Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting take. Although why do you think they all ultimately fall short, fail to meet their own expectations and end up getting sacked.
We all know, deep down, Postecoglou will eventually go the same as all his predecessors.

Not sure we all know it.

I'd say a lot of us have seen the movie before and wouldn't be surprised if the sequel was the same as the previous movie.

Would it be fair to say that you are emotionally invested in it eventually being the same as the previous times?

I'm not asking that as a dig, I am asking that because I know that feeling. I wrote a thread about being willing to get relegated just to get a change from the repetitive cycle of Levy's spreadsheet football business. Somehow I always find myself coming back to optimism but if there are people like yourself that are out in the open that you just want another Levy manager to fail just to get one step closer to more fans turning on him, I guess there is something to listen to.

I still separate Ange and this squad from past failures and have optimism (delusion?) that incredible things can be done but I have to admit I'm dreading this transfer window and the way another football administration might be hamstrung against our rivals.

every football manager in the world says they want to win. Theres nothing unique to Ange saying this.

But didnt Ange also scoff at the idea of buying more players last window and thought the squad was good enough, if I remember correctly. He was putting out the Levy party line, hook line and sinker if I remember correctly. Just like all our predecessors before him. And just like our prrdecessors, starts begging for players when the mist has been blown from their eyes in the second season and they realise the job at hand. And now he has finally understood the culture of the owners and the fact that he isnt as good as he thinks he is and now he’s very much desperate for players and sounding the alarm to the media in hopes Levy reciprocates transfer wise… whereas in the past he has been so confident

Fellas… we’ve been here before. It’s a sick joke at this point. We all know where this goes.

Only Levy wont be able to sack this one. Because it was our wild card, a last option. Failure with yet another manager might just turn the scrutiny towards the ownership this time. Because this ownership has finally ran out of ideas.

We had a project manager in Poch, sacked. We tried a big money manager twice, sacked.
We’re trying another project (debatable) and already we’ve had outbursts and tears in the press conferences. (Not literally)

we genuinely need to move on from this ownership now. Money or no money. We need fresh blood and new ideas.

Sorry, that was a slip of the finger / brain - I meant to say that we played in a way whereby we would normally expect to score more goals - the point was about the style of football, not the actual number of goals that we scored. We were often awful up front this season, but you'd be hard-pushed to find any fan that doesn't agree that we played a lot more attacking football this season, and hence were more open at the back, that was my point (and my error does nothing to change or invalidate that point). Now I've restated it, do you agree?

I.E.
Do you agree that we played more attacking football this season than last?
Do you agree that we were more open at the back because of that attacking style of football?

That's the main reason we didn't concede far fewer goals than last season despite having significantly better defenders playing.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not necessarily saying that everyone should defend Ange's style of football, not at all, people are entitled to have differing views on that. I'm just saying that conceding a similar number of goals as last season but with much better defenders is not necessarily 'alarming' (the word you used originally I believe) - it just highlights that we are playing a higher risk / reward style of football now. If that is what you find alarming - our style of football - then that hasn't come across in your original post at all (due to it being devoid of all context). Personally I'd be far more concerned that, given the style of football we've played this season, we haven't scored more goals, that is where our problem is...

Alright mate, when you put it like this, I can relate much more.
I certainly agree that we played more attacking football during recently ended season compared to season before.

And generally I do believe that this style could be both - enjoyable and successful. But I feel that in order to play constant pressing football, you have to always stay on top of things tactically. Which I honestly did not see from Ange.

Weirdly enough, he started to make changes and talk about "his integrity" only before City game (where he used Sarr as false-9) and then followed it up with using Deki as #9 against Sheffield. But before that he just rammed head to the wall with dull consistency.

So I am not that much concerned about his style of football, but rather than his ability to consistently maneuver some small factors / approaches / patterns / areas of focus etc that will help us to do well against opposition.

Ange winning us a trophy will come down to the luck of the draws and prioritisation of the competitions.

Getting City early is just unlucky. Rotating away at Fulham was poor decision making but can excuse it more given how early the game came in his tenure.

He needs to get it right next season but he clearly doesn't really understand the fans and what's important to them, which worries me.

Please give us a manager that realises they can't rotate and win games when our squad players are Championship level whilst also lacking match sharpness.

every football manager in the world says they want to win. Theres nothing unique to Ange saying this.

But didnt Ange also scoff at the idea of buying more players last window and thought the squad was good enough, if I remember correctly.

Conte never said anything directly about winning or expecting to be in a title race.

Amge has never scoffed at buying more players, nor has he said the squad is complete.

thanks for playing.

But didnt Ange also scoff at the idea of buying more players last window and thought the squad was good enough, if I remember correctly.
Yes, he sure did. His exact quote was:

"More bloody signings? Maaaaate, stop being a drongo. As I've said a million times, we've finished building the squad in a couple of windows and if you offered me any quality players I'd laugh and wave my barbequed snag in your face, ya flamin' galah!"

But didnt Ange also scoff at the idea of buying more players last window and thought the squad was good enough, if I remember correctly. He was putting out the Levy party line, hook line and sinker if I remember correctly. Just like all our predecessors before him. And just like our prrdecessors, starts begging for players when the mist has been blown from their eyes in the second season and they realise the job at hand. And now he has finally understood the culture of the owners and the fact that he isnt as good as he thinks he is and now he’s very much desperate for players and sounding the alarm to the media in hopes Levy reciprocates transfer wise… whereas in the past he has been so confident

Fellas… we’ve been here before. It’s a sick joke at this point. We all know where this goes.

Only Levy wont be able to sack this one. Because it was our wild card, a last option. Failure with yet another manager might just turn the scrutiny towards the ownership this time. Because this ownership has finally ran out of ideas.

We had a project manager in Poch, sacked. We tried a big money manager twice, sacked.
We’re trying another project (debatable) and already we’ve had outbursts and tears in the press conferences. (Not literally)

we genuinely need to move on from this ownership now. Money or no money. We need fresh blood and new ideas.

giphy.gif

Yup, ilk. Halfwits with agendas

What is embarrassing is reading "fans" digging him out for talking positively about what he intends to bring. You'd rather he say "hey, I'm just here for the paycheck, we're just here to make up the numbers?"

🤡
no, in my opinion I just find the interviews hard to listen to. But I don't mind if you like them.

I don't know why you are doubting me. I listened to it live. Her argument was that Pep put in a fake bid for Rice to help his old mate Arteta out. Ludicrous and non-sensical obviously. Her justification was that it is sort of thing she did all the time when she was sporting director. When questioned she said she would ring up rival clubs' sporting directors to get them to put fake bids in for players she wanted. it apparently would lead to her boss giving her more money.
And yes, if she is telling the truth and this is what goes on in the WSL, there should be an audit of the league.

So if Ange did that to Levy, in order for Levy to pay up for a player that would make us better, would you want all hell to break loose?

This champions league argument is tiresome.

All coaches, of all clubs have objectives. Both minimum and "would be nice to achieve"
I would expect Levy to set any coach he hires an objective to qualify for the champions league. It's maybe not a sackable offence if he fails, but there will be a big reward for the coach if he achieves.

What Ange says and what he's been told to do are not the same thing.

Not sure we all know it.

I'd say a lot of us have seen the movie before and wouldn't be surprised if the sequel was the same as the previous movie.

Would it be fair to say that you are emotionally invested in it eventually being the same as the previous times?

I'm not asking that as a dig, I am asking that because I know that feeling. I wrote a thread about being willing to get relegated just to get a change from the repetitive cycle of Levy's spreadsheet football business. Somehow I always find myself coming back to optimism but if there are people like yourself that are out in the open that you just want another Levy manager to fail just to get one step closer to more fans turning on him, I guess there is something to listen to.

I still separate Ange and this squad from past failures and have optimism (delusion?) that incredible things can be done but I have to admit I'm dreading this transfer window and the way another football administration might be hamstrung against our rivals.
Every Spurs fan wants every manage to succeed. Bar the select few OTT anti-Chelsea fans who can't stand ex Chelsea managers (they've had 5k or so, so there aren't many left)
It doesn't mean every Spurs fan thinks those coaches will succeed.

Every Spurs fan wants every manage to succeed. Bar the select few OTT anti-Chelsea fans who can't stand ex Chelsea managers (they've had 5k or so, so there aren't many left)
It doesn't mean every Spurs fan thinks those coaches will succeed.

Even the "I'd love to be wrong but" crew?

Not sure all of them are honest about wanting any Spurs manager to succeed. There are more than 1 or 2 that get irrationally negative about managers so easily and can't see past their hatred for Levy's administration.

Even the "I'd love to be wrong but" crew?

Not sure all of them are honest about wanting any Spurs manager to succeed. There are more than 1 or 2 that get irrationally negative about managers so easily and can't see past their hatred for Levy's administration.
I genuinely would love to be wrong about every coach or every player I have my doubts about.
There's not really a "but" there. I would live to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom