Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing hugely important here, I´m just amazed with his intelligence in general. He seems to be a really nice guy, but he is also fast and very direct in his answers - he understands everything. And, of course, he´s a true soldier and team player.

and he'll be today's captain

Not everyones cup of a tea but you'd be hard pressed to find better backup LB's.

Nothing hugely important here, I´m just amazed with his intelligence in general. He seems to be a really nice guy, but he is also fast and very direct in his answers - he understands everything. And, of course, he´s a true soldier and team player.

Out of the current squad I think Ben is one of those that is going to have a decent career either as a manager or director at a club once he is done playing.

Hopefully Sess is no longer scared of his own shadow and come in as our back up at LB next season.

Jury still out as to whether he can compete physically in the prem as a defender.

Davies still getting regular game time in 2021 is evidence of how shoddy our recruitment has been.

Ben is a good player, he gets horribly underserved criticism on here. He’s a good squad player who always works hard, he’s intelligent and generally secure with and without the ball. He’s rarely injured too.

The way some fans speak about him is so strange. He is a generally steady player and not one who has a transformative effect on the team either positively or negatively.

Ben is a good player, he gets horribly underserved criticism on here. He’s a good squad player who always works hard, he’s intelligent and generally secure with and without the ball. He’s rarely injured too.

The way some fans speak about him is so strange. He is a generally steady player and not one who has a transformative effect on the team either positively or negatively.
He is considered "safe" because he's not liable to do an Aurier and just bundle someone over for a pen.
He is generally okay one on one except against the very elite attackers which is fair enough.

For me it is his lack of threat going forward, we just lose that fear factor on that side in an attacking sense when he plays.

and he'll be today's captain

Not everyones cup of a tea but you'd be hard pressed to find better backup LB's.

Alex Telles
Tyrick Mitchell
Dan Burn
Cieran Clark
Marcos Alonso
Ben Johnson
Zinchenko
Alioski
James Justin
Erik Pieters
Kostas Tsimakis
Joe Bryan

Wasn't that hard and there are likely more that I missed.

The "safe" nonsense and steady 6/10 BS is such a myth.

He isn't safe he is limited. Defensively he is terrible one on one and has to play off and so tight to the CB's because he can't handle attackers, good or bad, out wide in open space.

The reason he gets credit for being good defensively is because he is so poor attacking and played a lot of games that people just assume he must be good defensively or why would he play, but when you watch him he sucks.

Out of our 4 FB's he is without a doubt the worst defensively.

Alex Telles
Tyrick Mitchell
Dan Burn
Cieran Clark
Marcos Alonso
Ben Johnson
Zinchenko
Alioski
James Justin
Erik Pieters
Kostas Tsimakis
Joe Bryan

Wasn't that hard and there are likely more that I missed.
Ok so let's go through them

Telles - I agree
Mitchell - is first choice at Palace and they wouldn't sell him cheap
Burn - No lol
Clark - No lol
Alonso - good at LWB but that's it
Johnson - nah
Zinchenko - he's alright but Davies would do well under pep probs
Alioski - nope
Justin - a) A RB b) He should be our first choice RB
Peiters - Nope
Tsimakis - Yeah I'd prefer him
Bryan - backup at Fulham so nah

Only Tsimakis and Telles are actually better than him

Ok so let's go through them

Telles - I agree
Mitchell - is first choice at Palace and they wouldn't sell him cheap
Burn - No lol
Clark - No lol
Alonso - good at LWB but that's it
Johnson - nah
Zinchenko - he's alright but Davies would do well under pep probs
Alioski - nope
Justin - a) A RB b) He should be our first choice RB
Peiters - Nope
Tsimakis - Yeah I'd prefer him
Bryan - backup at Fulham so nah

Only Tsimakis and Telles are actually better than him

If not Justin then chose Periera or Castagne. Both can play LB. Leicester doesn't have 3 starting FB's.

Zinchenko is flat out better not just because he is at City. Put him and Davies on the same team Zinchenko is much better.

Every one of your BS wrongs are wrong so they all stay on the list. Alonso is better at LB or LWB.

Mitchell has started less than Van Arnholdt, who is also better than Davies so feel free to put him on the list ahead of Davies if it makes you feel better.

So no the list is not two guys just because you want to be a homer.

Edit:

That was me making the list being very kind to Davies, there are a lot of other guys who are better but that homers like you would cry about so didn't want to waste time listening to you cry about them.

If not Justin then chose Periera or Castagne. Both can play LB. Leicester doesn't have 3 starting FB's.

Zinchenko is flat out better not just because he is at City. Put him and Davies on the same team Zinchenko is much better.

Every one of your BS wrongs are wrong so they all stay on the list. Alonso is better at LB or LWB.

Mitchell has started less than Van Arnholdt, who is also better than Davies so feel free to put him on the list ahead of Davies if it makes you feel better.

You think Ciaran Clark is better than Ben Davies?
Cmon.

Oh no..

Anyway I cant be arsed to argue about Ben Davies. I agree he isn't the best but for me he is someone who can cover ok at LB and CB hence I'd keep him.

I think can be your 6th CB/3rd LB maybe the 25th guy on your roster that plays against the likes of LASK, Marine, Wycombe, Brentford but he should not be getting PL minutes even if our first choice LB is out and certainly can't be the first/only option if our LB is out for an extended time.

Ideally you would have a back-up FB that could play both sides and then maybe Ben can be the 4th FB in that scenario so the 3rd choice guy would go in ahead of him.

I also don't hate keeping him if we bring Sessegnon back to be 2nd choice behind Reguilon.

If and I say if Sess is considered good enough (I have my doubts there) to rotate with Reguilon next season then I would convert Davies to CB. He is better than Sanchez and Toby is getting older and Davies is not worse than Dier. He does not make so many silly mistakes as others

Edit:

That was me making the list being very kind to Davies, there are a lot of other guys who are better but that homers like you would cry about so didn't want to waste time listening to you cry about them.
I have to disagree with this.

PVA is one of the worst defenders the Prem has ever seen. Diabolical positioning and just a complete liability. He is ok getting forward, so maybe that weighs heavily for you.

My Palace mates can't stand him and have said it for years.

Mitchell looks like he might end up being alright but he could easily become a Championship left back and never go higher. He has had some stinkers too.

Some of the others on that list gave me a good chuckle too

The "safe" nonsense and steady 6/10 BS is such a myth.

He isn't safe he is limited. Defensively he is terrible one on one and has to play off and so tight to the CB's because he can't handle attackers, good or bad, out wide in open space.

The reason he gets credit for being good defensively is because he is so poor attacking and played a lot of games that people just assume he must be good defensively or why would he play, but when you watch him he sucks.

Out of our 4 FB's he is without a doubt the worst defensively.
Not a chance he’s worse than Doherty defensively

Back
Top Bottom