Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whole thing looks a mess. Levy is absolutely destroying his relationship with the fans, ESL, Jose now this crap. If there is a plan it looks like shit, we don’t have the money to do a Chelsea or City so why go for Conte. It’s brain dead!
Im reticent to pin all the blame on Levy, Conte’s wig has a lot of sway…

Im reticent to pin all the blame on Levy, Conte’s wig has a lot of sway…

Fair enough but you don’t touch someone like Conte unless you have £200m in the bank to spend and a clear plan to win the league soon as possible. He is not a project manager and he is a wild man.

Where did you get that from?

The discussion very strongly suggested that most fans wanted a DoF and for Levy to have less control over player purchases ... not for that control to pass to a manager.

I think for most fans it was either or. The most important thing was taking football decisions ions away from Levy and that hasn’t happened.

If you look at any discussion around Poch or Conte most supported them being backed to get the players they wanted and spend the money they deemed necessary.

I don’t quite get the anger: Conte’s not coming because he can’t buy a ready-made team as if he’s playing real-life FIFA, he’s ex-Chelsea and clearly a bit of a dick. He’s like an amped-up Jose. I was amazed so many people wanted him and clearly he doesn’t rate himself as a coach if he thinks he can’t take on a project and actually improve players. I was excited as if he came it meant there was a massive transfer fund: he doesn’t seem to be, but we’re no worse off than we were a few weeks back.

I’m worried we’ll end up with a coach I don’t rate but we won’t know anything until the season starts and the first few games are played - even without transfers. That’s part of the joyous jeopardy of it all.

He didn't want a ready-made team he wanted the power, money and ambition to build a team that could compete. He made reasonable requests, wanted similar things that he would get at our (supposed) rivals and was told no, Spurs don't have the ambition to compete for those things.

How would fans not be pissed at hearing that Levy has shown, once again, that we are not willing to be a big club, not willing to compete with the top teams and once again trying to do things on a shoestring budget with him being in charge of football?

Everyone that knows anything about football and conte knew his demands. Levy is a dumb cunt if he didn’t. I’m mad about negotiating to get this obvious conclusion and have everyone laughing at us now. If he never had serious talks with him because of his well known big demands we wouldn’t be so irate. We will end up with the exact same type of manager we could have in may just a month later

They are not devaluing their investment.
The eventual NFL franchise is the goal.
It has been a masterstroke

Even if that is the goal, I think at best it is a secondary goal, there is no way that no investing in Spurs helps that goal at all and hurts the overall value of the business.

Levy will not lose one minute of sleep over whether the fans are happy or not.

He is all soundbites - he probably strung Conte along just long enough to pass the season ticket renewal date.

How long is the waiting list? How many people were basing their decision to renew or not based on Conte rumours?

Almost every person I saw online that was wavering about renewing was based around the fact that if you give up the ticket it will be hard if not impossible to get it back with the massive waiting list.

I am sure that there are some who might have been influenced by Conte/Poch rumours but it would have to be a small number easily replaceable by those on the waiting list. I doubt Levy is ready to lose everything he is by this Conte news to gain a few more renewals that would have been easily replaced.

He didn't want a ready-made team he wanted the power, money and ambition to build a team that could compete. He made reasonable requests, wanted similar things that he would get at our (supposed) rivals and was told no, Spurs don't have the ambition to compete for those things.

How would fans not be pissed at hearing that Levy has shown, once again, that we are not willing to be a big club, not willing to compete with the top teams and once again trying to do things on a shoestring budget with him being in charge of football?
How do we know Conte made "reasonable" requests? And what is the definition of "reasonable"?

Here's a simple example. Conte says he needs new CBs. All of TFC would agree wholeheartedly.

It's rumoured that the CB Conte wanted to buy from Inter was Stefan de Vrij, 29 years old, and valued at £45 million.

If signing de Vrij instantly turned us into PL contenders & helped persuade Kane to stay for another year, you could certainly argue that Conte was making a "reasonable" request.

