Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of course this info is false but no-one can blame Spurs fans for thinking the worse when you consider the situation we are in
You can blame them for reading every negative article/item/tweet and just accepting it, getting wound up and going off on one without think said item through first....

Works though, doesn't it? Spurs fans frothing at the gash allover the place lapping it up
Definitely. The amount of bollocks that the media (if they can really be credited as being such) spout is mental. It’s a simple formula: Levy + Conte = make any old shit up. At least Mourinho just appeared like a toxic genie and we didn’t have to put up with this speculative bollocks.

The sad thing is that a less high profile but potentially excellent manager could be chosen and he’d already feel the wrath of the fans.

Are people still pushing the ticket renewal angle, fuck me they are dense. Everyone renews regardless, it’s a fucking red herring.

Conte would have made us a laughing stock again at some point. You can guarantee that. I suspect he’d have fallen out with levy by October if he had come and we’d be even more fucked than we are now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levy was just looking for every way possible to get out of negotiating with Conte. Ticket renewal date had passed, the plan had worked, no need to flirt with Conte anymore

What plan?

We have a massive waiting list for season tickets and how many people do we realistically were basing their decision on Conte rumours? I have to think it is a tiny amount.

Now his so called plan to sucker a few season ticket renewals, people he would have easily replaced, has resulted in him alienating a much larger group of the fanbase and pissing off more people that were renewing Conte rumours or not.

If this was a PR stunt to sucker in a few seasonal ticket renewals it was a horrible plan and stupid even by Levy standards.

I don’t quite get the anger: Conte’s not coming because he can’t buy a ready-made team as if he’s playing real-life FIFA, he’s ex-Chelsea and clearly a bit of a dick. He’s like an amped-up Jose. I was amazed so many people wanted him and clearly he doesn’t rate himself as a coach if he thinks he can’t take on a project and actually improve players. I was excited as if he came it meant there was a massive transfer fund: he doesn’t seem to be, but we’re no worse off than we were a few weeks back.

I’m worried we’ll end up with a coach I don’t rate but we won’t know anything until the season starts and the first few games are played - even without transfers. That’s part of the joyous jeopardy of it all.
For me, that is the exact issue though. We are back where we were a few weeks ago and likely now in a worse position than before when it was never going to work. Everyone thought that it surely meant some indication that Levy was willing to spend something if Conte was interested.

If we never had that intention, why even bother talking to him, delaying the process, and possibly turning off your other targets for no apparent reason?

Whether managers or players, sometimes it just doesn't work out. That's okay but this was a complete farce and really poor when we are talking about such an important decision for a club and team that is feeling so rudderless.

I think when a manger of Contes calibre is available and willing to talk, then you simply have to try.

That is how I felt as well when it started to look serious as I wasn't really sure about him from the beginning. But it's ultimately like if we were trying to sign a new striker, and wasting a week negotiating to sign Haaland when you have no intention of paying him hia wages.

What is the point?

That is how I felt as well when it started to look serious as I wasn't really sure about him from the beginning. But it's ultimately like if we were trying to sign a new striker, and wasting a week negotiating to sign Haaland when you have no intention of paying him hia wages.

What is the point?
Can only assume preliminary talks suggested negotiations stood a good chance of success?

For me, that is the exact issue though. We are back where we were a few weeks ago and likely now in a worse position than before when it was never going to work. Everyone thought that it surely meant some indication that Levy was willing to spend something if Conte was interested.

If we never had that intention, why even bother talking to him, delaying the process, and possibly turning off your other targets for no apparent reason?

Whether managers or players, sometimes it just doesn't work out. That's okay but this was a complete farce and really poor when we are talking about such an important decision for a club and team that is feeling so rudderless.
We're not back where we were a few weeks ago though because we are now a few weeks closer to the transfer window opening. The window opens in 4 days now. 3 weeks ago if we had got someone in, they'd have 3 weeks to evaluate the squad with our existing footballing structure and come up with a plan for the summer. Our rivals are already going about their business and we don't even have a manager.

The Paratici bit does help but a manager is a key piece of these decisions.

Can only assume preliminary talks suggested negotiations stood a good chance of success?

I don't know how that can be though.

Not a single person here is surprised by Conte's requests, we all know what he is and what he would want. It isn't like it is a surprise that he wanted backing and power. He left his last job, which was a pretty good job and one in which he just won the league because of the clubs lack of ambition and backing.

