Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dear God I hope that's bravado (about a set piece coach)

If we're going to improve that's like a priority.

Anyway on the match I don't think tactics were a problem, created enough chances to win but we were naive and they killed us on our weak spots brutally.

Not looking at the coach today and asking questions
I would bet my house on it not being bravado.

This man has come out multiple times saying he doesn't believe in having a coach for set pieces.

Honestly, this was my fear from day one appointing him, sure we have had some great football at times but it's all very tactically naive and was bound to run into a brick wall in a league like this where teams figure you out quickly if you can't adapt.

It feels, to me at least, that Ange is the kind of man who is stuck in his ways and will not budge on matters like this and I think that's why it's pointless giving him huge backing next season, it's a choice, you either keep spending money and throwing better players at it until it works or you just hire a better coach, one that knows how to get his team to defend and understands the importance of you know...set piece coaching and basic issues like that.

In short, he has one way of playing and that’s it.

Wide forwards, inverted fullbacks, high line aggressive football.

When you have far better players than everyone else, it’s easy.

When you have average players like us, and shitty attackers, it sucks.
That may be true but it has nothing to do with having an issue at set pieces.

He states it’s not an issue because we have to “understand where we are as a team” which I would interpret to mean that we have a lot to work on all over the pitch. I don’t disagree with this but to claim that we shouldn’t be concerned with our set piece defending because we also have other issues is a sad attempt at deflecting, imv.

He goes on to mention that they had 4 shots, 3 scored in the first half. 2/3 were from set pieces so I’m finding it difficult to believe we shouldn’t be concerned with our set piece defending.

The “process” was a piss take comment regarding Woolwich I wasn’t suggesting Postecoglou was undertaking a “process” he is hopefully steering us out of the dirge that we injured under Conte & Mourinho but it’s gone Pete Tong for whatever reason…. stubborness will be his downfall at the this level if he doesn’t rectify it and rectify it PDQ
Fair enough mate, personally I think we've seen enough to know this gaffer isn't at the required level.

A lot of bullshit spoken last summer about how "all Spurs fans want is a team that entertains, regardless of the result". We were portrayed as a fanbase that would clap and cheer if players were balancing the ball on the end of their nose even if we were 5-2 down. Just absolute lies.

I do not accept that we as a club need to choose between having a team that looks to be proactive and being a little more tactically sophisticated. We can have both.

And I really hope this manager is the one to do that. It's just that we need to see it sooner rather than later.
Agreed fully but I disagree with the last sentence, this manager has shown little to suggest he can supply both.

The problem is hes got no plan B. Same system same players week after week regardless of what is happening

Because he's trying to get his players to play a certain way, regardless of opposition right now.

Repetition, repetition, repetition

Is crucial in football. What we're seeing is a squad currently not capable of doing so, but with few bright sparks.

We saw it with Klopp. Regardless of having Lovren at the back, regardless of having Moreno and Clyne at full back. Emre Can in midfield, they were always going to play the way he wanted.

I saw a Klopp Liverpool team get absolutely fucking destroyed 4-1 by us at Wembley. He didn't change his philosophy because of it. He kept at it, got rid of those who didn't cut the mustard and brought in those he knew could make a difference.

Ange has got plenty wrong this season, got plenty right. But I'm much more interested in how we evolve under him over the next season. Because he has now had 12 months of seeing this squad and what they're capable of and what it's lacking.

Totally agree. That's why I dont really care if he goes. The most important thing this summer is we buy some good players.

I think he gets two more seasons to get things sorted out. It's possible, despite how the season is finishing up, that his system will click next season and he'll be here awhile longer than that. It's like what they say about walking into the woods. At some point you can't turn around and you have to try to walk through to the other side. That's where Spurs are with Postecoglou. Too far in to turn back, might as well walk on through and see where we come out.

Because he's trying to get his players to play a certain way, regardless of opposition right now.

Is crucial in football. What we're seeing is a squad currently not capable of doing so, but with few bright sparks.

We saw it with Klopp. Regardless of having Lovren at the back, regardless of having Moreno and Clyne at full back. Emre Can in midfield, they were always going to play the way he wanted.

I saw a Klopp Liverpool team get absolutely fucking destroyed 4-1 by us at Wembley. He didn't change his philosophy because of it. He kept at it, got rid of those who didn't cut the mustard and brought in those he knew could make a difference.

Ange has got plenty wrong this season, got plenty right. But I'm much more interested in how we evolve under him over the next season. Because he has now had 12 months of seeing this squad and what they're capable of and what it's lacking.
I know they've fallen off at the tail end this season, but to compare a manager who won the title in germany twice with Dortmund then took them to the CL final before winning the title & CL here with a manager who can only claim to have won in Australia, Japan & Scotland is fucking outrageous.

