurs still might regret loaning Benoit Assou-Ekotto to QPR.

Meanwhile, the sight of Sandro replacing Mousa Dembele alongside Paulinho has been long overdue. The Brazilian barely put a foot wrong all game and Dembele looked far more effective as a substitute than he does as a member of the starting XI. All Spurs need is a bit more fluency and self-belief. If Sunday's second-half display is the marker, then they have found a style that just might suit. When Christian Eriksen hits his stride, things could really begin to tick.

Remember this. Woolwich are top of the table and playing just about as well as they could expect. Spurs, with a tougher fixture list and plenty of room still for improvement, are just three points behind. The message from Sunday is clear. Tactical, possession football is a great starting point and should guarantee Spurs don't lose to bottom or mid-table teams. But if they want to beat the very best, Spurs have to be more fearless. Play wide, play free, play bold.

I read this over at SC ... so, thanks to Olliec for posting it.
It's pretty loooong, but it's thoroughly a brilliant read.

A great piece written by a friend of mine and I would be interested to see what peoples opinions are because I agree with him.

It has been several months since I last opened my heart to you fine folk. The world has changed. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!

Yes it’s true, this man has no dick!

Ghostbusters references aside, last season for Spurs was always going to be a bit of a weird one. It was a case of AVB making do with what was at his disposal, and as such it got a bit messy. Sandro’s injury was unquestionably a defining moment in our season and our football suffered from that point on. Weaknesses in the squad were fairly obvious but there was little that could be done. From Christmas onwards, a certain Welshman took it upon himself to win matches. Whether it was through boredom or just showing off, he was pinging in shots from all over the place. Some argue that it was yet another capitulation, others claim that we were overachieving anyway. Either way, the top 4 was certainly not something that should have been expected.

I wouldn’t say that I lost interest last season, rather there was no real need for analysis. Especially the high-level, expert analysis that I offer. Our shortcomings were obvious, as was the fact that this was the start of a huge transition. There was no point reading too much into it as it was going to be changed and fuck me was it changed.

This was a summer like no other for Spurs fans, certainly those who have been fans for the past 20 or so years. For a long time we’ve been used to a fair amount of transfer activity, but all of it based on turning a profit or finding a bargain. There has been a lot of frustration aimed at Levy and ENIC for not taking more chances earlier, but this summer would suggest that it was always part of a masterplan. Levy didn’t trust ‘Arry. The tax man didn’t trust ‘Arry. Arguably Levy didn’t initially trust AVB either, so was a bit more cagey about the signings. This summer, however, was pretty substantial proof that both Levy and ENIC believe AVB is the man to handle our transition into “the big time”. You know, THE BIG TIME! No? Me neither.

Anyway, the spending this summer was relentless. Our transfer record was broken 3 times in one window and we signed some genuine talent. The squad was filled up with options that meant we could look beyond just the starting 11. It would also mean that we would no longer be crippled by one or two injuries in certain places. That isn’t to suggest that we still can’t be hobbled by injuries in the right places, just the chances of it affecting our game plan were reduced considerably.

It has been a strange start to the season as far as performances go. I think based on the signings that everyone expected us to come flying out of the blocks, playing magnificent football that both impressed and aroused fans all over the world. That was always going to be wishful thinking and I’m rather stunned that so many fans are surprised at the slow start. I’m even more surprised at the level of negativity in relation to this slow start. I’ll try to put things in perspective.

Last summer we signed Sigurdsson, Vertonghen, Dembele, Dempsey and Lloris (with Holtby joining in January). This summer we have signed Lamela, Eriksen, Chiriches, Capoue, Soldado, Chadli and Paulinho. Now add our two returning loan youngsters, Rose and Townsend, who are playing their first full season for us. It’s also worth mentioning that we also have Kaboul and Sandro coming back from long term injuries. Those injuries aside, and Deuce going back to the motherland, that is 14 new first team players being introduced in the space of just over a year. Ok so let’s put that figure to one side for a moment and continue on our quest for truth.

AVB plays a very different system to ‘Arry. This system was not fully implementable last season due to the lack of players who would fit this system. This meant in theory that we were playing with some sort of hybrid system to attempt to make the best out of the players that he had at his disposal. This season, however, the players have been signed to fit into the system that AVB ultimately wants to play.
Still awake? Ok. Hang in there.

So, last season we were not fully playing the system AVB wanted due to the players available. This combined with the 6 new players put into that temporary system (as well as the old players obviously). Cool? Cool. So as well as now adapting that system for the 5 remaining players of that 6 this season, it is also being beaten into the new 7 players, the 2 new returning youngsters, the 2 players returning from long term injuries, and the old players. Additionally there is the obvious bedding in period required for most foreign players who move to the PL, which is generally more difficult for younger players of which we have signed several.

