Andre Villas-Boas Philosophy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm fine with his philosophy and the coorelating preferred tactics

My concern is his lack of "Plan B" when those tactics clearly aren't working. He seems to be a bit rigid and is a bit slow to react when the need for Plan B is obvious to most
(i.e. West Ham)

Plus, outside of Bale, his attacking preferences has not translated to productivity from most of the players. Granted , players need to adapt and there is an adjustment period for new players, but scoring goals represents the true efficiency of the attack. It's been lacking across the board.

Again. Still believe in the man and I'm behind him. But all fair call outs

And who were also looking to secure premiership survival.

i'm not having that.

the first and only time i've seen a side break from a spurs corner, get to the halfway line AND TURN BACK. Turn fucking back from attacking!

reknapp fucked up big time that day, so please less of the re-writing of history

i'm not having that.

the first and only time i've seen a side break from a spurs corner, get to the halfway line AND TURN BACK. Turn fucking back from attacking!

reknapp fucked up big time that day, so please less of the re-writing of history

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17885326
Tottenham squandered the chance to reclaim third spot as Aston Villa all but secured their Premier League safety with a vital point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17976162

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish was delighted to secure Premier League survival with a draw against Tottenham.

#BURIED

neg rep me because you weren't at a game,
way to go sunshine!

IF you had a fucking clue and were there you'd know Redknapp fucked up.
I know that might hurt your precious sensitivity over him but in this instance that's what happened.

Playing for a fucking draw when you need a champs league spot.

way to go sunshine!

I know that might hurt your precious sensitivity over him but in this instance that's what happened.

haha talking about precious sensitivity after that little rant has to be for comedic effect I'm guessing?

crying.gif

way to go sunshine!

Redknapp fucked up with the subs but we still battered them that day mate. Should of had enough to get all 3 points and even their goal was a fluke 35 yard deflected effort. The last 10/15 minutes was disappointing though especially against a side, like you said, who had little ambition on going for a winning goal.

Is AVB going to get slated until the end of time for the Chadli sub instead of bringing on Sandro like Redknapp still is for the Parker sub?

Birthday boy Villas-Boas deserves fans' patience

Thursday is Andre Villas-Boas' 36th birthday. I celebrate this fact because as someone who is already 36, it makes me feel slightly less old when our ages are aligned.

Most football fans remember the first player to turn out for their team who was younger than them -- mine was Rory Allen. If you're still harbouring dreams of one day turning out for your heroes, the day when a younger player beats you to it is when that dream should finally be put to bed.

- Crace: Three into one a no go

So those of you who are blissfully sitting in the 35-and-under age bracket, imagine for a minute how old it makes you feel when the team manager is someone that you would have been able to bully at school. Suddenly, playing Football Manager seems a facile waste of my time.

When you think about Villas-Boas and how remarkably young he is, it puts a lot of things in perspective.

Earlier this week I wrote about how AVB could learn from Alex Ferguson when it came to squad rotation. What I didn’t add was that Ferguson has had almost twice as long on the planet to figure things out.

We should also never forget that Villas-Boas had no playing career before he became a manager. Most new bosses have spent years as a player learning what to do -- and what not to -- from the various managers they have worked under.

AVB missed out on this education. Aside from a brief spell in charge of the British Virgin Islands aged 21, his managerial career only really began in 2009, when he was appointed head coach of Academica. Prior to that, Villas-Boas was not much more than a glorified scout under Jose Mourinho. Their falling out stemmed from AVB's desire to become more involved in the coaching of players at Inter Milan.

Villas-Boas had studied as a student of the game, but as recently as four years ago, he had relatively little experience as a teacher of football. Taking this into account, his ascent has been as remarkable as it's been rapid.

Is it any wonder then that mistakes have been made along the way? Villas-Boas is not just an inexperienced manager, he is an inexperienced man. His failure to get to grips with a Chelsea dressing room containing many players who were his contemporaries, was an understandable one.

There has been much for AVB to learn in a short period of time. As you would expect, it's a work in progress and hard lessons are being learned. Villas-Boas has and continues to make mistakes at Tottenham: Kyle Naughton gets picked at left-back. Tactical errors are made and left unaddressed until it's too late.

As fans, we moan because supporting a football team is anything but rational. Anything but considered. Yet it we take a moment to reflect, on this, the birthday of Villas-Boas, then it becomes clear that here is a manager who deserves the most patience that we can muster.

What he's done so far in his short career is uniquely brilliant. What's even better news is that he can only get better.

AVB might be the one who is celebrating the birthday, however, it is his young age that serves as a present to every Spurs fan on this day.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tottenham/id/1534?&cc=5901

@ SinghYid SinghYid
Little too much focus on his time with JM and too little about the time with Sir Bobby imo. He did some teaching and scouting when Robson understood he was too good to just be an interpertor. You also have to teach football and show you have an understanding of it during badges education.

All in all a good article though, and I'm thoroughly in the give him ~5years or more should he not want it/not destroy us.

Another fine piece by John Crace...

