Andre Villas-Boas Philosophy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rooney passed over. Vidic, Evra, Carrick pushing the age limit. Kagawa not really fitting into their system.

They outperformed. It's all down to SAF.

Yuppers, although Mancini didn't really do them any favors. That flukey 3 at the back at the start of the season didn't help much, and frankly his substitutions were idiotic.

He was a poor man's Mourinho, relying on Arab-level spending in order to compete. His man-management was piss poor.

Frankly, probably the poorest of the elite-tier managers in Euro football at the moment. I think even Benitez edges him out.
Oookayy

Thanks for all that.

Rooney passed over. Vidic, Evra, Carrick pushing the age limit. Kagawa not really fitting into their system.

They outperformed. It's all down to SAF.
United have their best squad (in terms of depth) for a long time IMO. It's not 'all down to Sir Alex' - the players might have something to say about that.

They'll be a force to reckon with next season.

I'm not sure they will. There will be a definite bedding in period, and there are some gaping holes in that United team that still haven't been addressed.
The only holes in the team that I see are in the central midfield positions. They have Carrick and Cleverly there for them already and only need one decent signing to sure it up and ensure that they are able to compete next season. Fletcher should be back for them next season as a squad player and Phil Jones looks like he's being moulded as a defensive midfielder for tricky away fixtures. Elsewhere they have two quality players in each position on the field, and have the best striker in the league.

There will be a bedding in process, which is why Moyes will be working hard this summer to ensure that the switch is as smooth as possible. I think they will do well, but of course will face stiff opposition from Chelsea and City if they plan to spend big.

I think Chelsea and City without spending a penny, but having got Mourinho and Pellegrini in respectively will be stiff opposition for the title. When you consider that they will certainly splash the cash as well personally I think they will run away with it.

Chelsea/City way ahead, Utd (if Moyes hits the ground running, of which I have my doubts) in 3rd a good way ahead of 4th.

Us, Woolwich and Liverpool going tooth and nail for 4th...

Us, Woolwich and Liverpool going tooth and nail for 4th...

I really can't see Liverpool challenging for 4th yet, especially with Suarez wanting a move, his mind won't be in the right place, but if he stays, I really doubt these '1 man team' performances will happen again for sure.

And who have they signed that's really that good enough to get them 4th? Aspas? A not as good Kolo Toure? And Mignolet, when they already had a better keeper when on form in Reina. Nahhhhhhhhh!!

They have a system of play, a pretty good one, and have been adding depth to the squad.

Organised teams able to cope with the length of the season always do well in the premiership, they are consistent and tend to earn points reasonably well.

They do also have some genuine talent to call on.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think they will be amazing - but I certainly wouldnt be writing them off either.

There is plenty of time for them to make one or two key buys to change the complexion of that side dramatically as well.

"Can’t you use your defensive midfielder to introduce a surprise factor in the match? Let’s say, first he passes horizontally and then, suddenly, vertical penetration"
Poo Poo seems to like to do this more than Sandro. Andre's targets this summer tell you exactly what kind of game he wants to play.
article-2408603-1B91F86F000005DC-453_634x419.jpg

I'm not a Redknapp fan (as a person) but he was far more tactically astute than he made himself out to be.

Great interview find though, and I love the fact that we've got a manager who thinks about the game in those terms. Whether he could pull it off in the Premier league has always been in question but the first few games of this season have left me in no doubt that he's making significant progress.

I'm not a Redknapp fan (as a person) but he was far more tactically astute than he made himself out to be.

Great interview find though, and I love the fact that we've got a manager who thinks about the game in those terms. Whether he could pull it off in the Premier league has always been in question but the first few games of this season have left me in no doubt that he's making significant progress.

Redknapp WAS tactically astute but didn't like doing his homework - we'd set up with a similar team to the one that ended the last game, he'd make changes at half time and we'd play to win. Quite often, the team was labouring as we got to the half, though.

There was something very Spursy about being 1-0 down at the half and completely unfazed by it, though.

...and there's something distinctly UNSpursy about being 1-0 UP at half-time, and totally in control of the situation..... The fans feeling relaxed, (relatively) safe in the knowledge that we'd add to that in the 2nd half and put the game to bed!!

Back
Top Bottom