Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you really that dumb?

He's aiming for first. You don't aim for lower spots and call it progression. You aim for the top, and as you get closer to it each season, THAT is called progression.
All this is assuming managers say what they mean and mean what they say. I don't think they always do and (heresy alert) I think Postecoglou is as guilty of that as any of the rest. I think much of what he says is calculated to play to the fans. Sounds great to talk about how you're going for only first place, but it is coming from someone whose team lost 5 of 6 late in the season. So how much does any of this even mean?

All this is assuming managers say what they mean and mean what they say. I don't think they always do and (heresy alert) I think Postecoglou is as guilty of that as any of the rest. I think much of what he says is calculated to play to the fans. Sounds great to talk about how you're going for only first place, but it is coming from someone whose team lost 5 of 6 late in the season. So how much does any of this even mean?
Harry Enfield character “I say what I like and I like what I say”😀

His last presser after SU game asked about finishing 5th he said his only interested in first not even 2,3 4. Surely the answer at this stage should be the aim is to finish as high as possible and be competitive in every game. It’s like he doesn’t view progression or building to something and he just wants the front door key to a house without it being finished. Almost delusional!
Jesus Christ. That's literally what he's been saying all season.

He wants to build a team that will win things. There's a process to that. Part of that is changing the mentality and 'fragile foundations' of a club that has been conditioned to aim for 4th season upon season.

Not publicly stating that your aim is to finish 4th doesn't mean that you don't want to finish fourth or third or second or as high as possible.

DO 👏
YOU 👏
GET 👏
IT? 👏

If you think that Postecoglou is just playing up to the fans by saying that he's aiming to win, I don't know what to tell you mate except that you haven't been paying attention.

Now whether you, me or anybody else thinks it's realistic or not is another story, but trust me, that will 100% be what he's trying to build as long as he's here.

If you think that Postecoglou is just playing up to the fans by saying that he's aiming to win, I don't know what to tell you mate except that you haven't been paying attention.

Now whether you, me or anybody else thinks it's realistic or not is another story, but trust me, that will 100% be what he's trying to build as long as he's here.
I don't disagree with you. But I think downplaying Champions League while saying he's going for first place is putting the cart before the horse.

I don't disagree with you. But I think downplaying Champions League while saying he's going for first place is putting the cart before the horse.

Context is important. He has emphasised on many occasions that the " CL " has been already achieved by our Club. It isn't a prize nor is it his aim. It's a great opportunity to play against the best, but as he said that puts demands on the depth of squad.

He wants to win. It's not bluster.

5 out of 7. Sounds better 🤣

Context is important. He has emphasised on many occasions that the " CL " has been already achieved by our Club. It isn't a prize nor is it his aim. It's a great opportunity to play against the best, but as he said that puts demands on the depth of squad.

It's incredible how many people misunderstood that.

It was just like when Pochettino said winning a trophy wouldn't take us to the next level and he was right. Because it didn't before and won't in future unless we're at a level that allows us to do so. Same way Ange said Newcastle getting CL football didn't take then to the next level, how we didn't sign the likes of Vicario, van de Ven etc with CL football.

That doesn't mean Poch didn't want to win trophies and it doesn't mean Ange doesn't want CL football.

What these managers want is to build a team that's ALWAYS competing, so that every year they're going deep in these comps but also at the top end of the table. Not finishing 8th and fluking a cup win along the way because our fans want bragging rights over something no other fanbase gives a toss about.

But all managers want to win. The near term goal is to get back to the Champions League and it wasn't accomplished. It is an important factor in terms of attracting transfers and generating revenue. It matters less what his grand design is and more what are the immediate steps he's taken moving along the line. Anyway you look at it, the end of the season was not a success.

But all managers want to win. The near term goal is to get back to the Champions League and it wasn't accomplished. It is an important factor in terms of attracting transfers and generating revenue. It matters less what his grand design is and more what are the immediate steps he's taken moving along the line. Anyway you look at it, the end of the season was not a success.
The season, as a whole, was progression though, despite a number of obstacles along the way.

He's aiming for the title, and progression is not the linear trajectory that too many expect. Real life doesn't work like that.

He warned of the bumps, we got them. What exacerbated them was that most of them happened at the end of the season against teams in and around us, coupled with the angst coming from the filth going close.

What want to know is what our head of football operations doing. Where is the statement of intent and ambition. The guy is stealing a living. We want to know what their plans are for the men’s first team. At the moment it is left to ange to talk about HIS ambitions which is all well and good. However what is his bosses ambitions? I would really love to know what Munn has done since joining to earn £5M / year or whatever it is!

What want to know is what our head of football operations doing. Where is the statement of intent and ambition. The guy is stealing a living. We want to know what their plans are for the men’s first team. At the moment it is left to ange to talk about HIS ambitions which is all well and good. However what is his bosses ambitions? I would really love to know what Munn has done since joining to earn £5M / year or whatever it is!
Taken the heat off of Levy judging by the above , in which case job done

It's incredible how many people misunderstood that.

It was just like when Pochettino said winning a trophy wouldn't take us to the next level and he was right. Because it didn't before and won't in future unless we're at a level that allows us to do so. Same way Ange said Newcastle getting CL football didn't take then to the next level, how we didn't sign the likes of Vicario, van de Ven etc with CL football.

That doesn't mean Poch didn't want to win trophies and it doesn't mean Ange doesn't want CL football.

What these managers want is to build a team that's ALWAYS competing, so that every year they're going deep in these comps but also at the top end of the table. Not finishing 8th and fluking a cup win along the way because our fans want bragging rights over something no other fanbase gives a toss about.
Interesting take. Although why do you think they all ultimately fall short, fail to meet their own expectations and end up getting sacked.
We all know, deep down, Postecoglou will eventually go the same as all his predecessors.

Back
Top Bottom