Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So because the club don't engage in mud slinging, they must be culpable?

Gold, for example, has reported very little fact - but he has commented and speculated on those facts, which are then reported as fact elsewhere. Very misleading.

"Reality", lol

"Narrative" more like

Its not mudslinging to leak facts and dispute what must be the false reports that in your world.

Its not mudslinging to leak facts and dispute what must be the false reports that in your world.
The club doesn't do it, never has. Levy rarely speaks ever, and has never divulged anything on talks or inner club workings or any of it.

He is averse to the media full stop, doesn't play that game.

But you expect him to make statements justifying why negotiations didn't come to fruition?

Ask yourself, when has he ever disputed anything? Why would he now?

Its an internet phenomenon that people get themselves into a frenzy on this stuff. 20 years ago it would have been an article in the paper, one a day, and you'd read it and say "that didn't work out, wonder who they'll talk to next" and that would be about it.

The club doesn't do it, never has. Levy rarely speaks ever, and has never divulged anything on talks or inner club workings or any of it.

He is averse to the media full stop, doesn't play that game.

But you expect him to make statements justifying why negotiations didn't come to fruition?

Ask yourself, when has he ever disputed anything? Why would he now?

Its an internet phenomenon that people get themselves into a frenzy on this stuff. 20 years ago it would have been an article in the paper, one a day, and you'd read it and say "that didn't work out, wonder who they'll talk to next" and that would be about it.

They leak stuff all the time.

Which is why we always hear how close we were to these big players but just missed out so fans can hear how hard we "tried."

It is funny that it is clear to everyone but you what happened here.

They leak stuff all the time.

Which is why we always hear how close we were to these big players but just missed out so fans can hear how hard we "tried."

It is funny that it is clear to everyone but you what happened here.

When have they ever leaked negotiation details? Conversations within the club?

They've only ever leaked confirmations and that's it.

I can see what's happened, I can see two parties entered negotiations and those negotiations were unsuccessful. I accept I do not know why, because despite your conviction we don't actually know why.

We don't even know if it's someone's fault, let alone whose, but you think I'm wrong for not knowing what happened here.

You know not half what you think you do, you're just following the narrative in your head

It's not a conspiracy to sell season tickets, it's just PR for Levy to sell the next manager to our gullible cunt fans. "We tried to get a top coach, but here's a yes-man who doesn't want to spend too much instead." He's done the same with signings over the years. "Rivaldo wrote us a nice letter, but here's Gus Poyet."

But they'll lap it up, and we will carry on with Enic, winning nothing and selling our best players when they reach their peak.

When have they ever leaked negotiation details? Conversations within the club?

They've only ever leaked confirmations and that's it.

I can see what's happened, I can see two parties entered negotiations and those negotiations were unsuccessful. I accept I do not know why, because despite your conviction we don't actually know why.

We don't even know if it's someone's fault, let alone whose, but you think I'm wrong for not knowing what happened here.

You know not half what you think you do, you're just following the narrative in your head

I know that Conte will demand backing and control. I know that if you are not prepared to give it to him then there is no point in negotiating with him.

If Levy passed on him because he didn't fit their goals then fine that is his choice, wouldn't have loved it but at least it makes sense. To go into negotiations with him and then balk when he demands things that everyone knows he will ask for is silly.

There is a reason why you are on an island on this issue and everyone else can see what is going on.

I know that Conte will demand backing and control. I know that if you are not prepared to give it to him then there is no point in negotiating with him.

If Levy passed on him because he didn't fit their goals then fine that is his choice, wouldn't have loved it but at least it makes sense. To go into negotiations with him and then balk when he demands things that everyone knows he will ask for is silly.

You don't know what backing or what control was demanded. Or at what point. Or even if the goal posts were moved, or misrepresented up front.

And that is the point. You know basically nothing, none of us do.

And somehow you think I'm wrong for understanding that, and not having 100% conviction in speculations and narrative instead.

There is a reason why you are on an island on this issue and everyone else can see what is going on.
Don't be naive enough to assume I'm on my own. Plenty of people will agree but see the futility of the discussion.

You don't know what backing or what control was demanded. Or at what point. Or even if the goal posts were moved, or misrepresented up front.

And somehow you think I'm wrong for understanding that, and not having 100% conviction in speculations and narrative instead.

Don't be naive enough to assume I'm on my own. Plenty of people will agree but see the futility of the discussion.

There have been more than enough reports to have an idea. There is more than enough evidence to know what level Conte wants his teams to be at.

It was clear as day what Conte wanted. We might not know the exact numbers but we know the basic level of support he wanted.

And sorry you are wrong, you are on a tiny little island of thinking that it wasn't clear the level of support that Conte wanted.

You don't even follow your own logic. You are having a pop about people believing speculation, then you pull it out of your arse that loads of people agree with you, they just can't be bothered to speak up.

I used to be an apologist for Levy too, but it's time to wake up.

