Anzhi Makhachkala (Russia) - Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should win this comfortably. Hope AVB rests Vertonghen for this match. Played both games against Villa and Chelsea.

Would like to see this team...

Lloris
Naughton Vlad Dawson (Kaboul if fit) Fryers

Sandro Holtby
Lamela Kane Chadli
Defoe
i agree with you ,but less one spot ,i think will be Dawson-Chiriches first,or Kaboul then (if is in fit) with Chiriches,why? just think about Vlad Chiriches played 10 matches in Europa League ,last season for Steaua,and i repeat his results in those matches: in the group stage Steaua 6 matches alongside-Molde(Norway),Stuttgart(Germany),FC Kobenhavn(Denmark) (Steaua was the winner of the group stage -3W,2D,1L-11points,he scored against Molde ,with that "bycicle kick from penalty area),then in the next round ,they meet Ajax Amsterdam in the Last 16,after 0-2 in Amsterdam,Steaua made a huge succesfull return the negattive result making 2-0 (Chiriches assist and a goal,probably his best match ever in Steaua t-shirt,like LCB) winning then on penalties after extra-time,then in the Last 8 round he meet Chelsea,after he won with Steaua 1-0 home,in the second leg they lost in London,Stamford Bridge 1-3,with Chiriches scoring the only goal for Steaua (min.45)
so,he played 10 games in Europa League -3 goals like central back...is huge in my opinion,and his morale is very high in this competition (Europa League),just think about that, he will play without fear,swimming like a shark in the ocean,...i think AVB will consider this...or i will be disappointed if he not choosing him in this game,then with West Ham,next game i will play with Dawson-Vertonghen again

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I think Defoe deserves more time in the league than he is getting (could have had a few more minutes against Chelsea), but he still hasn't done enough to deserve an automatic start next weekend ahead of Soldado in my opinion. Don't forget that the only time Soldado has played against weaker opposition this season he has also impressed and scored 2 goals (Tbilisi away).

What happens if Soldado starts and scores 2 again on Thursday like Defoe has been doing as well - does Soldado still deserve to be dropped against West Ham? As it stands, we're 3rd in the league when Soldado has been starting, and Soldado got an assist against Chelsea at the weekend. Defoe was injured at the start of the Premier League season. The moment that Defoe comes on and wins us a Premier League match is the moment he can automatically start the next weekend. But till then, if it ain't broke...

I'm starting Defoe on the basis that it's West Ham, he fucking loves scoring against them

Not quite. Actually - the game will be played at the Saturn Stadium

Home to FC Saturn Moscow, it holds 16,500 and was built in 1999.

stadiumsaturn.jpg

4064_ori_saturn_stadium.jpg

Yeah, the Russian press was recycling stories from last year where Anzhi played "big clubs" in Lokomotiv for the EL, I should have checked more carefully. That's actually good for us, because the pitch at Saturn will be in much better shape than Lokomotiv's - which is just being used far too heavily right now.

Saturn is a nice little stadium - it's not really easy to get to, but the pitch is very good and the stadium is tiny and can be quite loud (when it has a football team in it, Saturn has gone bust a couple of times in recent years).

If you have serious cash (like £20 per drink) and want to see some of the hottest women on the planet - http://km19.ru/

If you want to get drunk for cheap (well, the Moscow version of cheap), party all night and possibly meet girls who like foreigners - http://www.propagandamoscow.com/

If you want to drink late into the night while discussing Russian literature over vodka - http://www.clubmayak.ru/

And if you are watching it on TV you can drink shitty lager in your pants and flick over to babestation at half time.

I don't think playing on some raggy pitch in Moscow against inferior opposition will really do anything for him. He scored against Tiblisi remember. He's not doing badly right now, this whole reaction to him from a few Spurs fans is totally knee jerk.
so a discussion about how to get the best out of him is knee jerk - is it? I would suggest that stifling any kind of discussion and making out that anyone who wants to discuss is simply panicking is a little bit more of a knee jerk reaction. The whole idea is that people can discuss things here, not to use the board as an opportunity to belittle people who want to talk about spurs players and how they are playing.
That said - I do agree with your assessment that the match is going to do little to bolster his self confidence, its playing constantly with the same players who make his supply lines that he needs, not constantly changing faces around him.

Why is the game in Moscow? That is nowhere near where their home ground is? (ah - the home ground is unsuitable for Euro ties so they play at Lokomotivs ground!)

edit - or not if arcwelder is right..........

so a discussion about how to get the best out of him is knee jerk - is it? I would suggest that stifling any kind of discussion and making out that anyone who wants to discuss is simply panicking is a little bit more of a knee jerk reaction. The whole idea is that people can discuss things here, not to use the board as an opportunity to belittle people who want to talk about spurs players and how they are playing.
That said - I do agree with your assessment that the match is going to do little to bolster his self confidence, its playing constantly with the same players who make his supply lines that he needs, not constantly changing faces around him.

Why is the game in Moscow? That is nowhere near where their home ground is? (ah - the home ground is unsuitable for Euro ties so they play at Lokomotivs ground!)

edit - or not if arcwelder is right..........

Come on Mick. No one is stifling discussion, but some of the criticism is completely in warranted. And thus knee jerk.

Come on Mick. No one is stifling discussion, but some of the criticism is completely in warranted. And thus knee jerk.
I just saw a discussion, rather than anyone saying sellhim/drop him. We ALL want him to succeed, we simply want to talk about ways in which to achieve it
....not that it makes a farts worth of difference either way, as to the best of my knowledge AVB doesn't scour the message boards looking for advice......
:)

Back
Top Bottom