But Levy & ENIC's business model has never involved buying 29-year-olds for £45 million, because he relies on getting good money in resales and ideally covering the original transfer. He even doubled his (our) money on Eriksen despite there being only 6 months left on the Dane's contract.

So I'm sure that Levy would not judge £45 million on a 29-year-old CB as a "reasonable request".

Now the more worrying aspect is whether Levy would pay £45 million or even £62 million on a CB in their mid-20s, like Skriniar or Ruben Dias. The evidence suggests he wouldn't do that either.

And I would judge £45 million on a top class 24-year-old CB as a risk worth taking and a "reasonable" request.

One man for the job
Premier League Sam GIF by Play Sports
I shit you not, I’d actually be interested to see what he could do with a decent squad.

No point in appointing him at spurs then.
:troll:

How do we know Conte made "reasonable" requests? And what is the definition of "reasonable"?

Here's a simple example. Conte says he needs new CBs. All of TFC would agree wholeheartedly.

It's rumoured that the CB Conte wanted to buy from Inter was Stefan de Vrij, 29 years old, and valued at £45 million.

If signing de Vrij instantly turned us into PL contenders & helped persuade Kane to stay for another year, you could certainly argue that Conte was making a "reasonable" request.

But Levy & ENIC's business model has never involved buying 29-year-olds for £45 million, because he relies on getting good money in resales and ideally covering the original transfer. He even doubled his (our) money on Eriksen despite there being only 6 months left on the Dane's contract.

So I'm sure taht Levy would not judge £45 million on a 29-year-old CB as a "reasonable request".

Now the more worrying aspect is whether Levy would pay £45 million or even £62 million on a CB in their mid-20s, like Skriniar or Ruben Dias. The evidence suggests he wouldn't do that either. 0

And I would judge £45 million on a top class 24-year-old CB as a risk worth taking and a "reasonable" request.

I guess reporters like Gold and Romano could all by lying but we haven't heard a single unreasonable request made by him so far. If that were the case I would have to think the club would be leaking like crazy that the demands were unreasonable, especially through Gold.

7 staff and 200 million aren't unreasonable. Control over the team so that we can compete with our supposed rivals is not unreasonable.

Buying De Vrij to play for Conte is worth more than buying mediocre players like Andersen for 25m. De Vrij helps you win which brings in more money and makes it easier to attract better players.

If De Vrij is an example of what Levy thinks is an unreasonable request then it shows that he doesn't want to win. That he doesn't want to run this as a football club.

As for him getting good money on resales how is that going? Are we likely to make good money on guys like Dier, Winks, Sanchez, Aurier, Daveis, Lamela? How has he done managing that resale value on Dele? Maybe he should stop focusing on resale value and start focusing on football.

Oh hum,,,

It has just confirmed what we all really knew. Leopards changing their spots and all that !!

I hope those that renew'd their season ticket on the deadline, are emailing the club if they feel cheated..

How long is the waiting list? How many people were basing their decision to renew or not based on Conte rumours?

Almost every person I saw online that was wavering about renewing was based around the fact that if you give up the ticket it will be hard if not impossible to get it back with the massive waiting list.

I am sure that there are some who might have been influenced by Conte/Poch rumours but it would have to be a small number easily replaceable by those on the waiting list. I doubt Levy is ready to lose everything he is by this Conte news to gain a few more renewals that would have been easily replaced.

Well we have been waiting for pretty long.

I applaud everyone who's renewing season tickets this year. It's what supporters do, but hats off to you all.

Supporters are just that.
Through thick and thin they will hand over their hard earned.

Levy though, is a cunt.

From the Super League crap to entering into a space he shouldn't have and left the Club looking like amateurs.

I voted for Poch. Nostalgia and all that. However to allow this fucking debacle to reach this point shows you all you need to know about Levy and co.

You want to play with the big boys ? Aim up or don't go there. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom