Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That may be true but it has nothing to do with having an issue at set pieces.

He states it’s not an issue because we have to “understand where we are as a team” which I would interpret to mean that we have a lot to work on all over the pitch. I don’t disagree with this but to claim that we shouldn’t be concerned with our set piece defending because we also have other issues is a sad attempt at deflecting, imv.

He goes on to mention that they had 4 shots, 3 scored in the first half. 2/3 were from set pieces so I’m finding it difficult to believe we shouldn’t be concerned with our set piece defending.
Maybe it will sort out next season. The part that is discouraging to me is that I assumed as the system started to take hold we'd see improvement. But it feels like the players were adapting to it better at the start of the season than they are now and that's worrying. And Postecoglou never seems to be answer anything specifically about what's happening on the pitch and falls back on the players commitment to the system. Even a guy with an ego like Jose Mourinho would occasionally acknowledge that he didn't have the team ready to play and talk about what "we" have to do. I still think next year could be a good one and I don't know if Postecoglou will or won't pan out. But after a loss to Woolrich I'm inclined to grouchiness and wanted to hear something in his post game presser where he took some ownership of the result.

Because he's trying to get his players to play a certain way, regardless of opposition right now.

Repetition, repetition, repetition

Is crucial in football. What we're seeing is a squad currently not capable of doing so, but with few bright sparks.

Agree but some fans don't want to be patient. Those calling for his head now are mad. We need to give any coach two full seasons unless things turn really bad. Be interesting to see how ange and the squad deal with a congested fixture list next season.

Because he's trying to get his players to play a certain way, regardless of opposition right now.

Repetition, repetition, repetition

Is crucial in football. What we're seeing is a squad currently not capable of doing so, but with few bright sparks.

We saw it with Klopp. Regardless of having Lovren at the back, regardless of having Moreno and Clyne at full back. Emre Can in midfield, they were always going to play the way he wanted.

I saw a Klopp Liverpool team get absolutely fucking destroyed 4-1 by us at Wembley. He didn't change his philosophy because of it. He kept at it, got rid of those who didn't cut the mustard and brought in those he knew could make a difference.

Ange has got plenty wrong this season, got plenty right. But I'm much more interested in how we evolve under him over the next season. Because he has now had 12 months of seeing this squad and what they're capable of and what it's lacking.
The thing is Klopp was backed , I’m not confident Ange will be to the degree he needs

we all could see from early in the season that the goalie had problems at corners so why have we not been working on that ? teams that are due to play us would work on that aspect of the match

A lot of our fans haven’t got the bollocks for the time and sometimes pain it takes to build a side to compete. Just expect a straight curve upward and when it obviously doesn’t work like that retreat to the happy place of a managerial change where we can fantasise about how it’s going to take off and there’s no bumps in the road.

The manager could of made us harder to beat today. Sat everyone behind the ball but long term that’s not good for the mentality of a team that wants to compete/win
So why didn't he?

That lot went to City and sat behind the ball and got the point they were looking for, a point that has kept them in the race to win the league and yet there's fans here talking about philosophies and "attacking football" as we fight to hold 5th place.

The gap is a chasm and it's made worse by the fact we finished above these for a few years only for them to win silverware during it and to bounce back and challenge for leagues while we harp on about a fraudster being right about not employing a set piece coach cos he has Mile Jedinak and insisting on playing a high line with all out attack no matter the opposition.

What a great mentality that will breed into the players eh?

We could be down to 9 against Chelsea at home or we could have a chance to stop the scum winning the league, doesn't matter cos we'll play naive football to please the so called "fans".

I understand and to an extent agree. But one problem. VDV and Cuti aren’t Lovren. Udogie and Porro aren’t Moreno. On paper we’ve already got a pretty solid back line that can’t be improved much with transfers. Sure we could use a peak Wanyana as a 6, but our midfield isn’t terrible either. The problem is the coaching. We conceded 3 to Fulham and Arse, 4 to Newcastle, not bc of individual errors by donkey players, but poor setup by the manager.

They were examples. Not comparisons.

Our comparison would be our attack compared to there's. They had Mane, Salah, Firmino despite having that defence.

We have Son, Kulusevski, Johnson etc....

Our defence, in my eyes, is fine. I actually think we defend open play pretty well (set pieces are another issue) and the chances we give up would be less if we had a front three anywhere near we good as that Liverpool team did and their ability to keep hold of the ball and create and score.

Look at Arsenals only goal from open play today? Maddison diving to the ground when he could have just kept the ball... Newcastle two weeks ago, two of their goals coming from Son failing to hold the ball up.

We need a wide man who is good technically,, can keep possession but able to beat his man too. A 6 that can comfortably receive the ball and turn on it but is brilliant defensively and a striker who can hold the ball up when require but can also fucking score.

I’m not making a point , stating a fact Arteta has been working since 2019……..our coach in situ less than a year ……Will he get backed fuck knows, Levy & the board will have a better idea of that but if they believe in their manager they will have too.
Our club is 142 years old. All this rebuild guff suits the ownership model, but it’s not reality. Teams have cycles, decently run clubs manage their cycles. Refreshing the core, about 12 months before you sell the other Apple ( so to speak )

Whereas we have owners who sacrifice the manager in a vain attempt to squeeze that little bit more from what should have been past.

Eriksen’s replacement came along years after he left. Kane’s replacement is nowhere to be seen. Son’s replacement is ? Toby and Jan, well they tried to use Sanchez or Dier and at times Davies, It’s absolutely rancid squad building. Paratici I feel is the only one who had half a clue. And he’s obviously bent.

When Levy pumps out his end of year statement about being “competitive”. That reality is that every team is competitive in this league. We are just also rans who maybe, sometimes do a bit better than shit the bed.

What would be his ideal striker? 9 or 10 type? Pace? Strength? Aerial ability? What’s the attributes he would like most.

I’m behind what Ange is trying to get us to do. The stuff we played was great until it got into the box, but the set pieces are just too bad and our forwards are just not good enough. It’s not gonna happen with Brennan Johnson, richarlison, son and Werner needing the line. We need a minimum of 2 top quality attackers to do anything next season. Otherwise it’s just a big fat waste of time.

The next 3 feel pretty big, not in the context of league position because we'll be 5th but in terms of pressure. Lose all 3, which feels distinctly possible and it will be 5 defeats on the bounce. Doesnt matter how long you've been here, or who you are. Any Totenham manager or anyone at a big club that loses 5 on the trot is under massive scrutiny. If football is about momentum and good vibes we'll have fuck all of either going into next season.

Davies. Hoijberg. Lo Celso, Skippy and Sess (albeit not playing) were here too.

And whilst not currently here, Ndombele, Rodon.
Ok, have you checked the U21s for any other players?

Davies and Hojbjerg are barely starting games. Lo Celso gets like 2 minutes every 2 games (he didn’t play under and the rest you said it, they don’t even play at all so why count them?

I agree with this and a lot of what you write. But there are just basic flaws in how we are set up. We didn't concede 3 to Fulham/Arse and 4 to Newcastle because we don't have the right wide players or a target man. The set piece/defensive mistakes are repetitive. Ange seems to think the solution is to put your foot on the gas - not sure that works here.

I think those games are completely different if we have a better front three, absolutely.

The amount of times I've seen our offence turn back or just lose the ball unnecessarily which leads to an opponent getting a good chance is not normal but you'd cut those out if you had players in that final third who were good on the ball and their first thought is how they can cause damage, not how can we keep the ball.

It's obvious this season was getting the players to not be afraid to play a certain way. They've been drilled to playing fucking negative football for years and for some of them never touched Prem football before.

They'll be driven tactically in the summer, now the base is there. You can trace this back with every single Ange team and how much the second seasons of his teams are alot better tactically and defensively. But also alot more comfortable

But as usual, recruitment needs to be key.
Always defending the status quo.

This is extremely optimistic. If anything we have seen how teams have figured Ange out already. We saw the same with Arteta and Klopp and they all had to tweak their set ups each year to perform. If we go out and drill our players the same way for next season it'll be even worse than this year.

Agree but some fans don't want to be patient. Those calling for his head now are mad. We need to give any coach two full seasons unless things turn really bad. Be interesting to see how ange and the squad deal with a congested fixture list next season.

If its the same at this point next season, I will be questioning, no doubt about it.

I don't think it will be.

The next 3 feel pretty big, not in the context of league position because we'll be 5th but in terms of pressure. Lose all 3, which feels distinctly possible and it will be 5 defeats on the bounce. Doesnt matter how long you've been here, or who you are. Any Totenham manager or anyone at a big club that loses 5 on the trot is under massive scrutiny. If football is about momentum and good vibes we'll have fuck all of either going into next season.
Basically I see our season in a few phases. First 10 games - brilliant. Nov-Jan - above expectations due to the appalling injury list and suspensions. Feb onwards - not great tbh.

Ange came in, gave us a lift, brought something different and commits to attacking football. My feeling is that he doesn't adapt enough to games and strategies, I just don't see us doubling down on our plan A catapulting us to success when we make many basic errors and are so easy to score against.

Ok, have you checked the U21s for any other players?

Davies and Hojbjerg are barely starting games. Lo Celso gets like 2 minutes every 2 games (he didn’t play under and the rest you said it, they don’t even play at all so why count them?
You said Son is the only player still here. He isn't. Don't be a prick, I've mentioned players that got games in those regimes. Not kids.

They are still here, therefore your statement is incorrect.

And whilst not ALL the players have participated under ALL regimes, enough have played with Conte and Nuno. Enough to still have lasting effects on the tactics and mentality.

Porro/Romero/Davies/Hoijberg/Bentancur/ Kulusevski and Son - 7 of the starting 11 today - we're prominent players for Conte. Just last year.

The thing is Klopp was backed , I’m not confident Ange will be to the degree he needs

I agree that he won't be backed to the extent we go and spend 80m and 70m on positions we need like Klopp did (Van Dijk and Allison).

He's been backed pretty heavily so far though. So I hope it continues and we make the right signings, regardless of fee.

Back
Top Bottom