Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whole thing looks a mess. Levy is absolutely destroying his relationship with the fans, ESL, Jose now this crap. If there is a plan it looks like shit, we don’t have the money to do a Chelsea or City so why go for Conte. It’s brain dead!

I swear Levy just loves a big name but doesn’t think about the consequences of getting a big name. We should never have gone near Jose and we should never have gone after Conte with our finances. We looks like fools in front of the whole world.
I have a few Chav and Dipper mates and we usually enjoy good banter etc but now even they don’t bother because it’s too easy

Levy has made the club a laughing stock and it’s us fans having to bear the brunt of it

I just can’t see a positive solution atm

Conte has the potential to be a disastrous appointment, just like Mourinho. Too many fans just see a big name and get attracted to the allure.

Let’s not forget that Conte just walked out on his last club. They needed urgently to get costs down in order to preserve the long term stability of the club.

When Conte found out, he threw a massive hissy fit and left.

Instead of prioritising the club, the team and the fans, Conte prioritised himself. Instead of managing and coaching the resources allocated to him, all he cared about was demanding more money in a financially precarious environment.

Conte, Mourinho and Benitez are chequebook managers and unfortunately, reckless, feckless, endless spending in the transfer market are all that some fans want to see. And when these 3 managers are confronted by prudent budgets, they have tantrums and destabilise the club and fans they are working for. And fans always side with the manager, never financial probity.

Conte didn’t ask for £200 million alone. By definition, that figure is doubled by wages, signing on fees and bonus payments. And he would insist on similar sums next season.

It’s like Harry Redknapp on Speed.

Conte gave Levy a list of players he wanted. That’s where the £200 million was derived from. Potentially, the list of players next January or summer might be £100 million or £300 million.

And spending sums doesn’t guarantee success. It’s when you hear those ridiculous phrases, such as “show ambition” or “speculate to accumulate”….just codes for endless money thrown at wages and transfer fees.

Conte might give Spurs 12 months of excitement, then turmoil and instability would follow. That enough to give anyone pause. Because, of course, Levy just got bitten by that with Mourinho.

Conte has the potential to be a disastrous appointment, just like Mourinho. Too many fans just see a big name and get attracted to the allure.

Let’s not forget that Conte just walked out on his last club. They needed urgently to get costs down in order to preserve the long term stability of the club.

Instead of prioritising the club, the team and the fans, Conte prioritised himself. Instead of managing and coaching the resources allocated to him, all he cared about was demanding more money in a financially precarious environment.

Conte, Mourinho and Benitez are chequebook managers and unfortunately, reckless, feckless, endless spending in the transfer market are all that some fans want to see. And when these 3 managers are confronted by prudent budgets, they have tantrums and destabilise the club and fans they are working for. And fans always side with the manager, never financial probity.

Conte didn’t ask for £200 million alone. By definition, that figure is doubled by wages, signing on fees and bonus payments. And he would insist on similar sums next season.

Conte gave Levy a list of players he wanted. That’s where the £200 million was derived from. Potentially, the list of players next January or summer might be £100 million or £300 million.

And spending sums doesn’t guarantee success. It’s when you hear those ridiculous phrases, such as “show ambition” or “speculate to accumulate”….just codes for endless money thrown at wages and transfer fees.

Conte might give Spurs 12 months of excitement, then turmoil and instability would follow. That enough to give anyone pause. Because, of course, Levy just got bitten by that with Mourinho.
Apart from we didn’t get 12 months of excitement - Conte wouldn’t be here in 5 years but he might get us back into the CL before the hissy fit. What will Martinez likely achieve? Avoiding relegation?

From Italy

Antonio Conte will not be the new Tottenham coach. In England they now take the black smoke for certain: positions too distant between the London club and the former Inter coach. The negotiation ran aground on several key questions: the technical project, which does not fully convince the Lecce coach, and the contractual proposal, also considered unsatisfactory. The Spurs have therefore decided to step back and go in search of a new manager.

I’d fully take Redknapp of 10 years ago back Right now.

I agree with your points but if you go down the route of going after Conte you raise fan expectation that we are going to spend big and go for it. Now he has to dial back expectation big time and that causes huge rift with the fans. He was a fool to start these negotiations.

I guess reporters like Gold and Romano could all by lying but we haven't heard a single unreasonable request made by him so far. If that were the case I would have to think the club would be leaking like crazy that the demands were unreasonable, especially through Gold.

7 staff and 200 million aren't unreasonable. Control over the team so that we can compete with our supposed rivals is not unreasonable.