So in summary…

14 new players + 2 long term injury returnees + new system = A rather valid reason for patience

I’ve been quite ashamed by some of the comments and attitudes of Spurs fans over the last few weeks who appear to be angrily announcing that they’re not impressed or entertained enough. Perhaps we should wear sparkly outfits and tame lions in the 6 yard box when the ball is out of play, or get Miley Cyrus to dry-hump AVB on the touchline while licking Steffen’s elbow. Personally I think Hugo would look rather dashing in a ringmaster outfit, top hat and all. I also hear that the effects of licking Steffen’s elbow are similar to a shot of liquid LSD straight to the anus.

I have no issue at all with people being bored watching some of the games we’ve played in, I have been too. What I do have an issue with is people assuming that we have no intention of improving the quality of the football and that we’re actively trying to play in a system that goes against everything we stand for. Is it truly that difficult to believe that what we’re witnessing now is a natural by-product of the changes that we’re going through, and a necessary part of reaching our goal?

I suppose the real question is this. Do we want to be entertained or successful? Over the past few years our expectation of success has increased dramatically with no thought to what is actually required to achieve it. Not only achieve it, but maintain it. It’s almost as though we were dreaming that our exciting style of play would be sufficient to reach the upper echelons and stay there. I’m sorry to break it to you, chaps, but it isn’t. It might well have been in the good ol’ days, when the philosophy was forged in the fires of Mount Doom, and players weren’t the machines that they are today. However if we genuinely want to compete at the top, we will need to make some compromises. This doesn’t mean binning our identity and our way of playing football, but I do think that it needs to be adjusted to fit the game as it is today. This will mean having to do the ugly stuff at times. I personally believe that we can be both entertaining and successful, but it will take time.

I remember so many Spurs fans laughing at Chelsea because AVB was tasked with an overhaul of their squad and the style of play and was dumped after only a few months for trying to do exactly that. Oh how we laughed that they did not have the patience to see it through. I specifically remember a few conversations with Spurs and Chelsea fans that went along the lines of “AVB was given 3 years to complete this overhaul project, and you binned him after 6 months”. Guess what, AVB also signed a 3 year deal with us yet I’m seeing the exact same behavior with Spurs fans. Yes AVB has been with us longer now than he was with Chelsea, but it is this season that he truly has what he wants at his disposal and can really start to do what he wants. Alright it might not be exactly what he wants, but it’s as close as we’re going to get.

We waited what? 18/19 years of PL football to get into the CL for the first time? And for many of those years the football was generally shit. I’m pretty sure that we can wait 1 more season before making assumptions and/or judgements about the current team and management. Give AVB, the system and the new players the chance to get to grips with what is being asked of them without the constant moans and groans that they are currently enduring. We’re better than that. If I’m wrong at the end of the season, so be it, but we can at least give the team our full backing until that point. That is the only thing we, as fans, can control and we’re failing miserably at it.

Follow the blog at:
http://www.thesecretnonfootballer.co.uk/

However once his ideas started to click into place we could all see what he was trying to do.

This was always the key for me. You can see the plan, or at least a feel for the plan - and can see how we are building toward it.

Last season wasnt spectacular at all, but we saw a team building toward a 433, toward being hard to beat, toward final 3rd possession... and while it wasnt especially exciting it actually bore fruit - in so much as a record points haul.

With the business and the start to this season we can see another step forward in "the plan". Thats what is encouraging, thats what we can believe in.

Funny thing is, "The plan" looks like it could be pretty dull when its complete, its death by a thousand cuts - possession - dont lose football for the most part. Doesnt scream "swashbuckling Spurs" at all. However, I am more than happy with that because I believe its what top teams are made of.

This was always the issue I had with Redknapp. I didnt see a plan of any description, it always seemed reactive and not proactive. It certainly made for some memorable games, and there is no denying under Redknapp we established a higher "base line" for the team - but I could never shake the feeling of "Is this it?" instead of "I can see where this is heading"

The variance in performance with Redknapp was much wider, were sublime and we were ridiculous, often in the same game.

And because of the lasting memory of some amazing performances (undeniable) I think people forget that the majority of games with us were actually relatively poor. Good in possession, lacking ideas, often lacking a basic template/system and relying on individual brilliance because we lacked the ability to win by design.

With AVB the variance is much narrower. Im not sure we will ever perform as well as we did under Redknapp at our best, but equally I am pretty damn sure we will never be as bad...

neg rep me because you weren't at a game,
way to go sunshine!

IF you had a fucking clue and were there you'd know Redknapp fucked up.
I know that might hurt your precious sensitivity over him but in this instance that's what happened.

Playing for a fucking draw when you need a champs league spot.

He was quite derogatory about us after he left... Why now is he suddenly posting old pics and leaching off our current good vibes?

Fuck off, fraud!

Back
Top Bottom