What has he got "plenty right" this season?

Why does he deserve another season, is it because he says the right things in pressers??

A lot of our fans haven’t got the bollocks for the time and sometimes pain it takes to build a side to compete. Just expect a straight curve upward and when it obviously doesn’t work like that retreat to the happy place of a managerial change where we can fantasise about how it’s going to take off and there’s no bumps in the road.

The manager could of made us harder to beat today. Sat everyone behind the ball but long term that’s not good for the mentality of a team that wants to compete/win

Without a change in finances as a club we will probably always be this irrespective of manager. Maybe Lange, Paratici combo over time will build an elite squad but it’s tough.
Yep. I think we're stuck in this position. Which isn't a terrible one to be in given the entire football pyramid! I just don't get the baseless optimism.

It's obvious this season was getting the players to not be afraid to play a certain way. They've been drilled to playing fucking negative football for years and for some of them never touched Prem football before.

They'll be driven tactically in the summer, now the base is there. You can trace this back with every single Ange team and how much the second seasons of his teams are alot better tactically and defensively. But also alot more comfortable

But as usual, recruitment needs to be key.
I just think there are basic flaws in the way we play and Ange's preferred style that means the style that swept all before it in the SPL/J-league etc won't wash here, so I'm just not persuaded by the optimism.

I also wonder about recruitment given we have actually got better at this, it's clear we need a better forward line that can hold the ball up better and a top class DM but I do actually think our CBs are elite, we aren't getting any better - in fact I'd be more concerned about other teams sniffing around them.

I understand and to an extent agree. But one problem. VDV and Cuti aren’t Lovren. Udogie and Porro aren’t Moreno. On paper we’ve already got a pretty solid back line that can’t be improved much with transfers. Sure we could use a peak Wanyama as a 6, but our midfield isn’t terrible either. The problem is the coaching. We conceded 3 to Fulham and Arse, 4 to Newcastle, not bc of individual errors by donkey players, but poor setup by the manager.

Last edited:
GMQwDgWXUAAVScr

He doesn't believe in defense. All title winners have a strong defense. He's clueless.
Goals win games, defence wins titles, so we won't win any then 😁

Honest question what does Ange’s side do better today than Pochettino’s shambles of a Chelsea side midweek?

The 5-0 loss to the scum?

Anyone that watched both games ought to be able to see that the Chavs got utterly ripped apart whereas today that wasn't the story of the game at all.

I just think there are basic flaws in the way we play

There are.

But weren't those to be expected for a squad thats not entirely suited to the way a manager wants to play?

It seems most of our flaws come from the lack of technical ability in the team. The inability to keep hold of possession in dangerous areas and creating chances...

and Ange's preferred style that means the style that swept all before it in the SPL/J-league etc won't wash here, so I'm just not persuaded by the optimism.

His first seasons in J League and Australia saw his teams finish mid table... It wasn't until the second season once he'd had the team for a year, fine tuned it all they succeeded...

I also wonder about recruitment given we have actually got better at this, it's clear we need a better forward line that can hold the ball up better and a top class DM but I do actually think our CBs are elite, we aren't getting any better - in fact I'd be more concerned about other teams sniffing around them.

Summer is key for us.

We know who can play this game. Udogie, Porro, Romero and Vicario are set. I think Sarr is too.

But we're in desparate need of a new wide man, a striker and a 6.

Ans they have to be right.

Fair enough mate, personally I think we've seen enough to know this gaffer isn't at the required level.
Unfortunately modern football is a quick fire business, not getting fired quick well not always🤪 but quick as in results & obvious improvement which there is but it’s flawed what we got away with at the start of the season we aren’t now, yes it’s the coach/managers job to address these issues and I’ll give him time to do so , but lil ol’ me won’t make a difference waiting

There are.

But weren't those to be expected for a squad thats not entirely suited to the way a manager wants to play?

It seems most of our flaws come from the lack of technical ability in the team. The inability to keep hold of possession in dangerous areas and creating chances...

His first seasons in J League and Australia saw his teams finish mid table... It wasn't until the second season once he'd had the team for a year, fine tuned it all they succeeded...

Summer is key for us.

We know who can play this game. Udogie, Porro, Romero and Vicario are set. I think Sarr is too.

But we're in desparate need of a new wide man, a striker and a 6.

Ans they have to be right.
I agree with this and a lot of what you write. But there are just basic flaws in how we are set up. We didn't concede 3 to Fulham/Arse and 4 to Newcastle because we don't have the right wide players or a target man. The set piece/defensive mistakes are repetitive. Ange seems to think the solution is to put your foot on the gas - not sure that works here.

Back
Top Bottom