Not a single person here is surprised by Conte's requests, we all know what he is and what he would want. It isn't like it is a surprise that he wanted backing and power. He left his last job, which was a pretty good job and one in which he just won the league because of the clubs lack of ambition and backing.
Broad strokes, no details.

Be honest, you don't know anything of tangible value, none of us do.

We do know they entered negotiations, and so can only assume they thought there was a deal to be done.

We know that talks have stalled/stopped, so we know agreement could not be made.

The rest is guff. We have no idea if Conte was totally reasonable and Levy decided that still wasn't good enough, or if Conte wanted the moon on a stick and simply couldn't satisfy him.

If Levy had a deep understanding and commitment to the nature of his project, the discussion with Conte would have lasted about thirty seconds.

Trouble is, Levy comes up with some new galaxy-brained idea of how win with less spending than the competition at Spurs about every 18 months. There are no core values to the operation of this club.

I don’t quite get the anger: Conte’s not coming because he can’t buy a ready-made team as if he’s playing real-life FIFA, he’s ex-Chelsea and clearly a bit of a dick. He’s like an amped-up Jose. I was amazed so many people wanted him and clearly he doesn’t rate himself as a coach if he thinks he can’t take on a project and actually improve players. I was excited as if he came it meant there was a massive transfer fund: he doesn’t seem to be, but we’re no worse off than we were a few weeks back.

I’m worried we’ll end up with a coach I don’t rate but we won’t know anything until the season starts and the first few games are played - even without transfers. That’s part of the joyous jeopardy of it all.
Look at his record before making ridiculous statements. He took the worst Italy side in recent history and got them to a Euro quarter-final, beating Belgium, Spain and Sweden in the process with fucking Eder and Graziano Pelle as strikers. It's a shame our owners, and some of our fans, can't match that amibition. A real shame...

Broad strokes, no details.

Be honest, you don't know anything of tangible value, none of us do.

We do know they entered negotiations, and so can only assume they thought there was a deal to be done.

We know that talks have stalled/stopped, so we know agreement could not be made.

The rest is guff. We have no idea if Conte was totally reasonable and Levy decided that still wasn't good enough, or if Conte wanted the moon on a stick and simply couldn't satisfy him.

Of course we know things of tangible value. We don't need to sit in on the chats to know what Conte would be looking for. There is no reason to doubt what has been reported by reliable sources, from both sides of the table.

We know Conte's history and why he left Inter.

The Levy apologies from you trying to make it out as though Conte could have been making unrealistic demands based on nothing is ridiculous.

Of course we know things of tangible value. We don't need to sit in on the chats to know what Conte would be looking for. There is no reason to doubt what has been reported by reliable sources, from both sides of the table.

We know Conte's history and why he left Inter.

The Levy apologies from you trying to make it out as though Conte could have been making unrealistic demands based on nothing is ridiculous.
What is ridiculous is your persistence in taking your own half baked opinion as absolute fact.

Who decides a reputable source? Who knows what exactly Conte demanded? Or what lead Levy to back off?

It's ALL speculative outside the fact there were talks.

What is ridiculous is your persistence in taking your own half baked opinion as absolute fact.

Who decides a reputable source? Who knows what exactly Conte demanded? Or what lead Levy to back off?

It's ALL speculative outside the fact there were talks.

If you want to think that Romano, DiMarzio and Gold are the type of people to lie then go ahead. They have shown in the past that what they report is true for the vast majority of the time, if not all the time.

If Conte made crazy demands how come it hasn't come out? There has been zero reporting on him making crazy demands.

We have a history of how Levy acts and a history of how Conte acts, why would we not use though histories to judge the information coming out.

Keep your head in the sand if you like but there is no reason for the rest of us to ignore reality just to try and defend Levy.

If you want to think that Romano, DiMarzio and Gold are the type of people to lie then go ahead. They have shown in the past that what they report is true for the vast majority of the time, if not all the time.

If Conte made crazy demands how come it hasn't come out? There has been zero reporting on him making crazy demands.

We have a history of how Levy acts and a history of how Conte acts, why would we not use though histories to judge the information coming out.

Keep your head in the sand if you like but there is no reason for the rest of us to ignore reality just to try and defend Levy.
So because the club don't engage in mud slinging, they must be culpable?

Gold, for example, has reported very little fact - but he has commented and speculated on those facts, which are then reported as fact elsewhere. Very misleading.

"Reality", lol

"Narrative" more like

Back
Top Bottom