There have been more than enough reports to have an idea. There is more than enough evidence to know what level Conte wants his teams to be at.

It was clear as day what Conte wanted. We might not know the exact numbers but we know the basic level of support he wanted.

And sorry you are wrong, you are on a tiny little island of thinking that it wasn't clear the level of support that Conte wanted.

If it's so clear, why don't you provide some details, and this 'evidence' you speak of. And try to avoid speculation - because I'm sure you can appreciate, speculation is not fact.

And once we've got that far, I'm sure you'll be able to provide evidence to support Levy's refusal of this.

And once it's all proven then we'll find agreement.

Unless, of course, in trying to do so you realise you actually haven't anything to really go on other than speculation and narrative.

Which, ultimately, isn't proof of anything.

We know Conte will want backing. We don't know how much, or even if the club can afford it.

We don't know what he lead the club to believe before entering talks.

We don't know what control he wanted, or of it was even a reasonable ask. What if he demanded control of negotiating contracts? Or sales/buys? Should he really have control of our finances like that?

Like I've said, we don't actually know a thing - including where responsibility lays for the break down in talks.

So if you are so sure you know things as fact, then simply you are wrong.

If it's so clear, why don't you provide some details, and this 'evidence' you speak of. And try to avoid speculation - because I'm sure you can appreciate, speculation is not fact.

And once we've got that far, I'm sure you'll be able to provide evidence to support Levy's refusal of this.

And once it's all proven then we'll find agreement.

Unless, of course, in trying to do so you realise you actually haven't anything to really go on other than speculation and narrative.

Which, ultimately, isn't proof of anything.

We know Conte will want backing. We don't know how much, or even if the club can afford it.

We don't know what he lead the club to believe before entering talks.

We don't know what control he wanted, or of it was even a reasonable ask. What if he demanded control of negotiating contracts? Or sales/buys? Should he really have control of our finances like that?

Like I've said, we don't actually know a thing - including where responsibility lays for the break down in talks.

So if you are so sure you know things as fact, then simply you are wrong.

What the hell are you talking about? The evidence of Levy's refusal of the requests is that the deal collapsed.

Why is that the Levy apologists always need impossible evidence to refute common sense?

The idea that Conte went in with ridiculous requests makes zero sense. You trying to push that nonsense is laughable.

We do know the reason the talks broke down, Conte didn't think that he would get the backing he wanted or that the club had the ambition that he wanted.

You don't even follow your own logic. You are having a pop about people believing speculation, then you pull it out of your arse that loads of people agree with you, they just can't be bothered to speak up.

I used to be an apologist for Levy too, but it's time to wake up.
I've browsed forums long enough to know I've done it myself, agreed with a poster but seen the pending dumpster fire and thought better of getting involved. Yes, speculative on my part, but not unreasonably so.

I'm no Levy apologist either, but will stick up for him when it seems fair. He's done plenty to complain about, but doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets here.

Though I appreciate your post, reminds me to take my own advice. I've been caught in Igulas trap before, should know better really, so think I'll check out now.

By the sounds of it a lot of madrid and psg players dont want conte and made it clear to their clubs bosses.
I dont think this matters because we know how soft modern day footballers are and how they dont like someone a little tough.
But the more i think bout it i dont think hes a great fit for us.
I think a lot of the anger is coming from the fact of how badly handled this all is by the clowns running us and the fact we are left with fuck all to choose from

By the sounds of it a lot of madrid and psg players dont want conte and made it clear to their clubs bosses.
I dont think this matters because we know how soft modern day footballers are and how they dont like someone a little tough.
I think a lot of the anger is coming from the fact of how badly handled this all is by the clowns running us and the fact we are left with fuck all to choose from
In hindsight it's all a bit more obvious.

For Spurs to get success, the manager needs to be a fucking miracle worker, not a chequebook manager whohad previous success because he could charge into the transfer market and pick who he wanted.

The longer this goes on, the more recognition Poch deserves for almost pulling off the miracle in his time with us.

Conte under the same restrictions might have done no better than Mourinho.

I am not sure that Conte is a great fit for PSG. Most of his success has come in the domestic Cups and Leagues and PSG has no issue with that. It is possible that a great manager like Conte could change his approach and find success at CL with them, but I am not sure that is their strength. I also see his strengths as not really working with the team PSG has so it would take major changes to their squad. If not for the Marseilles connection Zidane seems like the perfect fit to work with the overinflated egos of their players and focus on CL.

As for Conte and us you are probably right that it is not a perfect fit but where the anger comes from is that Levy went down that road and backed out due to control and backing, the two biggest issues we have had with him as chairman. To have it thrown in our faces once again that he will not do what is needed to compete sucks. Even if we shouldn't have got our hopes up that he would change, it did feel possible for a little bit with the Conte links.

The other issue, as many have pointed out, it once again highlights that there is zero plan for this club.

Back
Top Bottom