Argentinian internationals and Quarantine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane vibes all over again 🤦‍♀️

What do you do though. The players really do have all the power. They are paid so much that you can fine them a months wages and they won't blink. You can't sack them because they are an asset. You could suspend them but that isn't really a punishment other than to the club.

What do you do though. The players really do have all the power. They are paid so much that you can fine them a months wages and they won't blink. You can't sack them because they are an asset. You could suspend them but that isn't really a punishment other than to the club.
Also FAs and Fifa are the regulators, I can imagine when all appeals are done it will be the clubs who didn't release players will be the ones that end up getting fined rather than the players let left.

Be interesting to see if the Brazilian FA apply 5 day rule for those who didn't travel.

This may be the powershift from FIFA to the clubs and/or UEFA

This is an absolute shambles.

The club tweeted congratulations to the players so they must have been allowed to go. Its either back covering, utter incompetence or both by the club
Or the 25 year old marketing employee running the twotter account isn't really privvy to the inner sanctum of the club, nor on the top of Levy's contact list.

I'd imagine that its standard at most clubs, SM employees not being the most informed. We see gaffes all the time. Typical practice for the club to post a note wishing players luck on their internationals, plausible the twitter guy just did it per usual. At that point, deleting it would have been a bigger issue as it would have been caught and become a huge controversy.

Possible, with the marketing side of SM and what not, that the club is contractually obligated to recognize players' international escapades? Don't know, don't get on the Twitter really...but if I were an agent I'd definitely be expecting the club to big up my client and make sure they have to.

The way most these guys live, they'll definitely miss a month's wages. Wouldn't, shouldn't, hurt as much as it would the common man...but they'll feel it.

Fine them first, if they do it in the same situation in the next break, suspend them. Third offence, yes, sack them by flogging them in January. Unfortunate, but an asset unable to fulfill their contract through insubordination isn't really an asset.

It was a stupid decision on their behalf.

The leagues need to inform FIFA that they can either wake the fuck up and face the reality that a global pandemic is on and they need to rearrange qualifying, or they can get fucked on their winter WC next spring and they won't be adjusting their domestic schedules to suit it.

They absolutely shouldn’t be fined. If they are, it’s their babysitters that should pay them. All players have agents to deal with the mundane stuff us regular shit kickers have to sort out if we are going abroad. I’m sure their advisors/PR people get paid very well to tell them which countries they can/can’t visit, what paperwork they need and what the quarantine rules are. It’s a fuck up from FIFA, the Argentinian and Brazilian FA’s And probably some hapless personal secretary. The players themselves probably never even considered any of this, such is their cosseted lifestyle. If THFC have actually made this fining issue public then it’s a disgrace.
Marching into the pitch Nazi style was a very Bolsonaro thing to do from the little I know about him and his regime. There were multiple opportunities to point this out, even when the teams were announced. To leave it until the poor buggers were on the pitch is the real shambles in this

This is the sort of situation where no individual party is doing the "wrong" thing but by everybody holding their ground, we're getting an absolute cluster fuck of a situation.

Ultimately these games should not be played right now, and that's the crux of the issue.

Oh lookee - the lunatic fascist dictator Bolsonaro is allegedly planning a military coup.

Anyone who's been even vaguely following events in Brazil knows Bolsonaro thinks "a real man shouldn't be afraid of Covid-19", so the notion his government could care less about double-jabbed athletes entering the country & staying in swanky hotels is absolute nonsense.

As is the notion that Brazilian authorities did not realise that UK-based footballers had been resident in the UK during the last 14 days. The fact GLC, Romero & co flew in from Venezuela is completely irrelevant.

FIFA, the Brazilian FA and the Argentine FA have clearly failed to agree and maintain the Covid protocols that elite athletes have been living in for months. But that is on the money-grubbing authorities, not the players who fundamentally just want to play football for their countries.

It's clear El Loco Bolsonaro saw a chance to exploit populist anger, and in an act of high farce marched the Covid Police onto a football pitch several minutes into one of the great fixtures of world football.

------------------------

Brazil: warning Bolsonaro may be planning military coup amid rallies​

Former world leaders and public figures say nationwide marches are modelled on US Capitol insurrection

Brazil: warning Bolsonaro may be planning military coup amid rallies

Last edited:
Amazing that Brazil could miraculously host the Copa America with minimum notice or organisation. Now they are all sanctimonious over 4 players. Their own president and government officials have broken every covid rule going.
Dodgy cunts
Plus according to grauniad, Bolsonaro might be planning a military coup to strengthen his grip.

I note that the official twitter made no mention of the Spurs' players "games" yesterday. They congratulated all our other international participants.
I can't find any tweets congratulating the selection of the Covid 3.

I note that the official twitter made no mention of the Spurs' players "games" yesterday. They congratulated all our other international participants.
I can't find any tweets congratulating the selection of the Covid 3.

"Congrats to Gio and Cuti who completed 6 minutes of frenetic action in Brazil yesterday, well done lads!"

Back
Top Bottom