Buying De Vrij to play for Conte is worth more than buying mediocre players like Andersen for 25m. De Vrij helps you win which brings in more money and makes it easier to attract better players.

If De Vrij is an example of what Levy thinks is an unreasonable request then it shows that he doesn't want to win. That he doesn't want to run this as a football club.

As for him getting good money on resales how is that going? Are we likely to make good money on guys like Dier, Winks, Sanchez, Aurier, Daveis, Lamela? How has he done managing that resale value on Dele? Maybe he should stop focusing on resale value and start focusing on football.
Since when did De Vrij become some amazing defender that helps you win things? You've probably never seen him play. The guy's won one league title in his illustrious career.

PL-proven and younger Andersen for 20m less is a better deal imo.

Accept that you and I and everyone else here has no fucking idea what demands were made.

Who knows what the heck is going on? My head is spinning with all the speculation we've been bombarded with in the last few weeks.
As I said before, I was never not going to renew, but the way things are going, and for the sake of my mental health, I may not the following season. There's only so much incompetence that even the most zealous supporter can take. It's not the fact that we haven't won anything in decades, it's like now we're not even showing that we're at least competing!
I've been through a roller coaster of emotions through supporting Spurs over the last 50 years, and never expected it to be plain sailing. But the last few months have been draining to say the least ( COVID, Mourinho, VAR) and I'm struggling to see any light at the end of a bloody long tunnel.
I've mostly supported Levy in the way he's run our Club, thinking he's done more good than harm. But he has made some very dubious decisions, and the cynic in me agrees that Conte was just a diversion tactic - no way was he going to be the right 'fit' as a Levy appointment. The sooner he and Lewis sell up, the better IMO.
Anyway, I'm going to avoid any threads about a new manager, Levy/ENIC, Harry Kane, Transfers, until there is an official announcement, and I'm going to try and enjoy my summer.
Thank goodness that I no longer have to face all the Chav/Man U/spammers/goons at work - I've just haven't got any comebacks to their "banter"!

Since when did De Vrij become some amazing defender that helps you win things? You've probably never seen him play. The guy's won one league title in his illustrious career.

PL-proven and younger Andersen for 20m less is a better deal imo.

Accept that you and I and everyone else here has no fucking idea what demands were made.

I would say he became a defender that helps you win things when he helped Inter win the league. And in this scenario we are going off Conte wanting him so really what you or I think doesn't matter.

I think it is pretty clear that there were no crazy demands made or we would have heard about them now. The reporting on this whole saga has been pretty well covered so it seems unlikely that the over the top demands would have been missed and that Levy would be keeping those quiet while the fan base roasts him over his handling of the whole thing.

I have seen him play but not surprised to see you go to that weak insult.

Apparently the author, Romeo Argesti, is pretty reliable for Paratici and Conte.

If this is even remotely true...

It is understood that if Kane was to be sold, however, Conte wanted guarantees that at least part of the fee generated from the sale - likely to be in excess of £100 million ($141m) - would have been used to sign an adequate replacement.

Again, though, the two did not see eye to eye.

Then we might as well just close up shop as a club. It would be a disgrace.

I should think every club in premier league is laughing at us right now . If you want to be a successful club/ business then don’t you hire the best . Speculate to accumulate was how I ran my decorating business you want the best people working for you. So you pay top dollar to get them and keep them .

Well, if that led to you being the King of Bedfordshire, we should probably all listen.

We are a fucking joke club.
I love us.
It's embarrassing.
Fuck levy....if this was a ploy to get more season tickets it worked but he's counted us all off. Imagine if that shiny new stadium was empty for a couple of weeks due to fan boycott....how would enic enjoy that. FFS.

Not even levy could go so low. Surely?
Reinvesting from sales is Levy's MO, it's how he built the squad.

Nonsense to say he wouldn't reinvest cash from selling Kane.

Perhaps it's more nuanced, Conte wanted a £100m player to replace him and Levy wouldn't spend so much on one player?

Or, more likely imo, it's just a BS statement

Apparently the author, Romeo Argesti, is pretty reliable for Paratici and Conte.

If this is even remotely true...

It is understood that if Kane was to be sold, however, Conte wanted guarantees that at least part of the fee generated from the sale - likely to be in excess of £100 million ($141m) - would have been used to sign an adequate replacement.

Again, though, the two did not see eye to eye.

Then we might as well just close up shop as a club. It would be a disgrace.
I wouldn't be surprised if Levy was just looking for every way possible to get out of negotiating with Conte. Ticket renewal date had passed, the plan had worked, no need to flirt with Conte anymore

Back
Top Bottom