Spurs get passing grade, but need to be less passive

Towards the end of Sunday's game, it felt like the good old times were back. Andros Townsend was giving Antonio Luna, the Villa left back, a game he would rather forget, beating him at will and setting up a handful of chances for himself and the rest of Spurs attack.

Aaron Lennon, back from injury, was stretching Villa out on the left and Spurs were cruising to a comfortable 2-0 win. Apart from one free header from Christian Benteke shortly after he had come on as sub, Villa barely mustered a worthwhile attack and never threatened a comeback once Roberto Soldado had put Spurs two up.

Yet Spurs were fairly poor for much of the first half. Andre Villas-Boas talks a good game about direct, incisive passing, but for all Spurs' possession the first 45 minutes, most of the passing was between the back four. There was no fluency going forward from midfield, as Villa found it all too easy to contain Spurs' attacking instincts.

Spurs were just about worth the goal advantage at half-time, but it had been hard to see where one was likely to come from before Townsend's 31st-minute cross evaded Lewis Holtby and Soldado and went straight into the net.

AVB can point to the result, saying the ends justify the means; that Villa wore themselves out trying to negate Spurs' possession football in the first hour, leaving Spurs in total control and plenty of free spaces in the last 30 minutes. But that's half the story. The key change in the game came when Lennon replaced Sigurddsson.

Sigurdsson has many virtues -- including scoring some vital goals already this season -- but he doesn't have the pace of the style of a left winger: when he starts in that position, as he did on Sunday, Spurs have few genuine attacking options down the left-hand side.

Small wonder then that Spurs' tight passing game broke down so often in the first half; Villa knew that the only real threat was coming from Townsend and could double up on him.

When Lennon came on, Villa were enjoying their brief and only moment of dominance in the game: the crowd sensed something might be building for the home team and got behind them. Lennon changed that. Not because he was particularly great: he's still a little rusty after being out injured and it showed. He was a danger, merely because he was there.

Villa didn't dare attack so freely because they knew they could be caught out by the pace of both Lennon and Townsend. Nor could they put two men on each player. Having two wingers can be as effective a defensive move as it is an attacking one.

Credit to AVB for recognising the potential of using both wingers -- and for having a Plan B, something which some of us had begun to doubt -- but it would be a better option to start against Hull next weekend with Townsend and Lennon.

Hull will come to defend, and if Spurs try to work the ball through tight spaces in the middle of the ground rather than stretch them wide, it could play into the opposition's hands.

Lennon apart, though, it is beginning to look as if AVB is beginning to make a statement about what he thinks his best team is. This is not good news for Kyle Naughton or Ezekiel Fryers, both of whom have failed to impress when given a chance in Danny Rose's absence.

AVB would clearly rather play Jan Vertonghen in the centre of defence -- one senses that the Belgian would rather play there too -- but an out of position Vertonghen is a safer bet than the alternatives. Spurs still might regret loaning Benoit Assou-Ekotto to QPR.

Meanwhile, the sight of Sandro replacing Mousa Dembele alongside Paulinho has been long overdue. The Brazilian barely put a foot wrong all game and Dembele looked far more effective as a substitute than he does as a member of the starting XI. All Spurs need is a bit more fluency and self-belief. If Sunday's second-half display is the marker, then they have found a style that just might suit. When Christian Eriksen hits his stride, things could really begin to tick.

Remember this. Woolwich are top of the table and playing just about as well as they could expect. Spurs, with a tougher fixture list and plenty of room still for improvement, are just three points behind. The message from Sunday is clear. Tactical, possession football is a great starting point and should guarantee Spurs don't lose to bottom or mid-table teams. But if they want to beat the very best, Spurs have to be more fearless. Play wide, play free, play bold.

I've been writing a lot about that in the Match chat during the last few games. Siggy's positioning is hurting our attack very much. It's easy to defend two thirds of the pitch, and that's what everyone has been doing against us. He offers no threat down the left flank, at all.
With Rose in the team, this has been less obvious, since he can pace down and curl them in from there.

I defended Siggy in his first season for Spurs, it's easy to see his qualities on the ball and his cracking right foot. However, on the left flank for Spurs, I do not see him benefitting the team much.

I still think we have too many similar players for ONE position...

In no particular order (of quality) you could argue that Eriksen, Siggy, Holtby and Lamela could all play 'in the hole' (and that's not even taking Kane's preferred position into account!)

Basically, 4 into 1 really doesn't fit... and if those players ARE to get game time, then at least 2 or 3 of them will be playing out of their preferred position (Siggy & Lamela spring to mind) and of the other 2, (Holtby & Eriksen) whilst they may be playing in their best position behind the main striker, they are just having to be patient to get a proper run of consecutive games, while AVB rotates. (which I don't really have a problem with, it's good to keep everyone involved)

Either way, it means we may not get to see the best of ANY of them until one really pushes on and cements his place, making him impossible to drop! (at one stage this season, I think we all felt it would be Eriksen... then Wet Sham happened!)

Back
Top Bottom